Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 12-01-20, 11:31 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Decided I'm still all-in on my steel canti track-spaced sscx rig for next year and am going to build a third set of wheels whether I need them or not, because it's fun. 24h 2X/32h 3X, Stans Neo front hub, tried and true Surly rear hub to DT R460's and Sapim Lasers. Black hubs and silver spokes instead of silver hubs and black spokes. Yee Haw!
Likes For 50voltphantom:
Old 12-23-20, 03:23 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
...rode fixed gear for the first time ever. Not sure if I liked it or not. It will need to grow on me some, I reckon.
Old 12-24-20, 06:01 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman
...rode fixed gear for the first time ever. Not sure if I liked it or not. It will need to grow on me some, I reckon.
Nice! It probably will grow on you. I remember riding fixed for the first time and laughing at myself while trying to coast. Fun times

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 12-25-20, 10:17 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Nice! It probably will grow on you. I remember riding fixed for the first time and laughing at myself while trying to coast. Fun times

Dave
Lol! I did that one time. I was riding and mentally "zoning out", not a good thing to do I guess, when I thought I'd coast. I didn't fall, but it was quite a shock to the system. Don't try it at home!
Old 12-27-20, 04:09 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Yes, that's the biggest thing - you can't stop pedaling. At least not w/o being surprised by what happens next. It really is not as bad as I thought it would be though. I am slowing down a bit on turns because I am concerned about pedal strike.
Old 12-27-20, 08:06 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
It only takes one or two reminders by the chain to train the legs not to coast. Usually more scary than dangerous. Soon it will become second nature.
Old 07-18-21, 08:29 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
warning, cross posting this in a couple other sub-forums, just gotta share it where I can:

Local phenom Antonio Rossi just won the Junior 17-18 national IP! This makes me feel all sorts of things, but mostly elated, and proud. He also got second in the points and third overall in the ominum.

He is the number one kid that I am scared of at TNR. Most of the time I can make the selection with him, but me and others (incl. local pros, USA crits types) are just getting spanked since he seems to be able to lift the pace or attack at will from a full gas paceline. I've ridden a number of key selections/breaks with him in road bike racing scenarios as well. When I'm going really good (for me), I like to think that he's someone that he can count on to drive a move. Certainly not a threat, so maybe someone he enjoys having around haha

I've watched this kid for about 4 years now and I remember when he was barely hanging on in the A's. Pre-pandemic he was already a little scary, and his dad (also a racer, seen below cheering) would LMK when I had to worry about him or not. He is focused on his schooling and has other activities that he participates in too, and seems to be able to whip himself up into top shape with a few weeks of training.

He's a real talent, and now it confirms my suspicions that he is world-class. Between his cycling and other pursuits (pun intended), I'm quite excited to see what's next for Antonio!

Father Andrea cheering in the foreground
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-19-21, 06:05 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Today I commuted for the first time on my new, lower gearing and it was great. Switched from 49x16 to 46x17, and I think I really hit a sweet spot with it. Easier acceleration/deceleration, and a more comfortable spin. Can still go as fast as I need to for city riding and feel more in control overall. Wish I’d switched earlier!
Old 07-22-21, 09:16 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Today I, posted in this thread for the first time in probably over 5~6 years. Haven't really ridden seriously in about that long (off and on, here and there rides)

Last week I rode with the original thread starter of this thread. Is anyone else still around? Hi Tmonk! I sorta remember you
Likes For Jaytron:
Old 07-26-21, 02:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Jaytron
Today I, posted in this thread for the first time in probably over 5~6 years. Haven't really ridden seriously in about that long (off and on, here and there rides)

Last week I rode with the original thread starter of this thread. Is anyone else still around? Hi Tmonk! I sorta remember you
Much of the "old guard" is gone, but you'll still see a few of us kickin' around. Nice to see you active on BF, and glad you're still riding!
Old 07-26-21, 02:56 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Much of the "old guard" is gone, but you'll still see a few of us kickin' around. Nice to see you active on BF, and glad you're still riding!
Thanks! Nice to see you're still around and riding as well! I've definitely had times where I don't ride for long periods of time, but still try and get back to it here and there.

I think forums in general are sort of growing out of style, not "instant" enough for this day and age I suppose.

Today I did some skwaats and re-wrapped my bars. I definitely did one side wrong but can't be bothered to fix it, lol.
Likes For Jaytron:
Old 07-28-21, 06:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

my bar tape jobs are usually pretty horrible lol
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-02-21, 11:54 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Today I have what looks exactly like a serious hickey on the side of my neck, about midway between my collarbone and jawline. I swear it is a bee sting.

