Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless rim requirements?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-28-21, 11:41 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts

Hi folks,

Just curious, are special rims required for a tubeless setup or will thenproper tape work with tubeless tires, bolt-in stem and sealant? I have several vintage bikes that I would like to switch to tubeless, but really don’t want to redo the wheels.

Thanks & regards,

Van
Old 08-28-21, 11:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
True tubeless rims are "hooked" in order to retain the tire.
Clinchers don't require that same hook.

Ghetto tubeless setups, well......... it's up to you.

Barry
Old 08-28-21, 11:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I wouldn't do it. There are significant differences between older rims and tubeless rims. The most important one from a safety perspective is probably the bead retention lip.

People have done it, that's how Stan's got their start since there weren't any tubeless rims.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-28-21, 12:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2

Barry
Could you post a picture showing the retention hook that you are referring to? I have tubeless ready DT Swiss R460 rims and I don't believe they are have "hooks". What they do have though is a clearly defined "shelf" that has a specific square geometry to the outer part of the interior of the rim. To me this works with the square bead of a full tubeless tire to promote an airtight seal.
Old 08-28-21, 12:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think I have some DT road rims in both tubeless and not tubeless versions. The hook that's important is at the edge of the shelf near the center channel. My newer rims have it, the older one I have doesn't
I think the older rim would work fine tubeless for the most part, but losing air could be a lot more rapid. I have it taped for tubeless, and it's a rear wheel, so maybe I will run it tubeless.

Seems like companies are making "hookless" rims again. I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing. In this diagram, the part that stops rapid air loss is the "hump"

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-28-21 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-28-21, 02:34 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Thanks for the feedback.
I forgot to mention that all these wheels have hook bead rim, just not “tubeless ready”.
Cheers,
Van
Old 08-28-21, 03:27 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Thanks for the feedback.
I forgot to mention that all these wheels have hook bead rim, just not “tubeless ready”.
Cheers,
Van
Be aware, clinchers do have a tire retaining smooth cornered bump around the edge of the rim.
This not to be confused with the more square cornered hook on a tubeless ready rim.

Barry
Old 08-28-21, 03:27 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2

Barry
Wrong. Almost all normal clincher rims have a hook. What they don't have is the little lip on the edge of the shelf that the tubeless tire pops over when it seats. See the diagram that someone else posted. There are more hookless tubeless rims than hookless clinchers. That's why nearly every clincher tire says something like: 'For use on hooked rims only'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-28-21, 03:39 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Wrong.
Try some, you’ll like it!
Old 08-28-21, 03:49 PM
cxwrench

What, are you such a sensitive guy you can't deal w/ being corrected? How was my post not tactful? Because I use the word 'wrong'?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-28-21, 05:02 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think I have some DT road rims in both tubeless and not tubeless versions. The hook that's important is at the edge of the shelf near the center channel. My newer rims have it, the older one I have doesn't
I think the older rim would work fine tubeless for the most part, but losing air could be a lot more rapid. I have it taped for tubeless, and it's a rear wheel, so maybe I will run it tubeless.

Seems like companies are making "hookless" rims again. I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing. In this diagram, the part that stops rapid air loss is the "hump"

thanks for posting this. Do we know which specific rim extrusion we are looking at? Could it be a HED Belgium?
I purchased a couple extra DT Swiss R460's since they were super cheap during pre-covid times. I may have a close up look when I get home using my magnifier.
Old 08-28-21, 06:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Van
What rims do you have? There are enough stories of trouble here with wheels that are tubeless-compatible that I no interest in trying it with regular rims. Most new rims are tubeless-compatible, so that problem is working itself out anyway...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-28-21, 06:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by masi61
thanks for posting this. Do we know which specific rim extrusion we are looking at? Could it be a HED Belgium?
I purchased a couple extra DT Swiss R460's since they were super cheap during pre-covid times. I may have a close up look when I get home using my magnifier.
I think it's just a generic diagram. Apparently some tubeless rims have wider humps, but the ones on the DT rims I have are this size or smaller. They do keep the bead from dropping into the center channel fairly effectively though.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-29-21, 10:00 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What rims do you have? There are enough stories of trouble here with wheels that are tubeless-compatible that I no interest in trying it with regular rims. Most new rims are tubeless-compatible, so that problem is working itself out anyway...
First, I’d like to do the 29er disc wheels on my townie. Hubs are labeled Marin, no labels on the rims. I got them used at our local co-op. Next, I’d like to do the rims on my 2013 Ridley CX with Alex rims.
Cheers,
Van
Old 08-29-21, 02:34 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

