Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

We got a present for you.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

We got a present for you.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 04:12 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,642 Times in 2,602 Posts
I think we all need our own individual subforums.
Old 06-03-21, 04:28 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I think the 6-speed brifter crowd will feel left out.
I use 9-speed brifters to shift 6-speed freewheels. I think I'll just sneak in and stand in the back.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-03-21, 04:55 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Where are the for sale bikes/components from this thread era going to be listed? People need to know.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-03-21, 05:04 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
In the regular marketplace.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-03-21, 05:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I use 9-speed brifters to shift 6-speed freewheels. I think I'll just sneak in and stand in the back.
I'd love to see someone 3D print an insert to shift a Shimano 6-speed UG freewheel with a first-gen Ergo lever.

Not because anyone asked, but because it'd just be wonderfully wacky.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-03-21, 06:10 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
If I had any “early brifter bikes”, I would sell them so I wouldn’t have to leave C&V to talk about them.

Thankfully my stable includes 6 speed indexed downtube shifters, then jumps all the way to 10 speed brifters.

There are already forums here that barely get any traffic, we don’t need another.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 06-03-21, 06:58 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

My late 90's Pinarello Cadore has a home.
To me, the material and geometry of this frame qualifies it as “classic”, regardless of components. For me it starts and ends with the frame, and I think we often forget that the “C” in C&V covers all of the not quite vintage based on year of production but still vintage in spirit bikes. Modern customs fall under this (the brian Chapman thread comes to mind). Those often come equipped with technology that wasn’t around or prevalent 40+ years ago, but overall maintain the classic spirit.

Some may argue that component choices kill the classic spirit, I don’t, as long as the frames got it.

Ultimately, there are few enough of these threads that they don’t take up a lot of space in the C&V forum and I don’t know that anyone has ever really complained (in the thread at least) about seeing them here, because it makes just enough sense. A solution looking for a problem, as someone above noted.

But, as noted earlier in the thread, I’m really neither here nor there on this, but this is how I see it and what I predict.

This will certainly be my favorite thread for awhile as long as it stays open

Last edited by polymorphself; 06-03-21 at 11:47 PM.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-03-21, 07:02 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N

There are already forums here that barely get any traffic, we don’t need another.
Important point. I see this going the same way as the “touring for sale” sub forum and people will slowly migrate their posts back to this forum when they don’t get the attention they deserve or desire.
Old 06-03-21, 07:13 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I think by its nature, the definition of 'classic' will drift with the passage of time. Just as 'classic car' once only referred to pre-WW2 cars. With time it came to include 50's era cars. Nowadays they have car shows for 80's cars- and they are appreciating rapidly in value too.
Same with bikes. Some people think a classic bike should only have non-aero brake levers. But that would exclude a whole chunk of late 80's bikes which came from aero levers from the factory. Others think classic bikes should only have toe-clips, etc. I think we should just let everyone define what 'classic' means for himself. If you think your bike belongs here then it belongs here. I don't see any point in separating out brifter bikes and kicking them out of the C&V forum.
No, I think it's more like music. When I was growing up (in the 80's), we had "oldies" (mostly 50's to mid-60's) and we had "classic rock" (later 60's and 70's). Some of the music from the 80's became classic rock because it had a similar aesthetic, but most of it will never age into that category, just like classic rock will never become "oldies" while any of us who have ever listened to it regularly are still around. And then there's classical, which looks on first glance like it might be defined by a very large age range but turns out to still be an active category.

In this analogy the early brifter bikes would be like 80's pop -- a historical footnote that most of us are extremely embarrassed about and wish had never happened but which a small number of deranged people still really enjoy.
Old 06-03-21, 07:18 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Important point. I see this going the same way as the “touring for sale” sub forum and people will slowly migrate their posts back to this forum when they don’t get the attention they deserve or desire.
That's the Electric Bikes forum. One could close that entire thing and nobody would notice. EBR is where the action is, and if that's not DIY enough, there's Endless Sphere.

