Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 11:52 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nice wheels. What size Conti GP5000 tires were you able to fit in there? So far the largest I've tried are 700x25 Conti Ultra Sport II on the original wheels/rims.
The wheels I have are not very wide so I haven't tried anything bigger than 700x25. Those are Trek 16 spoke wheels which everyone has told me will eventually crack. My granddaughter is running my original wheels for right now with GP-4000 700x23. We had no flats or wheel issues on the ride.
Old 07-31-19, 10:41 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Due to the boss's order (my wife) I'm taking the week off. I've been training a lot and not enough recovery time.
Anyways I did ride monday on my '86 classic. Man what a good bike. I noticed the faster I ride on the chipseal the less it bumps. I was thinking instead of the carbon Ironman I might just ride it on the half ironman triathlon in October. It just feels RIGHT.
Speaking of the carbon ironman, I think I feel the sexy flexy forks the more I pay attention to it. However, I think the sexy flexy forks will keep the pressure off the lugs and keep them from failing as RTs did......but now how long will the forks last?
Keep those freewheels turning, (unless you need an intervention break like I did).
Old 07-31-19, 11:21 AM
texaspandj

Hey page 2'85. So post your '85 Ironman. Wish I had one to post.
Old 07-31-19, 11:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I have problems with my shoulders and neck hurting on longer rides and figured I would be miserable on the day after day pace if Ragbrai. I did hurt at the end of the first few days but as the week went on it bothered me less and less. I never once regretted riding my Centurion. Here are a couple more pictures from the ride.
So, please tell us what you learned on the adventure. Share the wisdom gained. What went right. What would you do differently, etc, etc.
Old 07-31-19, 04:54 PM
texaspandj

Yep, I sent you wrong email address. Sorry.
But glad we worked it out. Thanks.
Old 08-01-19, 09:49 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by seypat
So, please tell us what you learned on the adventure. Share the wisdom gained. What went right. What would you do differently, etc, etc.
Lets see.... here are some abstract thoughts We learned that the green nozzle at the gas pump isn't diesel like it is in Texas. We dodged a bullet there Jack's card didn't read the first time and he didn't get any gas in his tank. We learned that if a plastic gas can is set too close to the exhaust on a generator it will melt the can, dodged another bullet there. We learned that after a week of hooking up and moving a camper a distraction can cause the hitch to not be latched, caught that one about 100 miles later with the bullet being dodged again.

We learned that even after riding at least 60 hilly miles for several days you can get up and do it again and that it will be fun. We learned that the people of Iowa are friendly good down to earth folks who really love their state and want you to enjoy your visit. I was asked over and over "What do you think of Iowa?" We were invited into homes & churches to use their bathroom & showers. People sat outside to wave and cheer the riders on, pass out water and hold up signs asking where you are from. We learned that road construction there is a lot different than Texas and that a gap between the lanes is sometimes a perfect fit for a 700CX25 tire. We also learned that Iowa doesn't have the love affair with chip seal roads like Texas does. We learned that the support people on Ragbrai are not going to have time to do much except move the camp every day. That was a dissapointment for my wife and her 10 year old assistant.

What would we do differently? Bring less stuff is probably #1 . A camper that has room for 6 to sleep doesn't have room for all their stuff especially if some are riding and need the gear for that along with their other stuff. I wouldn't change anything on my bike it did great. I can't decide if a bigger team with more support people would be better or not. or maybe a smaller team. We had 6 riders and 2 adult support people with 1 kid & two dogs. The dogs did fine but even they were worn out at the end of the week. i may add more to this later but right now I need to go service our bikes.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 08-02-19, 08:55 AM
seypat

Lets see.... here are some abstract thoughts We learned that the green nozzle at the gas pump isn't diesel like it is in Texas. We dodged a bullet there Jack's card didn't read the first time and he didn't get any gas in his tank. We learned that if a plastic gas can is set too close to the exhaust on a generator it will melt the can, dodged another bullet there. We learned that after a week of hooking up and moving a camper a distraction can cause the hitch to not be latched, caught that one about 100 miles later with the bullet being dodged again.

