Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What was your OH "S" moment?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What was your OH "S" moment?

Old 09-04-21, 08:35 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
A couple of years ago, my wife had to go on a liquid diet a few weeks before a surgery. In order to be supportive I went on it with her. I was still running and riding and was not concerned because I had some extra pounds I could lose. I had a crash I have yet to determine was from someone's sprinkler getting into the road on a turn I took at 20+ mph or blacking out from the calorie deficit. I'm leaning towards the calorie deficit because I actually came to in the middle of an intersection with my bike about 20' in front of me. My "Oh Doodie" thought was someone was going to come along in the dark and run over my bike. Then I realized my Bontrager lights should alert them my bike was in the road. A bigger "Oh Feces Balls" thought crossed my mind when I realized they probably wouldn't see me in the middle of the road.

BTW, when my wife came in and saw me tending to the road rash, I blamed it on the sprinkler which I may have invented in my mind so she wouldn't feel bad about me doing her liquid diet. I've also gained back any weight I lost while on the liquid diet so that is another "Oh Crap" situation.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-04-21, 08:37 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
not too tight but really required leaning the bike at 55mph,
I think this post wins the thread if there is a competition.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-04-21, 09:19 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I think this post wins the thread if there is a competition.
I've done some stupid things in life that could have easily done me in but that was the closest I ever came. Only though in my head was "if I die, MJ is gonna kill me" which was hilarious when I stopped to think about it and made me realize how much she mattered.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-04-21, 09:24 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I've had plenty of those moments.

One memorable one - when I was using my old KHS as both a commuter and a winter bike, at some point in the spring, I swapped out the studded tires for regular tires. And then I didn't ride it for a few days.

When I commute, I go a few blocks from my house on flat terrane, and then turn on a short street that has about a 5-6% grade down to a traffic light. I start going down the hill and realize I have.....no brakes! Stupid, when I swapped tires, I forgot to re-fasten the tightening levers on the long-reach Tektro brakes - full squeeze on both brake levers applied no pressure at all.

And it's a red light and there is traffic coming in both directions!

It's a commuter, so flat pedals, and I tried dragging one foot on the pavement - but that had essentially no effect at that grade.

There is a bike lane on the cross street. I somehow managed to make the tight turn into the bike lane - going the wrong direction of traffic b/c cars waiting at the light didn't give me any angle in the right direction....

Almost got myself killed through negligence....
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-04-21, 09:32 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Here's another - and I've posted about this one before.

In a group ride, ahead of me there's a wheel touch. We were going in the low 2x mph. Several people go down. I was able to shed some speed, but in the chain reaction of people going down, suddenly there's a guy who falls on his back, his body at 90 degrees to our original direction...and my front wheel is moving directly for his head. When I last was aware, I think the wheel was less than a meter away from contact.

I don't know how I did it, but the next thing I know, I've dismounted, my bike is thrown off to my right, and I am standing almost directly over him - just a little to his left. He looks up at me and asks me why I''m standing over him like that.....

I've posted about this before when the topic comes up about how do you unclip in an emergency? I don't know how, but, you just do.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-05-21, 07:42 PM
roadie276

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I've had a time or two when I wasn't paying quite as much attention as I should (oncoming car distracted me in one case, at least), and I found my front wheel in a like 1/2" crack going lengthwise down the road. Sounds innocent, but these things will put you down immediately if you start to overbalance and can't correct, as people are probably aware. Both times that I think I can recall, I managed to sort of bunny hop out of the crack, nearly spill due to front wheel suddenly being like 3" from where it was, and recover with nary a problem besides the massive adrenaline spike that resulted.
Old 09-05-21, 07:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Today i had one.

I was on a MUP and approaching a crossroad. About 10 feet from the road I tried to unclip but my foot was locked in and I couldn't. The choice was to get hit by a car or make a quick left onto the roads sidewalk hoping no one was there. I was lucky and made the left and continued on the sidewalk still unable to unclip. I made it to a quiet crossroad and reached down to get out of my shoe. After examining both the pedal and cleat I saw nothing and decided to ride the 3 miles to the LBS. There we found some debris stuck in the spring causing it to be extremely stiff. I was able to clean it out and the pedal was as before.I'm sure everyone has had a OH "S" moment... what's yours?
wow, good for you! your experience level & cat-like reflexes saved yer butt! when preparation meets opportunity (hate the word luck) noticed you didn't mention considering riding up to an object like a tree or fence to stop at & lean on. or a worse option, looking for a grassy yard to take a fall on
Old 09-05-21, 07:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Here's another - and I've posted about this one before.