I was out for a nice ride Saturday afternoon, just minding my own business and not bothering anyone, least of all the local insects. During a short, steep descent, with both of my hands on the bar in preparation for braking at an upcoming intersection, something started stinging me. I could do nothing about it for several seconds. As soon as I could safely pull over and stop, I used my phone camera to check the damage. I didn't see anything at that time, and I proceeded with my ride. Arriving at home a few hours later, I checked in the mirror and found there was still a stinger embedded in the skin. Getting it out was easy enough, but today it still itches, and it's red and slightly swollen.

I swear it's not from fooling around. It's a bee sting from my bike ride. My wife saw it and just laughed. She's been stung several times while riding, usually inside her bra! We can't figure out what makes the nasty critters fly in there and then attack, but they do.
Old 08-03-21, 02:36 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Today I have what looks exactly like a serious hickey on the side of my neck, about midway between my collarbone and jawline. I swear it is a bee sting.
I did a 100K charity ride in June and one guy in my little group was stung on his lower lip. I never saw a lip swell up like that before, it was kind of comical. He was a trooper and finished the ride.
Old 09-22-21, 02:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Today I celebrated the beginning of fall by replacing my chain and coincidentally bumping up my gearing to 71", which is what I usually use in the summer. Just been spinning around for the last couple years...

...and now my quads and calves are feeling it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-22-21 at 06:01 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-22-21, 08:18 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,226 Posts
Today I went on a very wet road ride.

Then came home and continued my search for a set of track hubs I can lace to some rims I've got. I want to build out my my chrome Super Le Tour frame in to a casual fixed gear, fendered commuter. Given the age of it, high flange hubs with cutouts would be the most appropriate I think.

I know new bike parts are hard to come by, but even used stuff is ridiculously hard to find!

Last edited by abshipp; 09-22-21 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 09-23-21, 01:00 PM
mrosenlof
Slowpoke

Bikes: old Stumpjumper, Riv Simple One, Riv Cheviot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went for a lunchtime ride. about 19km, rolling hills, lovely weather. single speed, not sure of the gear-inches
Old 09-24-21, 01:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Today I checked my email to see if I got a message that my tubular wheelset with backordered Paul hubs I ordered seven weeks ago was ready yet. Not yet haha. They did say "at least" six weeks
Old 10-05-21, 07:48 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 21 Posts
Today I was almost killed when couple of teenagers tossed grapefruit-sized rock off 30 foot overpass, barely missing me.

Heavily trafficked foot / bike trail that I ride all the time; there are no rocks, bricks, chunks of cement, cinderblock, etc. on the bridge so they had to have brought it with them; and they attempted to silently slink away when I hollered at them so it was absolutely intentional (not that 'trundling' is any better).

PSA: Keep an eye on overpasses ;[
Likes For PIFFLE:
Old 10-06-21, 08:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

damn d00d that's sketchy. kids man. glad you weren't hit.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-07-21, 03:46 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFFLE
Today I was almost killed when couple of teenagers tossed grapefruit-sized rock off 30 foot overpass, barely missing me.

Heavily trafficked foot / bike trail that I ride all the time; there are no rocks, bricks, chunks of cement, cinderblock, etc. on the bridge so they had to have brought it with them; and they attempted to silently slink away when I hollered at them so it was absolutely intentional (not that 'trundling' is any better).

PSA: Keep an eye on overpasses ;[
Glad you are ok. I hope you made a call.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 12-28-21, 03:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Today it's finally snowing in eastern Iowa. Not sure how many years since we've had a "white Christmas", but it's still weird for me.

Anyways, that means studded tires (Suomi W160) and lower gearing (59") to better propel them. And now I'm trying Soma Portola bars -- real bar tape is waiting until I'm happy with the position:

My old handlebars had a lot of drop and reach. Great for speed in the summertime, but all that weight on the front wheel caused it to dig into snow and mud, making it hard to control before halting my progress entirely. The Portola bars made a noticeable improvement, allowing my front wheel stay on top of all but the slushiest snow.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-28-21 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-29-21, 10:43 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Today I replaced the tube on the rear wheel of the RockHopper. It had been patched a while back but seemed to have recently developed a slow leak, so I splurged and put on a new tube.

I have to say that I am so impressed with the 26x2.2 Speed King. Not only does it ride about like a RTP from Rene Herse, but it has just enough tread to function in the rear on our slippery trail patches (at least so far this “winter”) and it also can be pulled off the rim without tools to swap a tube. It goes back on so easy that it requires essentially no hand strength. Changing a tube with the RTP involved both tools and curse words. 😊

Otto
Old 04-05-22, 03:03 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Today I remembered that I used to post here a lot. Sup yall
Likes For Muffin Man:
Old 04-06-22, 08:00 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
^Same. Had to swing by to post pics of my SSCX because new parts. Also my favorite bike I own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.