Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need to Sell Some Bikes - Help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 11:34 PM
sammyman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I just bought a number of bikes. I tend to get into things and try out a lot of options and then slim down my hobbies. I'd like to narrow this to 2 or 3 bikes max.

From new to old...

2019 Specialized Fuse base model 27.5+ - purchased it with a broken cassette which still hasn't been fixed, so I actually haven't ridden it. Trying to fix under warranty. Have no idea how much I'll like those plus size tires.

2012 Surly Long Haul Trucker - They say this bike is like a Cadillac and I agree. It's very smooth.

1989 Specialized Rock Combo - This rare bike is pretty cool. Only 500 made.

1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport - This is the lower end Stumpjumper this year. Has some rust. Would love to find a mint old Stumpjumper (not the sport model).

1983 Specialized Expedition - Very nice old touring bike. I used to have an old Sequoia that I loved, but I may like this bike more!

Which 2 or 3 would you keep?

Old 06-20-21, 02:01 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The choice is obvious. The modern bikes are easily replaced as there is nothing unique nor equivalents hard to come by, but the Expedition and Rock Combo are unique and not widely available in any market.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 06-20-21, 02:17 AM
sammyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The choice is obvious. The modern bikes are easily replaced as there is nothing unique nor equivalents hard to come by, but the Expedition and Rock Combo are unique and not widely available in any market.
Thanks for the reply. I think those two are solid choices. Love them both. What would you pick for a 3rd? A vintage mountain bike? Or a modern fs mountain bike? I'm partial to hardtails, but would be open to a front suspension bike.
Old 06-20-21, 04:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
If you are trying to decide which to keep and which to sell, I’m not sure how we can help you. You have provided absolutely no information on your riding habits and preferences, terrain, likes and dislikes, etc.

If you just like collecting bikes as objects snd don’t really ride much, then I would recommend collecting stamps. It will occupy less space in your garage.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-20-21, 09:15 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm prejudiced because I have a Rock Combo, a 1987 Diamondback Ascent, and a 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite.

So I'd keep the RC, the Stumpjumper, and your favorite road bike.

And if you decide to sell the Rock Combo, I'm your man.
Old 06-20-21, 09:53 AM
sammyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I'm prejudiced because I have a Rock Combo, a 1987 Diamondback Ascent, and a 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite.

So I'd keep the RC, the Stumpjumper, and your favorite road bike.

And if you decide to sell the Rock Combo, I'm your man.
but you have a rock combo??? Why do you want 2?
Old 06-20-21, 02:53 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The bikes you listed are different sizes. Did you steal photos from a Google search or are these your actual bikes?

Keep the bikes that fit you. No reason to keep a bike you are uncomfortable on due to it being too small or big.

Last edited by katsup; 06-20-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 04:09 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I would keep the Surly LHT in case it is the EOW as we know it and you have to flee with a few belongings.

That's just me thinking ahead.
Old 06-20-21, 04:18 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you are trying to decide which to keep and which to sell, I’m not sure how we can help you. You have provided absolutely no information on your riding habits and preferences, terrain, likes and dislikes, etc.

If you just like collecting bikes as objects snd don’t really ride much, then I would recommend collecting stamps. It will occupy less space in your garage.
No kidding!
Old 06-20-21, 04:25 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by sammyman
but you have a rock combo??? Why do you want 2?

Because I'm trying to corner the market (only 499 to go)? Because two is one and one is none? Because I can?

Mine was used hard by the first owner. Mechanically fine, cosmetically challenged. I've touched up the paint, new top tube decal, replaced bar tape, brake levers and hoods. Yours appears all original.

Is the seatpost free? It's frozen on mine. Fortunately, the original owner is my size and the bike fits me.
Old 06-20-21, 05:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
surely keep the 2012 Surly.