Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seatstay clearance for cassette- is modern different from vintage?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 05-13-21, 01:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

I just built up an old road frame I've had for years and the chain is rubbing on the seat stay.

I've had this frame set up with a couple different 9sp drivetrains, but its now 11sp.

Maybe the 9sp drivetrains had 12t cogs for the smallest one?...I don't think so, but there was no rub on those setups.

Question- does anyone who has been building since 126mm dropouts were used now angle the stays differently to accommodate an 11t cog?
I was surprised this is an issue since I've built probably 6 different 80s road frames with 11sp drivetrains and none have had this issue.

Guess I'll turn this into effectively a 10sp cassette and lock the small cog out?
Or save for a 12-28 duraace cassette that costs $285!! <--nope, not doing this.

Old 05-13-21, 02:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I just realized I have myself all sorts of confused. A 12t small cog would make things worse.
So if anything, gearing from back in the day would have made this worse since a 12t small cog would have been more common then, mated to a larger chainring.

The wheel is centered, so maybe ill add a small spacer on the driveside?
Old 05-13-21, 02:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
the seat stay is blacksmithed back, but different mfg's did things differently. This was probably intended for 126mm 6 cogs, maybe 7 wit a touch more space, like 127.
That you stuffed in 9 is good, 11? more room.
Old 05-13-21, 02:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have been building since back when 6 speeds were new, and 9 speed needs a little more space at the seat stays. Really depends on the bike though, some of them used to have plenty of space BITD. The issue is that the first cog was further from the dropout. Typically a 6 speed would have a 13 tooth cog there, and 14 wasn't unheard of. In fact, for juniors racing, they were even bigger.
Old 05-13-21, 04:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
What Eric said and know that as the cog counts increased the clearances are reduced. As Shimano became the 500 pound gorilla their dimensional requirements became the frame designer's (and builder's) standards. But for each change of drivetrain version those standards also changed. Additionally not every bike brand would follow those standards even as they existed for the bikes that were being made for the components that were speced on their new models.

I would want to have the bike in hand but a few file strokes will likely create more chain clearance. I'd want to be sure that only the stay end and the brass filler was being removed and no hole into the stay's interior was likely. Andy

Shimano Framebuilder Info - Pvdwiki (peterverdone.com) Here's an example of those standards from over a decade ago. Current stuff have "new and improved" guidelines