In a group ride, ahead of me there's a wheel touch. We were going in the low 2x mph. Several people go down. I was able to shed some speed, but in the chain reaction of people going down, suddenly there's a guy who falls on his back, his body at 90 degrees to our original direction...and my front wheel is moving directly for his head. When I last was aware, I think the wheel was less than a meter away from contact.I don't know how I did it, but the next thing I know, I've dismounted, my bike is thrown off to my right, and I am standing almost directly over him - just a little to his left. He looks up at me and asks me why I''m standing over him like that.....I've posted about this before when the topic comes up about how do you unclip in an emergency? I don't know how, but, you just do.
great story! but yeah it's weird, but I've dumped bikes & landed on my feet my whole life
Old 09-05-21, 08:04 PM
rumrunn6

Haven't been past 50mph since then.
haven't been that fast but of all my post-ride regrets, speed is the most common. why is it so darn fun?
Old 09-05-21, 08:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow, good for you! your experience level & cat-like reflexes saved yer butt! when preparation meets opportunity (hate the word luck) noticed you didn't mention considering riding up to an object like a tree or fence to stop at & lean on. or a worse option, looking for a grassy yard to take a fall on
Once I made the left I had clear space and time to figure it out.

Would up being something between the petal and carbon leaf spring that increased the tension. It was corrected by using a screwdriver to open the spring and whatever was there came out. I've since had 2 uneventful rides I also found a good technique for uncliping me right foot. So now if it were to happen again I can use either foot.. .as suggested.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-05-21, 08:40 PM
MinnMan

Worst moment was a large sweeping downhill, not too tight but really required leaning the bike at 55mph, just got up to speed when I hit a patch of sand and gravel. Both tires lost traction and the bike just slid sideways towards the other side in part due to the curve of the road. Was seriously contemplating seeing if I could bunny hop the ditch and keep it upright into the field as I figured I was heading into the ditch which has boulders in it, instead, right at the yellow line the tires caught and with the way I was leaning still the bike rocketed back across the road. No sooner do I clear the center line when a car comes around the bend in the opposite direction. Missed a head on collision by all of 1-2 seconds at best. Haven't been past 50mph since then.
Yow.

I think my max speed is in the high 40s. I've been on long mountain descents where higher speeds were possible, but I just don't have the cajones to trust it.
I'm most comfortable at higher speeds where it's most safe - i.e., straight road, good pavement, and I can see the road turning back up hill after the bottom.
Old 09-05-21, 08:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yow.

I think my max speed is in the high 40s. I've been on long mountain descents where higher speeds were possible, but I just don't have the cajones to trust it.
I'm most comfortable at higher speeds where it's most safe - i.e., straight road, good pavement, and I can see the road turning back up hill after the bottom.
You never know the road unless you just rode it.

There's a hill called "Fish Hatchery" here, it's about 1 mile long and you can easily hit 50+mph. normally I ride up and know the pavement was fresh and smooth. But one day I took a different rout and went down. About 3/4 of the way down I saw that a large square section of blacktop had been worked on and the top layer was not laid leaving a 1-2" drop in the surface. My only reaction was to bunny hop it which I did.

At age 65 I don't heal as fast so I try to keep max speed in the low 40s.. unless I just road that section that day.
Old 09-06-21, 05:45 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
there was a small snake on the road that I ran over. Luckily it wasn't too big as to where it would make me crash. Better yet, it didn't bite me
Old 09-06-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
My most recent was a few months ago. I had just left the house and was coming to a stop behind a car at a traffic light with a car behind me and no where else to go. I couldn't get my foot unclipped and I had to stop or hit the car in front.

Then all of a sudden I realized I could un-clip the other foot and all was well, with no embarrassing impact to the car or fall. <grin>

Wound up being one of the screws in my cleat had become loose. I guess since the shoes were maybe as much as ten years old I should have checked the security of them a few times since putting the cleats on.
Old 09-06-21, 11:22 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The moment I learned you could get a custom bike built for yourself.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-06-21, 03:39 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by ussprinceton
there was a small snake on the road that I ran over. Luckily it wasn't too big as to where it would make me crash. Better yet, it didn't bite me
That reminds me of another. When I was living in Canberra, I was on my first ride up into the Tidbinbilla mountains. We were on a long descent doing, I don't know, 30-35 MPH, and I was maybe riding 4th wheel, though of course we were well spaced out. It was a quiet road, not quite 2 lanes wide. Up ahead, a. red bellied black snake about 2 meters long starts crossing the road. The guys in front of me held their lines and crossed ahead of it, but it was moving too fast for me to do the same. I had time to alter my line and crossed behind its tail. I'm not sure what scared me more, going down with the snake in my wheels or the venom. Later I learned that their poison is "not so bad" compared to other venomous species in Australia.
Old 09-06-21, 03:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The moment I learned you could get a custom bike built for yourself.
Old 09-06-21, 03:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
great story! but yeah it's weird, but I've dumped bikes & landed on my feet my whole life
I went over the bars once as a kid, and landed on my feet. Literally hit the ground running. Couldn't stop in time and ran right into a wall, my arm hurt for a week, but it could have been so much worse. I counted they as a win and kept riding bikes.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-07-21, 03:52 AM
rumrunn6

[QUOTE=Seattle Forrest;22217989]I went over the bars once as a kid, and landed on my feet. Literally hit the ground running/QUOTE]hehe nice! now that I'm older & riding MTB, I find myself on my back, looking at the sky, a bit more often