Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bike day - Trek Domane AL 2 Disc

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New bike day - Trek Domane AL 2 Disc

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 11:38 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Recognizing the beginning of this thread is old, I hope the OP has been enjoying the bike this year.

AL4 vs AL5? Personally I'd likely just go with whichever was available in a color I liked.

105 vs Tiagra... Without going to Google or searching the forum, would you be able to tell someone how the differ what real world impact that would have on your cycling? If not, then I'd say it likely won't matter for you. Yes, the 11-32 vs 11-34 cassette gives you an additional gear at the very bottom end, but will that matter in your riding? Do you have really steep climbs?

You mentioned mechanical disk brakes yet both AL4 and AL5 are hydraulic so perhaps I'm a little confused. I'd definitely choose hydraulic vs mechanical, that doesn't seem to be a difference between the AL4 & AL5 models. Perhaps you're pondering the sitting-in-stock-ready-to-buy-AL2disk? I'd check with your LBS (and others nearby) as to when they'd expect an AL4 or AL5 in your size/color-choice and make you decision based on that.
the mechanical disk (AL 2) the lbs has in stock and I really like the black and gold color combination. And yes I’m pondering the AL that is in stock.

Yes, I have a lot of steep terrain around here.

Currently I have a 20221 Verve 2, that I purchased back in May. When I bought it I had no idea I was going to be wanting to take to the open road. I bought it to help rehabilitate my knees, and I also have scoliosis that I thought was going to flare up from riding so the LBS thought the Verve would be the best bike for me. And they were correct, at the time the Verve was the best bike for me, but now I’m wanting/needing longer rides and the Verve isn’t very comfortable to me when I put on 30-40 miles.

So I’m not sure what the wait time would be on a special order, but I can put the bike on order without any money down, and make payments on it until it arrives to knock the price down to what I can actually afford. Technically speaking I can’t afford even the Domane AL 2 at this exact moment, but I will be able to afford it at tax time. The LBS would be willing to hold it for me (a special order) until taxes come back. So this is why I’m asking which would be better between the 4 and 5. My other thought is to order the 2 (since I really like the color) and have the LBS upgrade to Hydraulic Disk right away, and slowly upgrade the drivetrain down the road if I so choose… unless of course I need to upgrade the drive train and Derailleurs because of the hydraulic brake shifters.
Old 09-14-21, 04:17 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
the mechanical disk (AL 2) the lbs has in stock and I really like the black and gold color combination. And yes I’m pondering the AL that is in stock.

Yes, I have a lot of steep terrain around here.

Currently I have a 20221 Verve 2, that I purchased back in May. When I bought it I had no idea I was going to be wanting to take to the open road. I bought it to help rehabilitate my knees, and I also have scoliosis that I thought was going to flare up from riding so the LBS thought the Verve would be the best bike for me. And they were correct, at the time the Verve was the best bike for me, but now I’m wanting/needing longer rides and the Verve isn’t very comfortable to me when I put on 30-40 miles.

So I’m not sure what the wait time would be on a special order, but I can put the bike on order without any money down, and make payments on it until it arrives to knock the price down to what I can actually afford. Technically speaking I can’t afford even the Domane AL 2 at this exact moment, but I will be able to afford it at tax time. The LBS would be willing to hold it for me (a special order) until taxes come back. So this is why I’m asking which would be better between the 4 and 5. My other thought is to order the 2 (since I really like the color) and have the LBS upgrade to Hydraulic Disk right away, and slowly upgrade the drivetrain down the road if I so choose… unless of course I need to upgrade the drive train and Derailleurs because of the hydraulic brake shifters.
With your current Verve - how often are you finding you have to be in the very lowest of low gears? Unless you're having to be way way down I don't think it'll make a difference on the 11-32 vs 11-34 cassette on the AL's.

"Which is better" is dependent on what you mean by "better". Objectively the AL5 has a higher grade of components than the AL4. Do the comparison the Trek page.

But... will you ever notice the difference in actual usage vs reading a bike forum? Tough to say. I doubt I could discern the difference in a blind test. Could you? Would it be worth the extra $270 dollars? For some folks that's a lot of money and would impact their lifestyle while for other folks that's less than they spend on a typical Friday night dinner and drinks. So you gotta answer the "worth the price difference" question for yourself.

Can't help you on whether the cost of upgrading an AL2 to higher level gear would be worthwhile - you'd need to price it out specifically and see where that stands.

Just remember - impatience tends to be more expensive than patience.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 09-14-21, 06:10 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
With your current Verve - how often are you finding you have to be in the very lowest of low gears? Unless you're having to be way way down I don't think it'll make a difference on the 11-32 vs 11-34 cassette on the AL's.

"Which is better" is dependent on what you mean by "better". Objectively the AL5 has a higher grade of components than the AL4. Do the comparison the Trek page.

But... will you ever notice the difference in actual usage vs reading a bike forum? Tough to say. I doubt I could discern the difference in a blind test. Could you? Would it be worth the extra $270 dollars? For some folks that's a lot of money and would impact their lifestyle while for other folks that's less than they spend on a typical Friday night dinner and drinks. So you gotta answer the "worth the price difference" question for yourself.

Can't help you on whether the cost of upgrading an AL2 to higher level gear would be worthwhile - you'd need to price it out specifically and see where that stands.

Just remember - impatience tends to be more expensive than patience.
very good points sir.

I hardly find myself in the smallest gear of the cassette on the Verve… mostly due to lack of strength. I think in all honesty I would be fine with the 2x8 gears of the AL 2… however I don’t know if I can live without my Hydraulic Disk Brakes.

so price between the AL 4 and 5, I would say the AL 4 should be good. I’m going to price what it would take to get the AL2 upgraded to Hydraulic Brakes and then make the judgment call.

Im not in any rush to purchase anything at the moment…
Likes For M Rose:
Old 09-16-21, 11:33 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Nice color enjoy