First, I’d like to do the 29er disc wheels on my townie. Hubs are labeled Marin, no labels on the rims. I got them used at our local co-op. Next, I’d like to do the rims on my 2013 Ridley CX with Alex rims.
Cheers,
Van
What I'm getting at is that some rim models may be more able to do tubeless than others. Without any useful information, it's hard to advise either way.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-29-21, 09:17 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
If you're going ghetto tubeless, one factor is intended use. Will this be for road or mountain? Ghetto tubeless works better on mountain (or just low psi applications). For road or high psi use, better to get rims and tires that are marked tubeless ready.
Old 08-30-21, 09:29 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I'll add my voice to those advising against doing this, at least for road riding. I've read a horror story about a guy who was using tubeless tires on tubeless rims, but the tires were slightly wider than the rim maker specified for that rim, and had a catastrophic loss of pressure (and ambulance ride). Basically road tubeless is finicky enough that I would not mess around with an experimental or out-of-spec setup.

Tubeless tires interface with the rim differently than regular clinchers. Clinchers are retained by the hooks at the tops of the sidewalls. Tubeless tires are supposed to be snug against the rim bed, and those "humps" (as shown in underhausen's diagram) hold the beads in place so they can't squirm inward and burp out air. But there's even some debate within the industry about this: There are some tubeless rims that are hookless (operating on the assumption that if the tire is properly snug against the bed, the hook is redundant—this simplifies carbon rim fabrication and supposedly gives the tire a more aero profile on the rim)—I believe Zipp's current tubeless rims are hookless. But there are some tubeless tires (eg Continental) that say they require hooks (which may simply be a CYA belts-and-suspenders policy).
Old 08-30-21, 11:13 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
It's got something to do with the shape of the hook. Since they don't have spoke holes, I tried setting the bead on my Mavic Ksyrium SLs tubless. Big fail. Glad I found out before using sealant.
Old 08-30-21, 01:56 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It's got something to do with the shape of the hook. Since they don't have spoke holes, I tried setting the bead on my Mavic Ksyrium SLs tubless. Big fail. Glad I found out before using sealant.
If it's the shape of the hook can you explain how hookless tubeless rims manage to work? I'll wait.
Old 08-30-21, 02:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If it's the shape of the hook can you explain how hookless tubeless rims manage to work? I'll wait.
You win. I just looked up hookless tubeless rims. I didn't know there was such an animal. Got any more?
Old 08-30-21, 03:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
I recently converted the 26" Mavic X517 rims on my 20 year old MTB to tubeless, using the recipe recommended in a YouTube video. Old rim tape was removed, the inside of the rim was thoroughly cleaned, and wiped down with alcohol. Rim was sealed with 1 layer of electrical tape, plus 2 layers of Stan's tape. Tires mounted fairly easily, and inflated just fine with a standard floor pump.

I have had 1 flat where the tire burped on fairly hard impact after a stair-step drop-off. I was unable to get the tire to reseal on the trail (probably needed more sealant), and finished my ride with a tube. Being that I'm on an old bike with rim brakes, I suspect the rim may have gotten warm to the point of softening the sealant at the tire bead on a long and steep descent section, and the impact was just too much for it.

Other than that one issue, they've worked just fine for me, and are getting used about twice a week.

I'm not sure I would try this with old road rims.
Old 08-30-21, 04:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Mavic X517 looks like it was a good candidate. Mavics are often a tight fit, and that rim has a nice flat shelf for the beads with a well in the middle.

RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-30-21, 06:17 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
You win. I just looked up hookless tubeless rims. I didn't know there was such an animal. Got any more?
Any more what? Things I know about and you don't? Given enough time I could probably come up with a couple hundred. You learn about a lot of things after almost 30 years of doing it for a living.