Interesting point: C&V is second only to Road as the most popular forum at BF. We have just over double the number of posts in Mechanics as well.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-03-21, 07:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
No, I think it's more like music...In this analogy the early brifter bikes would be like 80's pop -- a historical footnote that most of us are extremely embarrassed about and wish had never happened but which a small number of deranged people still really enjoy.
Now that's a little harsh...Ergo 8's were badass. Unlike some of the aforementioned music.

Likes For clubman:
Old 06-03-21, 07:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I read Wildwood's post and it pissed me off. **** that. I have enough things to do and I waste enough time on the internet; I don't need to waste more time looking at yet another forum because you think your special bike deserves a more special home.

@Wildwood should have his own forum, limited to tall head tube, long stem, vintage steel bikes with tubulars and Arlo Guthrie inspired "party rides."

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-03-21, 07:28 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
I'll take this....thank you!

This is what I would consider a present.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-03-21, 07:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
No, I think it's more like music. When I was growing up (in the 80's), we had "oldies" (mostly 50's to mid-60's) and we had "classic rock" (later 60's and 70's). Some of the music from the 80's became classic rock because it had a similar aesthetic, but most of it will never age into that category, just like classic rock will never become "oldies" while any of us who have ever listened to it regularly are still around. And then there's classical, which looks on first glance like it might be defined by a very large age range but turns out to still be an active category.

In this analogy the early brifter bikes would be like 80's pop -- a historical footnote that most of us are extremely embarrassed about and wish had never happened but which a small number of deranged people still really enjoy.

....I think about this, every time I notice that Duran Duran is still playing to audiences. Same songs.
Not sure, but I think they're still wearing the same clothes. Everything is timeless to someone. Except the human body.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-03-21, 07:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
^^^
...this must be why old rock stars don't live long and happy retired lives. I remember watching Joan Jett and the Blackhearts playing the state fair here one year. I just felt bad for her.
Old 06-03-21, 08:42 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
I think you're totally wrong... Like you said- when I was a kid there were oldies stations, top 40 stations and there were rock stations- then there were "classic rock" stations and the stuff that was classic rock migrated to that/those stations. The rock stations kind of had the new 'metal-y' stuff as well as your "get the Led out" stuff... As things have aged- the classic rock stuff is greatly becoming what the "oldies" stations were... on the way out. Then the "new rock" "alternative" stations popped up... and either died or morphed into whatever Clear Channel or iHeart wants them to play. I like to think the music I grew up on was awesome and the musicians were all awesome and badass... Yes, there are kids that are into the Beatles and Zeppelin and Stones and stuff... but... that stuff is aging out. The music the kids are all into changes so fast and it's really not on terrestrial radio and it's all driven by forces you don't even know, man.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 06-03-21, 08:59 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Looks like a solution looking for a problem. My opinion only.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 06-03-21, 09:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
but... that stuff is aging out. The music the kids are all into changes so fast and it's really not on terrestrial radio and it's all driven by forces you don't even know, man.
I thank my 22 year old daughter for her playlists. When she was 12 she was on headsets, singing Elbow, Feist, The Hip and the Specials in the back seat on road trips. It's my turn, from Billie Eilish, to Kendrick Lamar, even some Drake (there's too much)
I only just found out my sons fave Floyd song is Wish you were Here. I'm happy he even knows it. He's got some angry music in his collection.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-03-21, 09:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Seems to me an arbitrary division of C&V. Early brifter bikes are clearly in the C&V time frame. Would make as much sense to move anything with dual pivot brakes. Might have been better to poll the C&V section or at least consult with some of the knowledgeable stalwarts. We random members probably can come up with lots of ideas, doesn't mean they should be adopted.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-21, 09:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I think about this, every time I notice that Duran Duran is still playing to audiences. Same songs.

Meeting Siu, with a view, to some threads
Chasing faces, secret raceways, in a shed

Brifters not for me,
But you know, the plans they're making
Not our cupp'a tea,
Could it be, the whole forums' turning snide...
A sacred "WHY?!"
Willwood laughing inside
The forum cried...

Then they wrenched on a Firenze,
Those modern bits were all they need,
Wrenched on a Firenze,
To protest cries of vintage steeds,
They wrenched on a Firenze,
Those modern bits were all they need,
Wrenched on a Firenze...
(All /s, of course).

