Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Build vs. Buy Complete?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Build vs. Buy Complete?

Old 07-17-21, 10:28 PM
helliot

Bikes: Haro Group One Mike King Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Build vs. Buy Complete?

Hello,
I'm a fairly experienced rider and am looking for a new single speed after a "brief" hiatus. Previous rode a built up Raleigh Rush Hour Pro (fixed) and a Fuji Feather Light (freewheel).
I'm looking to go free wheel with a brake. I'm looking at building up a Surly Steam Roller or this Cinelli Tutto Plus complete from factory.
I'd appreciate your input.
helliot out-
Old 07-17-21, 10:54 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Well, how are you with building/maintenance? How much do you want to spend? How much time/effort/budget are you willing to put into building something custom? Do you have any particularly strong feelings about going one way or the other?

Try this: If you think about everything that goes into building a bike from individual components, does it seem exciting/fun? Or does it seem like a lot of work you’d mostly rather skip? That should tell you a lot about what might be the better option for you.

I like building and making things just so, but it also takes longer, costs more, and can be very tedious. For most people, I think buying complete is often the better way to go, but it depends on a lot of variables.
Old 07-18-21, 02:14 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I personally would build a frameset. For me the reason is mainly because most complete bikes don't come with super nice wheels. Most have straight gauge spokes and that's my pet peeve, I only like double butted for less weight and a smoother ride. And most I've seen come with a cheap freewheel. I bought my Wabi complete only because it was a black friday sale and I got Sub-15 wheels and deluxe freewheel for free.

When I see a complete bike for sale I calculate the extra money I know I would spend to upgrade it and include it in the complete price. Usually turns out to be a bad deal.
Old 07-18-21, 08:40 AM
helliot

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thank You

Thank you very much for the feedback I really do appreciate it! As far as the frame sets go does one get the nod over the other as far quality/performance go?
Old 07-18-21, 10:21 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Building is fun if you like solving problems (occasionally of your own making.) There's nothing wrong with giving someone dollars for a bike you can ride right now, though.

BTW, if you're going to use a freewheel, hopefully you're planning on two brakes, not just one.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-18-21, 10:33 AM
helliot

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Building is fun if you like solving problems (occasionally of your own making.) There's nothing wrong with giving someone dollars for a bike you can ride right now, though.

BTW, if you're going to use a freewheel, hopefully you're planning on two brakes, not just one.
Why would you not just go with a rear brake?
Old 07-18-21, 10:52 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by helliot
Same reason that cars and motorcycles don't have only rear brakes, because in an emergency you can't stop quickly with only a rear brake. Under hard braking, up to 80% of the braking force comes from the front brake.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-18-21, 10:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Two reasons: I always want to have two ways to stop or slow my bike (cables can snap), and rear brakes by themselves are not as effective as a front brake.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-18-21, 11:07 AM
helliot

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Cool point well taken thanks for the input!
Old 07-18-21, 11:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,511 Posts
Also - brake hoods are very nice when going uphill. Yes you can mount a lever-less hood for the uphill handles but once you've done that , the cable, housing and caliper cost you almost nothing (in weight and not a lot more in cost).

Sez Ben who started riding road fix gears with two brakes when Greg Lemond was a junior
Old 07-18-21, 04:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Building up a bike using new components is almost always more expensive than buying a complete bike, but if you have a pile of parts already sitting around and the tools and experience to build a bike using them, why not?
Old 07-18-21, 05:17 PM
helliot

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Steam Roller

I rolled by the shop today and checked out the Steam Roller frame set. I was sold and will be building up a bike.
Likes For helliot:
Old 07-18-21, 07:03 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I rolled by the shop today and checked out the Steam Roller frame set. I was sold and will be building up a bike.
Awesome, what color frame?
Old 07-19-21, 01:46 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Well, how are you with building/maintenance? How much do you want to spend? How much time/effort/budget are you willing to put into building something custom? Do you have any particularly strong feelings about going one way or the other?

Try this: If you think about everything that goes into building a bike from individual components, does it seem exciting/fun? Or does it seem like a lot of work you’d mostly rather skip? That should tell you a lot about what might be the better option for you.

