Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Carbohydrate Question

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Carbohydrate Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-21, 01:16 PM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Carbohydrate Question

I went to a restaurant and ate 1 cup of Jasmine Rice which is about 240 calories and 45 grams of carbs. So I go home and change, jump on my bike and do a neighborhood ride burning 600 calories per my Lezyne Easy GPS. So I burned off the 240 calories of rice and am 360 calories to the good. But, what affect, if any, did the ride have on the 45 carbs? Thanks for your expertise!
Old 09-19-21, 04:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Don't know. We can only generalize. Depending on how hard you rode at various times a certain amount of your energy came from fat and some from glycogen that can be more readily replaced by carbohydrate. You almost always are burning a certain amount of fat. Glycogen comes into play more as you exceed the rate at which your body can convert fat to energy.

Whether any of that was from the molecules that made up your Jasmine rice I'd not even begin to speculate. <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 09-19-21 at 04:34 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-19-21, 04:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Chances are your rice wasn't digested yet by the time you got home and rode? Exercising immediately before or after eating carbs makes it more likely your body will turn them into glycogen than other uses, but it's a big "it depends."

If you're asking from a weight management perspective, only the calories matter. It's like how you can earn money by working or you can win it gambling, and there's a list of difference in what that takes and maybe how it's taxed, but all dollars have the same spending power.
Old 09-20-21, 05:14 AM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for your help!