We learned that even after riding at least 60 hilly miles for several days you can get up and do it again and that it will be fun. We learned that the people of Iowa are friendly good down to earth folks who really love their state and want you to enjoy your visit. I was asked over and over "What do you think of Iowa?" We were invited into homes & churches to use their bathroom & showers. People sat outside to wave and cheer the riders on, pass out water and hold up signs asking where you are from. We learned that road construction there is a lot different than Texas and that a gap between the lanes is sometimes a perfect fit for a 700CX25 tire. We also learned that Iowa doesn't have the love affair with chip seal roads like Texas does. We learned that the support people on Ragbrai are not going to have time to do much except move the camp every day. That was a dissapointment for my wife and her 10 year old assistant.

What would we do differently? Bring less stuff is probably #1 . A camper that has room for 6 to sleep doesn't have room for all their stuff especially if some are riding and need the gear for that along with their other stuff. I wouldn't change anything on my bike it did great. I can't decide if a bigger team with more support people would be better or not. or maybe a smaller team. We had 6 riders and 2 adult support people with 1 kid & two dogs. The dogs did fine but even they were worn out at the end of the week. i may add more to this later but right now I need to go service our bikes.
Good info. I think it would be very hard to figure out what to take. Especially true if the ride/tour is unsupported.
Old 08-02-19, 10:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Your email bounced. Here are pics. If you're interested, let me know.
The rest of the stuff is going to the bike thrift store on Monday (or sooner).

I've been on the fence for a month (can't recommend it, very uncomfortable, that fence sitting) about buying some of those aero bar goodies from you. But I've gotta be realistic -- with old back, neck and shoulder injuries it's a chore just to use the drops, let alone an aero bar. I got a nice early Scott aero bar from @texaspandj earlier this year and tried it a few times, but can't stay in the aero tuck for more than a minute at a time. Ortho doc and chiropractor would prefer I don't ride bikes at all (busted up C1 and C2 are impinging on the nerves), but that ain't gonna happen.

I thought about just leaving the clip-on aero bars on the Ironman and using them on the trainer or solo rides. But on some recent rides with the local roadie club's B-group I've seen a few people actually using aero bars while drafting. That drives me absolutely nuts. The last couple of times I saw someone doing that I made some polite excuses and bailed out to take another route. It's not my club and as a fairly new member I don't want to alienate other folks by fussing at them about their riding practices. It's like trying to persuade my country bumpkin cousins to use their seat belts -- they figure that because they've never had an accident, they never will have an accident. So if I get nervous even seeing aero bars in a group ride, I can imagine other folks would think the same about me.

On the plus side, after months of physical therapy, on a good day I can ride in the drops for up to five minutes. If my injuries continue to improve eventually I'll put those Scott aero bars I already have on another bike and leave 'em there for trainer and solo rides.

Anyway, if you donate those aero goodies locally, someone is gonna be thrilled to find 'em.
Old 08-03-19, 04:22 AM
texaspandj

They used to sell some riser kits bitd. They allowed you to keep your preferred drop bar setup but have a higher Aero bar setup.
Also the first/original aerobar attachment (not to be confused with the original Aero bar) by Scott was made with a higher profile. It's the ones Greg Lemond used in his '89 win. Not the 2nd or 3rd generation you have @canklecat . You can still find them on thebay. I'd like to have them myself. They're simpler in design and attachment. And seem to be the easiest to transition to.
Old 08-03-19, 07:04 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
OK @texaspandj , I found the 85' only bummer it's prolly a 58cm- 60 . Anyhow friendly price .

https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...948775810.html

Old 08-03-19, 08:32 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by markwesti
OK @texaspandj , I found the 85' only bummer it's prolly a 58cm- 60 . Anyhow friendly price .