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-09-21 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-03-21, 10:00 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Personally, I think anything at least 20 years old classifies as classic, and at this point in the timeline anything made before 1985 is vintage, regardless of what kind of components are currently adorning it.

I’m not a fan of splitting things off into another forum, I’m firmly in the “keep it all together” camp.

But I’ll go wherever the road takes me.
Old 06-04-21, 01:45 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'd love to see someone 3D print an insert to shift a Shimano 6-speed UG freewheel with a first-gen Ergo lever.

Not because anyone asked, but because it'd just be wonderfully wacky.

-Kurt
As long as you use a Shimano SIS rear derailleur, there's no need to change or add anything.

6-speed block with 9-speed Ergo:

Old 06-04-21, 01:52 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think you're totally wrong... Like you said- when I was a kid there were oldies stations, top 40 stations and there were rock stations- then there were "classic rock" stations and the stuff that was classic rock migrated to that/those stations. The rock stations kind of had the new 'metal-y' stuff as well as your "get the Led out" stuff... As things have aged- the classic rock stuff is greatly becoming what the "oldies" stations were... on the way out. Then the "new rock" "alternative" stations popped up... and either died or morphed into whatever Clear Channel or iHeart wants them to play. I like to think the music I grew up on was awesome and the musicians were all awesome and badass... Yes, there are kids that are into the Beatles and Zeppelin and Stones and stuff... but... that stuff is aging out. The music the kids are all into changes so fast and it's really not on terrestrial radio and it's all driven by forces you don't even know, man.
Sure, it's aging out, but it's still called classic rock.

Anecdotally, my 20 year old daughter is really into Pink Floyd, but she and I disagree over whether or not The Division Bell is classic. She thinks it is. I think it's what happens when a band (or some members thereof) don't know when to quit. She also likes Hall and Oates, so I feel like her credibility is weak. I think this is still tracking, very loosely, to the bike situation.
Old 06-04-21, 05:03 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Personally, I think anything at least 20 years old classifies as classic, and at this point in the timeline anything made before 1985 is vintage, regardless of what kind of components are currently adorning it.
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I think by its nature, the definition of 'classic' will drift with the passage of time.
All in the eyes of the beholder. I've never really thought of it, but while for some reason I look at the vintage cutoff being 30 years, others certainly see it differently. And classic is even a muddier line I suppose. Bike boom bikes like I have hanging in my garage easily fell into vintage by that yardstick but I've never seen them as classics. But I have a couple of Takaras I guess are classic examples of vintage bike boom bikes now that I consider it differently.

I couldn't understand why some people were so for or against this new forum but I suppose it may stem from these interpretations of classic and vintage and their passion for bicycles spilling over into it. Riding what you love and loving what you ride is why most people read the C&V forums and keep it active.

Old 06-04-21, 05:51 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Sure, it's aging out, but it's still called classic rock.

Anecdotally, my 20 year old daughter is really into Pink Floyd, but she and I disagree over whether or not The Division Bell is classic. She thinks it is. I think it's what happens when a band (or some members thereof) don't know when to quit. She also likes Hall and Oates, so I feel like her credibility is weak. I think this is still tracking, very loosely, to the bike situation.
I think it follows quite well to bikes- "Old" is relative. Whether it's called "classic rock" or "oldies" is irrelevant- it's what old people listen to.

Several years ago- I was watching a movie with Jamie Gertz in it- she was friends with a 21-ish girl. She was bagging on the young girl for taking home a "grunge era leftover." It sounded like a creepy old dinosaur. And it hit me- I'm that "grunge era" old. I'm the equivalent of that goofy old guy dancing around to Jan and Dean in the metal shop when I was 22. Yeah, he was a big, gruff guy, he was a biker, I'm sure when he was younger he was a big scary biker guy- but he was old and loved old people music. He's probably in an assisted living facility- being awful to the caregivers and cranking up Jan and Dean really loud thinking he's a badass. No matter how "cool," "hip" or "with it" you think you are... you're still old.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.