Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike gearing?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bike gearing?

Old 06-18-21, 02:47 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
It's too bad that triples are essentially extinct. That allows close ratios along with very low gears.

I use my 34-32 low gear even on moderate grades. It's nice to have the choice to spin up the hill at 80-90 rpm.
And the 34-32 low lets me stay seated on 10-12% grades, where I would have to stand up with higher gearing.

14-32 cassette!
A few years ago, I got this idea from a BF thread: 50/34 front and a custom 14-32 rear. The link explains how to build it from a 11-32 and 14-28.

It was perfect for my fast-for-me group rides that also had some steep climbs. I had really close shifts from 18-24 mph, and the low climbing gears. I would spin out at around 30 mph, which was fine.

It's probably not too practical without electronic shifting -- in the 34 ring, the shifts are so close together that I would usually shift two cogs at a time. And I would shift the chainrings a lot more than with a wider range 11-32. To match cadences, a chainring shift needs 4 or 5 shifts in the rear, instead of the usual 3 shifts! Easy with electronic shifting.

Now, with smaller, less competitive groups, I'm back to 11-32, so that I have some high gearing to soft pedal on longer downhills.
I had a cassette made from combining two donor cassettes, but I had trouble downshifting at the transition from one donor cassette to the other.

Bike Forums - View Single Post - Custom 12-28 cassette
Old 06-18-21, 03:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
OK, another side thought. The trend is to easier gears, the days of the 53 chainrings and bigger are behind us - not saying it not ridden anymore, quite a few still have those rings but they are looked upon as not getting the message.

How does that trend square with the pretty well parallel trend to ever smaller cogwheel on the back, 12 to 11 and now to 10, where it probably has to stop, not because that would be enough but mechanical reality simply kicks in at this point.

And you bet that everybody with 30+ cogs on the back will try to merry (spelling?) it with the 10 on the small end. DOH

If you need that big plate on the back, maybe it is time to switch to triple chainrings on the front instead?
It just gives you a wide gear range without resorting to a triple. Why would anyone run their drivetrain in a 34/10 gear? Maybe you just associate a “big plate” on the back with a slow rider, but it isn’t the case.
Old 06-18-21, 04:23 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
At some point an additional small, very light weight, chain ring in the front makes a lot more sense than one or two more dinner plate size cogs in the back. Especially if you didn't already went to 1x and ditched the front DR all together.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 06-18-21, 08:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
At some point an additional small, very light weight, chain ring in the front makes a lot more sense than one or two more dinner plate size cogs in the back. Especially if you didn't already went to 1x and ditched the front DR all together.
Well, that's what triples are. I like a 24 or 26 granny ring so I can have my rear cogs even closer together.
Old 06-18-21, 08:31 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
So at what point is that then? I’m quite happy with a compact double on my road bike, which is probably why they are so common. I used to hate triples when they were standard on MTBs. Much prefer 1x gearing off-road.
Old 06-18-21, 10:54 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
But there are still plenty of people around with nowhere near 4.25W/kg on tap who think a 34/34T gear is still too low to even consider for hilly rides. I pass them all the time grinding away at sub 50 rpm in their lowest gear when they would most definitely benefit from a lower ratio.
I don't see very many low-cadence grinders these days. I do see riders using 34/34 on climbs, but they're not spinning high cadences. Maybe 80 rpm or so. One thing I have noticed: I never see them stand (not a good thing--alternating between seated and standing is better).

Personally, my legs are still managing okay with a 34/28 lowest gear. That gear rarely gets used--it's the "bail out" gear when I'm tired, or when the grade is double-digit for more than just a short section.

Pushing a bigger gear isn't the worst thing in the world. It will make your muscles stronger, and it's more aerobically efficient than spinning. FWIW, my best climbing times usually happen when I'm pushing a bigger gear.

My preferred climbing cadence is 65-75 rpm, and my four lowest gears give me several comfortable options in the sub-10 mph speed range:

from bikecalc.com

Old 06-18-21, 10:56 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Given my meager power output, none of these are close ratio cassettes; I need single tooth jumps from 12T through 17T. Fortunately I do not live in escarpment country; learned a new word today.
I live right on a part of the Niagara Escarpment called the Oak Ridges moraine. We grew up knowing what an escarpment was
Old 06-18-21, 11:33 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I made that post hinting at triple on the front to 'enrich' the discussion but I believe nobody enjoys shifting the front, besides it being disruptive on pace, most if not all chain drops are on account of that.
Old 06-18-21, 12:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I made that post hinting at triple on the front to 'enrich' the discussion but I believe nobody enjoys shifting the front, besides it being disruptive on pace, most if not all chain drops are on account of that.
I'm not sure how that's relevant, considering that people mostly aren't recommending 1x. And, a well-designed triple can in some cases reduce the amount of front shifting that a rider is doing compared with a double, in addition to reducing the pedaling disruption of shifts by permitting tighter front ratios.

The issue with recommending a triple isn't that they don't have merit in the context of this thread, it's that there aren't a lot of current options for them with modern drivetrains.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-18-21, 12:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I live right on a part of the Niagara Escarpment called the Oak Ridges moraine. We grew up knowing what an escarpment was
I also had to look up "moraine." I should have taken a geography elective.
Old 06-18-21, 01:20 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't see very many low-cadence grinders these days. I do see riders using 34/34 on climbs, but they're not spinning high cadences. Maybe 80 rpm or so. One thing I have noticed: I never see them stand (not a good thing--alternating between seated and standing is better).