https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...948775810.html

Friendly price is right. 6 cm too big though.
What's the deal with not using the pump peg?
Speaking of pumps. I ruined my frame pump that I use on 2 of my Ironman. I had turned into the front of my place of business sidewalk, when 2 rottweilers charged from across the street. They have already bitten a neighbor before so I knew they were dangerous. The owner thought he could leave them unleashed in the front yard because he was out with them....but nope. I put my Classic Ironman in between me and the first dog, pulled of my pump waited a second for him to get in range (as I had No time to get in side the building) and Wacked him Good with a overhand strike on top of his skull. He whimpered off and the other dog came a second later on my right, so I moved my bike a little to my right as he tried to go around it. So I swung my pump right to left in a circular pattern to offset him. I missed him by a whisker. About that time the other dog (pack mentality) decided to come back. Fortunately the neighbor was coming while all this was happening and got the Dogs back to his house.
Meanwhile my pump is ruined and the neighbor didn't apologize and refuses to pay for the damaged pump. These same rottweilers have chased cars, a kid, bitten a neighbor, and all he got was nuisance cite, meanwhile those dogs are a menace.
Pics of pump later. Its a zephal hpx 3...i think.
Old 08-03-19, 10:57 PM
TXsailor

My daughter & granddaughter's bikes ended up at our house after Ragbrai. My granddaughter decided to go for a ride so she jumped on her Fuji Roubaix that she has had for several years. She came over today and got her Ironman. She said she didn't enjoy riding the Fuji like she does the Centurion it just didn't feel as good. The Fuji cost about 8 times as much as I gave for her Ironman. The girl is hooked. Now to get her mom on one.....
Old 08-04-19, 06:24 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I like dogs....

But those would be done for, and a wounded neighbor if he got in the way.
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Fortunately the neighbor was coming while all this was happening and got the Dogs back to his house.
Meanwhile my pump is ruined and the neighbor didn't apologize and refuses to pay for the damaged pump. These same rottweilers have chased cars, a kid, bitten a neighbor, and all he got was nuisance cite, meanwhile those dogs are a menace.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 08-04-19, 06:25 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

She came over today and got her Ironman. She said she didn't enjoy riding the Fuji like she does the Centurion... The girl is hooked. Now to get her mom on one.....
Because it's more than a bike....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 08-04-19, 02:18 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Your email bounced. Here are pics. If you're interested, let me know.
The rest of the stuff is going to the bike thrift store on Monday (or sooner).

Thanks Jon!
The armrest arrived yesterday in excellent condition. It was pretty cool to get something so old in new condition (NOS).
I've used several styles of Aero bar armrest over the years and this style is my absolute favorite. I was hoping they were identical to what I have on my '86 Classic Ironman and they are. They're super comfortable and super durable. I'm gonna install them on my '88 Carbon Ironman.
Thanks again @hazetguy .
Old 08-04-19, 05:00 PM
seypat

Speaking of animals on routes, yesterday morning we encountered a raccoon on our running route. It was around 7:30am. It was on a sidewalk in front of a house. Sitting back on it's back legs with it's head down, fluid coming out of it's nose. It looked like a person with a bad head cold. It was suffering. Someone called animal control and a coach waited. (At a safe distance)
Old 08-04-19, 08:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...What's the deal with not using the pump peg?
Speaking of pumps. I ruined my frame pump that I use on 2 of my Ironman. I had turned into the front of my place of business sidewalk, when 2 rottweilers charged from across the street. They have already bitten a neighbor before so I knew they were dangerous. The owner thought he could leave them unleashed in the front yard because he was out with them....but nope. I put my Classic Ironman in between me and the first dog, pulled of my pump waited a second for him to get in range (as I had No time to get in side the building) and Wacked him Good with a overhand strike on top of his skull. He whimpered off and the other dog came a second later on my right, so I moved my bike a little to my right as he tried to go around it. So I swung my pump right to left in a circular pattern to offset him. I missed him by a whisker. About that time the other dog (pack mentality) decided to come back. Fortunately the neighbor was coming while all this was happening and got the Dogs back to his house.
Y'know, Texas allows open sword carry now. Just sayin'. There are other uses for a pump peg. Perusing the Cold Steel catalog, I see a few items that would fit a spring loaded carrier for pump pegs.

