Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I mix different-brand hydraulic brake levers, calipers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 12:01 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

Must hydraulic-brake lever and caliper be the same make/model to work together, or can some be mixed?
Has anyone tried a hack combining different makes?
For example, could I connect a TRP Hylex drop-bar lever to a Shimano Saint disc caliper or to a Magura HS33 rim-brake caliper?
I can imagine there might be not only mechanical connection issues but also hydraulic-pressure/volume issues with some, or all, combinations. But it seems like if the specs were the same or close, one could hack a mix.
A goofy idea, perhaps. I'm only interested in knowing if it's possible, not if I'm nuts!
Old 09-15-21, 12:43 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Unless you can find someone who has successfully tried it, assume the answer is no, for all the reasons you listed.

And even if someone claims to have done it successfully, you don't know their definition of 'successful' - maybe the calipers actuate but you have to pull five times harder on the lever. Maybe 1mm of lever movement will make the wheel lock up.
Similar experiments have been tried with pairing the various styles of cable actuated rim brakes with levers made for both long-pull (V and disc) and short pull (caliper and cantilever) brake levers, and claim to have been successful, but only because they don't seem to know how properly functioning brakes are meant to work or feel.
Old 09-15-21, 01:08 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
With hydraulics, it's all about piston diameters. If piston diameters match, exactly, I'd try it (only for myself and very carefully).

This is the exact analog of cable pull mismatches on V-brakes versus cantis or road calipers. And I see a lot of those on donations in our non-profit shop. Somehow they work and people ride them.
Old 09-15-21, 01:15 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Realistically, stick with one brand, and don't mix and match brands or types of brakes.

You have a few major issues you have consider

Fluid type, there are 2 main fluids used for MTB brakes, DOT and Mineral oil, SRAM and Formula uses DOT fluid, Shimano, Tektro (TRP) and Margura use mineral, all of these can (and do) have different spec fluids, different types are total incompatible, and even if they use the same basic fluid type may not be compatible with each other.

Open and closed systems, All current disc brakes use an open system (i.e. one with a reservoir) Magura HS brakes use a closed system (no reservoir) and are not interchangeable with open systems.

Stick to the same brand and type and you should have no issues with them working, although mixing older and new systems, say with Shimano and different spec hoses may result in lower performance than if all designed to work together; research & try at your own risk.

Currently there are no options for hydraulic drop bar rim brakes like Magura HS brakes which is what you appear to be looking for? SRAM has a hydraulically actuated rim brake (may not be currently available, research this) Magura used to offer HS-66 brakes (drop bar hydraulic rim) but these have been out of production for 2+ decades
Old 09-15-21, 01:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
First you would need to make sure they use the same type of oil. If you look at Hope RX4 calipers for instance they have different versions with different seal rings. Then you would need to make sure both brands fittings work on your hose. Finally you would have to tolerate whatever leverage you get
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-06-21, 06:49 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Formula uses DOT fluid
I'm looking at a picture of Formula's Cura 4 caliper (from Formula's website) and it says "mineral oil" right there on the caliper body:

Last edited by sjanzeir; 11-06-21 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 09:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Nope. Tried this a couple times w/ parts laying around at the shop. Doesn't work. It wasn't the piston size at all, it was the connecting hardware. One example: Shimano XTR caliper/hose to a Tektro lever. The hose was too small and neither the Shimano nor Tektro barbs/olives would seal.
Old 11-06-21, 11:27 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Nope. Tried this a couple times w/ parts laying around at the shop. Doesn't work. It wasn't the piston size at all, it was the connecting hardware. One example: Shimano XTR caliper/hose to a Tektro lever. The hose was too small and neither the Shimano nor Tektro barbs/olives would seal.
So the hoses and fittings are not standardized across brands. That throws a wrench into the whole process. So I've got to be specific when I buy hosing for a swap or a project, then.
Old 11-06-21, 04:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
A number of people who like their Magura calipers but hate the crappy plastic POS levers swap them out for Shimano levers on their mountain bikes. “Shigura” setups supposedly work brilliantly.

So there is one combo that works.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-06-21 at 04:44 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-06-21, 08:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
A number of people who like their Magura calipers but hate the crappy plastic POS levers swap them out for Shimano levers on their mountain bikes. “Shigura” setups supposedly work brilliantly.

So there is one combo that works.
Good to know.
Old 11-06-21, 08:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Similar experiments have been tried with pairing the various styles of cable actuated rim brakes with levers made for both long-pull (V and disc) and short pull (caliper and cantilever) brake levers, and claim to have been successful, but only because they don't seem to know how properly functioning brakes are meant to work or feel.
I raced long before either brifters or dual pivots. Was taught that hands went to the drops in iffy situations (better bike control plus hands stay on even dropping into bottomless potholes). Modern brakes are way too powerful for good bike control for me. All my dual pivot and cantilever bikes now use Tektro V-brake levers. Only bikes that still sport regular levers are my two Mafac racer bikes. All my bikes are real stoppers and surprises are way down. (Might be dangerous for someone brought up on brifters but my DT shifters seem to keep them away!)

Now if I could only do the same with my Prius. I learned to drive in a Willis Jeep. Never saw power brakes until I was well into my 30s. Every car I buy has more power than the last. TG for anti-lock braking.
Likes For 79pmooney: