Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Ofmega crankset?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone have experience with Ofmega crankset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 10:37 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I regards to the cranks. I have a pair that are newish to me, so not personally ridden many miles. I did sort of gawk at how thin and elegant the arms were, Especially around the pedal threads.

I can’t tell you about durability, but I do love how they look.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-09-20, 10:56 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
WRT pronunciation: I've always heard pronounced as off mega, like Chevy Vega. That's good enough for me. I am fairly certain that it's a made up word anyway, and therefore there isn't really a correct pronunciation. If I was really curious I could ask my dad, since Italian is his first language. He always insisted on pronouncing Masi correctly, which bugged me slightly. (It isn't Mahz-zee, it is Mah-see) But like I said, it's not a real word, so I don't think that would be helpful.

If I had to guess I think an Italian would say it pretty much like Offa-mega.
Old 05-09-20, 11:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The Mistral and the Sakae CR crank sure look a lot alike. I wonder what the story is there.

VeloBase.com - Component: Sakae/Ringyo (SR) CR
Old 05-09-20, 05:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
What was the intention behind the smaller taper? To be proprietary? Or was there some performance benefit (however small or misconceived)?
who knows..brand differentation and to sell BB maybe ..as best i can tell the smaller taper was before the 80's....think 70/60s but have spent hours researching at one point i could not find anything definitive

Old 05-09-20, 08:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The Mistral and the Sakae CR crank sure look a lot alike. I wonder what the story is there.

VeloBase.com - Component: Sakae/Ringyo (SR) CR
The Sakae Ringyo CR was a low-budget knock-off of the Mistral aesthetic.

The CR was a "melt-forged" (aka "cast") crank, while the Mistral was cold forged. The CR has a 110mm BCD, while the Mistral has a 144mm BCD.
Old 05-10-20, 07:50 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I've been struggling with moving a lovely "Nuovo" copy Bianchi-branded Ofmega crankset from an 85 Bianchi Brava to a French-threaded Macario. I bought a thick-cup Campy French-threaded BB on Ebay and merrily mounted the BB and crankset only to find the drive arm would not stay planted. I ended up buying inexpensive new Action French cups on Ebay and yesterday mounted them with Sugino Mighty cranks and BSC spindle. Test ride today.
The BB from the Bianchi looks like the pic below.