Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Significance of local rankings vs overall & age

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 05:30 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, being Cat 5, and not particularly competitive, I never paid attention to my ranking, but I checked it out when I recently upgraded to 4. I found it interesting that while I'm in the bottom third in my state (New Jersey), I'm in the top third not just for my age (52) and age groups, but overall as well. Similarly, before I upgraded my overall ranking was twice as good as my state ranking.

Anyone else notice this kind of disparity when they looked at rankings, or has it been studied? Any ideas why this might be? I'm wondering what it might indicate about the different characters of racing communities across the country

For what it's worth, evidently 2.2% of all Cat 4 and Cat 5 racers live in New Jersey (compared to 2.8% of the total US population). One thinks of Texas, California and Colorado as states for serious racing, but it seems the novices in NJ (and I suspect NY as well) are pretty darned competitive. I don't quite understand how rankings are determined, but could this be simply because there are more opportunities to accumulate points around here than there are in most other states?
Old 09-04-16, 07:59 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I don't find much significance in the rankings. They're more of a "hey, that's cool" thing you check out more than being of any practical use. If you want high rankings, go do the biggest races you can find. Even finishing 30th can net you higher ranking points than winning a local race. It doesn't really tell you anything useful.

There are guys in my state that haven't done a crit all year that are ranked higher than me because they finished top 30 in a few NRCs at the end of last year. Meanwhile I've won and podiumed a dozen local races that those same riders are in this year. So who's actually better?

Ehhhh.... So yeah, doesn't really mean anything or predict anything in regards to any one specific race.
Old 09-04-16, 03:10 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I don't find much significance in the rankings. They're more of a "hey, that's cool" thing you check out more than being of any practical use. If you want high rankings, go do the biggest races you can find. Even finishing 30th can net you higher ranking points than winning a local race. It doesn't really tell you anything useful.

There are guys in my state that haven't done a crit all year that are ranked higher than me because they finished top 30 in a few NRCs at the end of last year. Meanwhile I've won and podiumed a dozen local races that those same riders are in this year. So who's actually better?

Ehhhh.... So yeah, doesn't really mean anything or predict anything in regards to any one specific race.
I wasn't so sure of that either, but the huge difference between local and overall rankings did make me wonder how it works. The question wasn't so much about what does it mean for an individual racer, but what does it say about the racing community in any given state as compared to others. From your explanation, it sounds like the size of the fields is what makes the biggest difference. As it happens, NJ is the most densely populated state in the country, so it wouldn't be surprising if the local races here in the tri-state area tend to have bigger fields than races in most other states. So maybe you did explain the significance. There's no reason to believe that racing here is more competitive here because the racers are any better, but it is more competitive in the sense that there are more of us racing each other.
Old 09-04-16, 06:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Rankings are good for crit call-ups at nationals. They often don't do it as published, but still useful. Bumping rankings can be relatively easy for juniors, older masters (50+) and women by entering P123s.
Old 09-04-16, 06:21 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Competing in mixed field with better categories also bumps rankings. The rankings seem more based on how many hard races you do, rather than how well you do, at either small or big races. And chances are one gets mid pack even against really good racers because many will work super hard during the race and then sit back when the break goes. Others will lead out and drift off. The teams are going for best placing, they blow up a few guys to get there, then you end up "beating" really strong racers and getting a lower (better) score.
Old 09-04-16, 11:57 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Rankings are good for crit call-ups at nationals.
Yup.

Besides that, pretty much just for bragging rights. Actually, I take that back; I've never heard anyone brag about their USAC ranking..

my race videos
Old 09-05-16, 05:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Yup.

Besides that, pretty much just for bragging rights. Actually, I take that back; I've never heard anyone brag about their USAC ranking..
When I was a Cat 5, at one point, I was ranked like 30th in the nation. I made sure to let my mother know I was currently the 30th ranked Cat 5 in the nation.

I knew it didn't mean crap, but my mother was quite proud.
Old 09-05-16, 08:52 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
When I was a Cat 5, at one point, I was ranked like 30th in the nation. I made sure to let my mother know I was currently the 30th ranked Cat 5 in the nation.

I knew it didn't mean crap, but my mother was quite proud.
A decade ago, back when the rankings were really useless because half the races didn't report to USAC, I spent a summer as the number one ranked Cat 2 in the nation. I printed off the entire placings list and told anyone that didn't know any better that I was the "number one" cat 2 in the nation. I was so proud. I think I still have that print out.
Old 09-06-16, 04:14 PM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently the 3rd ranked cat 1 for RR in the US!!!!!!

For my age group....
Old 09-06-16, 11:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think for awhile I was the top rated 45-49 Cat 3 in my zip code.
Old 09-07-16, 11:38 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm ranked first cat 1 .... in my age group.... in my state..... in my zip code. 1 of 1 , i'm proud.

Last edited by jdms mvp; 09-07-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 11:42 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Same here in the 2's! It's good to be the king!
Old 09-07-16, 01:59 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
YES! Zip Code champion. 1st of 3 for cat 2 crits, road race, and TTs.
Old 09-07-16, 02:51 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
So, being Cat 5, and not particularly competitive, I never paid attention to my ranking, but I checked it out when I recently upgraded to 4. I found it interesting that while I'm in the bottom third in my state (New Jersey), I'm in the top third not just for my age (52) and age groups, but overall as well. Similarly, before I upgraded my overall ranking was twice as good as my state ranking.

Anyone else notice this kind of disparity when they looked at rankings, or has it been studied? Any ideas why this might be?
Yes. Apparently the NJ racers are faster/more active/work the system better than riders nationally. Basic stats.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat - Nationally, I'm in the top quartile of cat 4s, but in MO, I'm strictly a run of the mill (52nd percentile) racer. That tells me that as a group, MO racers are higher ranked than a random sampling of racers.

It goes without saying that I'm the fastest guy in my zip code.

As others have noted, your rankings are based on your best races, and the point system will frequently reward you higher for being middle of the pack in a 1-4 race than it will for taking a podium in a cat 4 race.

That said, the numbers do generally reflect where I am based on my results. When I'm having a good day, my most challenging rivals are other guys from St. Louis or areas with a very active scene. I do a lot better against guys who only get to race a few times a year. Go figure.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-12-16, 01:38 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
Yup.

I am the #1 cat 3 50+ er in my zip code.

Take that, Froomey
Old 09-12-16, 01:46 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe let's save some bytes and people just post here if they have the rare distinction of not being the top ranked racer in their zip code
Old 09-12-16, 01:50 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
This is important stuff tho
Old 09-12-16, 03:02 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Maybe let's save some bytes and people just post here if they have the rare distinction of not being the top ranked racer in their zip code
Any ounce of dignity I had is now gone.
Old 09-12-16, 05:18 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Me. A teammate lives in the same borough/village or whatever they call it. There's some other guy here, too, whom I'm not sure I've met. Both better than me
Old 09-12-16, 05:42 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well obviously you guys just need to move.
Old 09-12-16, 06:47 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Any ounce of dignity I had is now gone.
It kinda depends where you live.
Malibu -> San Diego (and some IE) - don't even bother to look - esp in 50 and 60+
Also there are piles of un-ranked super riders in SoCal. Keep your chin up.

Last edited by Doge; 09-12-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 10:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm just messing....but really there are a ton of good cyclists in this zip code. Not that this town is anything special, its not Boulder, Girona, or Redwood City, but cyclists that live in the general vicinity move here since this is where all the shops, clubs, group rides, and hammerfests are.