I like building and making things just so, but it also takes longer, costs more, and can be very tedious. For most people, I think buying complete is often the better way to go, but it depends on a lot of variables.
The problem I’ve run into in many hobbies is that it might take so long just to find the parts at a reasonable cost that I would have been money and time ahead by just pulling another shift or 2 at work and buying new.

Wrenching is often the fun/easy part. Parts scrounging not so much.
Old 07-19-21, 05:44 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
How can you not like a Steamroller? There's one that's been hanging around my family for a decade or so that still gets ridden almost daily. Enjoy yours.

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
The problem I’ve run into in many hobbies is that it might take so long just to find the parts at a reasonable cost that I would have been money and time ahead by just pulling another shift or 2 at work and buying new.

Wrenching is often the fun/easy part. Parts scrounging not so much.
Yup - this is a bad time to be parts shopping. Good luck...
Old 07-19-21, 07:09 AM
helliot

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thank you I'm looking forward to getting down with this Orange Shag Carpet beauty. I'm very fortunate that this shop has a good line on quality parts.
Old 07-19-21, 03:59 PM
helliot

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Test Ride

I haven’t purchased anything yet. I’ll be test riding an All City Cycles Professional Single Speed on Wednesday.
Old 07-19-21, 04:20 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I haven’t purchased anything yet. I’ll be test riding an All City Cycles Professional Single Speed on Wednesday.
All City is a great company. I ride a Big Block and I know some others here do as well. I have zero complaints on mine. Well, the bottle bosses on the seat tube aren't the greatest, but I can live with it. Other than that, ride quality, weight and build quality are top notch. The paint is better than average, IMO.

I'll bet you end up liking that bike after the test ride. Just know that the sizing is a bit different than some. My Big Block I think is listed as 55cm but it rides more like a 57cm or 58cm. Don't buy until you're sure it is going to fit. I assume the test ride will be on the appropriate size.
Old 07-20-21, 02:21 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The All City's are very sharp but they do look pretty porky to me. If I were going to build a nice road frame that wasn't a Wabi I'd probably spend a little extra and order a Gunnar Street Dog. I've always liked them, I almost bought one on ebay once.
Old 07-20-21, 11:01 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
helliot , All City makes great stuff. They're one of my favorite bike companies. I have their Nature Boy Disc single speed. I've never seen a Professional in person, but I'm sure it's very nice and will serve you well, if that's the one you choose.

You could also do well to get the Steamroller. I have one and like it a lot. It's been one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-26-21, 12:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts

Love the Steamroller. I built one up several years ago and found it to be a great platform for all kinds of build variations, as well as being nearly bombproof for whatever kind of riding I threw at it. This was fixed, with front brake:

Old 07-31-21, 01:18 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
I had a chocolate brown Steamroller, built it from the frame up almost 20 years ago, including the wheelset using old style Camp track hubs, Mavic rims, Campy track crankset, Brooks, Nittos, Eggbeaters…. I sold it about 5 years ago though. I still ride an old Bianchi track frame, also built from scratch around the same time.
Likes For roadfix:
Old 07-31-21, 02:02 PM
browndude3649

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hello,
I'm a fairly experienced rider and am looking for a new single speed after a "brief" hiatus. Previous rode a built up Raleigh Rush Hour Pro (fixed) and a Fuji Feather Light (freewheel).
I'm looking to go free wheel with a brake. I'm looking at building up a Surly Steam Roller or this Cinelli Tutto Plus complete from factory.
I'd appreciate your input.
helliot out-
As long as you got the tools needed like a ruler and mike meter to measure used parts, and the patience cuz itll take a long time. Do a ground up build, if not your previous bikes are winners, and ur choices from above posts are mosdef easier to start up n get going to have big fun right now. If you had a bike kitchen nearby or a big flea market to hunt for parts, id start now and plan for ur "beater back upcruiser ride" including hunting down tools . My only mistake with last frame only beater build is its got horizontal drop outs. Not a deal breaker but takes away a small but easy adjustment if it had diag rear drop outs.
Old 07-31-21, 02:09 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
Diagonal dropouts are preferable if you intend to run a rear brake.
Old 08-01-21, 02:27 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Unless you are patient and can wait for sales and close-outs on the individual components, build your own wheels, etc, it's probably better to buy a complete bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.