Personally, my legs are still managing okay with a 34/28 lowest gear. That gear rarely gets used--it's the "bail out" gear when I'm tired, or when the grade is double-digit for more than just a short section.

Pushing a bigger gear isn't the worst thing in the world. It will make your muscles stronger, and it's more aerobically efficient than spinning. FWIW, my best climbing times usually happen when I'm pushing a bigger gear.

My preferred climbing cadence is 65-75 rpm, and my four lowest gears give me several comfortable options in the sub-10 mph speed range:

from bikecalc.com
I have a 34/34 and I'm definitely in it once the gradient goes above 10% unless it's a very short climb that I'm going to power over. I'm usually forced down to 70 rpm or less at that point too. I'm a reasonable climber, but at around 80 kg I'm certainly not going to win any KOMs. I agree on alternating between standing and sitting, but I think that's just a personal preference really. It's not something I think about while riding.

Now I'm interested that you say your preferred climbing cadence is 65-75 rpm. So what is your preferred cadence on the flat at the same power output? I'm assuming it's somewhat higher and in which case why would that be the case? I keep meaning to compare my climbing times on Zwift using ERG vs slope mode to see if I'm actually faster or slower at a higher climbing cadence than my road gearing would actually allow. I'm not talking about spinning as such, just a normal cadence around 80-90 rpm vs a forced 65-75 rpm due to running out of gears. I get the feeling it would be a bit faster overall, especially on a longer climb where muscle fatigue would be a factor at low cadence.
Old 06-18-21, 01:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I am trying to learn how to stand and climb. My lowest gear ratio is 34 x 25, and when I try to stand, it feels like I should shift to a small cog, i.e., 34 x 23 or 21; am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-18-21, 01:49 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I believe the reason cadence is different on climbs and flats given the same power output is the effect gravity has in those two scenarios. The higher the effect of gravity, the less forward momentum.
Old 06-18-21, 01:51 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I am trying to learn how to stand and climb. My lowest gear ratio is 34 x 25, and when I try to stand, it feels like I should shift to a small cog, i.e., 34 x 23 or 21; am I doing something wrong?
Most people shift to smaller cogs when climbing vs. sitting.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-18-21, 02:06 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I believe the reason cadence is different on climbs and flats given the same power output is the effect gravity has in those two scenarios. The higher the effect of gravity, the less forward momentum.
Most definitely. I can spin up a short 8% grade at 90rpm in 50 x 13, provided there was a long -8% grade right before it.
Old 06-18-21, 02:57 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

It's totally normal to shift to a higher gear when standing. It should feel like a walking cadence.

Old 06-18-21, 03:06 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
It's totally normal to shift to a higher gear when standing. It should feel like a walking cadence.
Or find a steeper hill!
Old 06-18-21, 03:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Most people shift to smaller cogs when climbing vs. sitting.
colnago62 terrymorse Thank you, both. Cycling was much more simpler when I was a teenager, even though I only had 10 speeds, but probably a better power to weight ratio than now, most likely due to a vast increase in the latter factor.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-18-21, 03:11 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Now I'm interested that you say your preferred climbing cadence is 65-75 rpm. So what is your preferred cadence on the flat at the same power output? I'm assuming it's somewhat higher and in which case why would that be the case?
Yes, my preferred flat riding cadence is higher, about 85-95. Why the difference? No idea.

I also find it harder to maintain the same power on the flat as on uphills. It's not an aerobic limit thing, the legs just don't want to push as hard. Why? Also, no idea.

OK, maybe one idea: I climb often, and my body has gotten accustomed to putting out power when climbing. Body's not as accustomed to pedaling on the flat, so it's not as powerful there.

Old 06-18-21, 03:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
That's the great thing about modern shifting - you can shift two click up when you stand, and back two clicks when you sit back down.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-18-21, 03:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Yes, my preferred flat riding cadence is higher, about 85-95. Why the difference? No idea.

I also find it harder to maintain the same power on the flat as on uphills. It's not an aerobic limit thing, the legs just don't want to push as hard. Why? Also, no idea.

OK, maybe one idea: I climb often, and my body has gotten accustomed to putting out power when climbing. Body's not as accustomed to pedaling on the flat, so it's not as powerful there.
I find that even if I have a gear that lets me climb at 90rpm, I prefer to do it in the low 80s. I have found myself shifting to a higher gear on places like Old La Honda, running 36x30 instead of 36x34 most of the way, but saving the 34 for the toughest bits in the last mile.

On the flats 95-105 feels right.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-18-21, 05:43 PM
PeteHski

I find much the same. I think I am just used to climbing at a lower cadence simply because of the limitation of road gearing, especially before compact chainsets became the norm. But on a mountain bike I will tend to use a more normal 80-90 rpm up climbs because the gearing allows it.
I found that a power meter really helped me to pace better on the flat.
Old 06-18-21, 06:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
In a way. Formally, it's known as crank inertial load: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11784546/
But yeah, it's about gravity.
Old 06-18-21, 06:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I found that a power meter really helped me to pace better on the flat.
Same here, it's when I recently got a power meter that I realized my power was much lower on the flat than when climbing. Even though the perceived effort felt about the same.

Old 06-18-21, 06:08 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

from bikecalc.com
This is entirely dependent on gradient and the watts you can push. Yea sure pros can get away with 36-28, because the watts required to push RPM X at gradient Y is doable for them.
Likes For ZHVelo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.