Seriously, tho', I do carry pepper spray. Never needed to use it. I don't try to outrun dogs -- even a dinky mutt can outrun me, and it just invites trouble. Especially wearing clipless roadie cleats like Look or SPD-SL, which are like high heels in reverse. I usually stop, get off the bike and put it between me and muttly. Most dogs lose interest quickly. They're usually wanting to play or lead a parade, so I slow and follow behind them. Usually they trot only as far as their pee-zone territorial boundaries, then paw-off to the next neighbor's dog. And, no, squirting them with water does not work. Quite the opposite, it encourages rough play with pitties, retrievers and spaniels. If you're gonna hose down a dog, make it something that actually works, without causing permanent injury.

But I don't disregard the danger. A friend was badly injured when a dog knocked her off her bike last year. The dog didn't attack her, but her arm was badly injured and the owner took zero responsibility. Her recovery was slow and painful, and I could tell it was robbing her joy in life and cycling. Fortunately she's rebounded, back on the bike and enjoying riding more than ever. But she was fortunate to have a stable job, good health insurance, sick leave, etc. Many folks do not have those advantages.

Similar issue with another local cycling acquaintance. He was attacked by a free-range dog in front of the owner's home. His pricey carbon bike and expensive POC helmet were destroyed, and he was injured. The dog owner wasn't hostile but seemed utterly clueless and indifferent to responsibility and liability for his mutt. And he had no homeowner's insurance. As many folks do when in shock, the injured cyclist forgot to call 911 to report the incident. No incident report, no grounds for filing a lawsuit, no attorney would take his case. The cyclist had to use every psychological nudge trick in the book to arrange for compensation from the dog owner. He was remarkably patient. I would not have been.
Old 08-05-19, 09:51 AM
texaspandj

Sword, how bout open frame pump carry?
Pic of sword given to me by a student and my bent and cracked pump. I think the pump still has some rottweiler DNA on it. I held the pump in a way so it didn't come open, so it bent the casing too.
BTW we don't teach weapons,

However I have nunchaka, sai, bo, and Kama in my office given to me by students.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-06-19, 09:19 AM
seypat

Sword, how bout open frame pump carry?
Pic of sword given to me by a student and my bent and cracked pump. I think the pump still has some rottweiler DNA on it. I held the pump in a way so it didn't come open, so it bent the casing too.
BTW we don't teach weapons,

However I have nunchaka, sai, bo, and Kama in my office given to me by students.
It looks like you also had a can of Whoop A$$ on the bike that you had to open up and use as well!
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-06-19, 09:27 AM
seypat

I have the yearly double dip on August 24th where I run a half marathon in the morning then do the Moonlight ride cycling event that night. I'm wondering, if I go to the gym midday and swim some laps, can I call it a Tri? I already have a catchy, event name that I could use to kid my wife. I was going to call it, "The All Day Soiree."
Old 08-06-19, 10:24 AM
texaspandj

Yep, then make it a quadathon with some elbow exercise...or in my case elbow therapy.
Old 08-06-19, 02:51 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Nice Turbo , not mine . I think this is a good price , I know we all like to see them listed at 150 .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...950792978.html

Old 08-06-19, 04:09 PM
seypat

There's a red Turbo on the "Looking for one of these" threads. Seems like it was $150 as well.
Old 08-06-19, 04:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Sorry, Pat, but you and "soiree" don't mix. You'd have to let your wife choose your clothes and keep her close enough to stop you from, uh, doing stuff.

I have the yearly double dip on August 24th where I run a half marathon in the morning then do the Moonlight ride cycling event that night. I'm wondering, if I go to the gym midday and swim some laps, can I call it a Tri? I already have a catchy, event name that I could use to kid my wife. I was going to call it, "The All Day Soiree."
Old 08-06-19, 04:34 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
There's a red Turbo on the "Looking for one of these" threads. Seems like it was $150 as well.
There was a nice-looking Comp TA for $100 in Raleigh. It’s no longer listed. May have had a bad fork, though, as the front brake looked wonky. I’d have gotten it, were it not five hours away!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.