Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Raleigh 20. I'm guessing vintage, anyone know the value?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-23-22, 11:42 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts

our local cl has a raleigh 20 advertised for sale. made in knottingham england, year unknown. 3 speed ih. they're asking 350 dollars for this bike? is this too much. is the bike heavy, or heavier than normal for a folder, i have back issues and would have to lift it alot. thanks for any input. ride on!
Old 04-23-22, 12:57 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
our local cl has a raleigh 20 advertised for sale. made in knottingham england, year unknown. 3 speed ih. they're asking 350 dollars for this bike? is this too much. is the bike heavy, or heavier than normal for a folder, i have back issues and would have to lift it alot. thanks for any input. ride on!
$350 seems a steep price. Maybe it has some retro appeal, but if you're interested in a practical folding bike I think that for the same money you could get something more modern and possibly lighter on the second hand market if you look for it. Otherwise, if you're willing to spend a little bit more you could get something brand new which again will be modern and lighter. The Raleighs were ok for their time, but I'd only recommend buying it if retro 60's and 70's bikes are your thing.
Old 04-23-22, 03:11 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
That is too much. The bike itself has some charms. It has a stiff frame. It rides like a normal bike. However, the brakes are way long and rims are steel. You will effectively have no brakes in the rain and weak braking in good weather. The threads on its screws are Whitworth, so everything will be hard to find if you need to replace stuff. The bike has a horrible fold. Nearly as large folded as unfolded. And last, as you said, it is heavy.
Old 04-24-22, 05:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
You said $350, so I assume it is not this $300 one.
https://janesville.craigslist.org/bi...475094321.html

I have not seen a Raleigh folder for years, can't comment too much on them. But there are some generic Raleigh things on their full size bikes of that era that are likely common on the folders too. Using the link I posted above:
1 - This bike has a cottered crank. The cotter pins are hard to replace, unlikely that your local bike shop will have one. And if you buy one it might not fit as well as the one you removed.
2 - I had a 72 Raleigh full size bike, the fender mounts on the frame, I am not sure if they were number 12 fine thread or what, but the hardware store did not have any replacement bolts, would likely need to be re-tapped if you need screws.

You said Nottingham, the bottom bracket threads will have a thread that is specific to that factory. Nothing else will fit, but I think that Phil might have made replacement bottom bracket parts, or might have at one time if you wanted to change cranks, but that would be pricy if you got one from Phil.

I would expect it to be pretty heavy.

ADDENDUM:

I think that about half of it would be metric for wrench sizes, but the other half Whitworth. The Whitworth bolts, you would need adjustable wrenches. That is not a deal breaker, just a warning that you will struggle if you were not aware that you need an adjustable wrench for a lot of fittings.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 04-24-22 at 08:08 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-28-22, 08:57 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Hold out for a cheaper R20, they made a buncha them..many many many.

I do think that price would be suitable for a 'resto-mod' version, with a modern BB, light-weight high quality aluminum parts, 451 wheels, short-reach brakes etc.
mainly because it's a lot of work to get one modernized.
Adding high quality, components to an old R-20 makes for a pretty nice usable transportation, the frames are good and sturdy.
The above comment is right: "You said Nottingham, the bottom bracket threads will have a thread that is specific to that factory. Nothing else will fit, but I think that Phil might have made replacement bottom bracket parts, or might have at one time if you wanted to change cranks, but that would be pricy if you got one from Phil."
I did just that, purchased Phil Wood cups and fitted a Shimano bottom bracket BB-UN55 ( i think..) so I could run 'modern' square-taper cranks, in my case a Campagnolo Chorus (!)
- is just what I had lying around. After all the effort to lighten it, it's still a pretty heavy bike, I knick-named it 'The Boat Anchor"

Again for an old, stock R20 the price seems high, but perhaps a totally stock one, with zero miles on it, would fetch such a high price... if that is your thing.
But what the hell do I know? Lot's of prices seem crazy these days...
Lastly the R20 is probably too heavy for what you are seeking, even with modifications.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 04-28-22 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Shimano bottom bracket BB-UN55
Old 05-04-22, 02:14 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Fully modernizing an R20 requires a lot of work. For me, the only thing I would upgrade are the rims. Change it to aluminum and be done with it.
Old 05-04-22, 10:44 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
$350 is a lot for an old heavy folder. Yes, they are cool, they have a nostalgic appeal, but you can get a newer folder for that money.
Old 05-16-22, 04:21 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Nobody goes fishing for the smallest fish.
I’ve got over $250 in my modded R20.
A blast to ride but stupid money. I could have bought a few hair transplants!
Old 05-16-22, 04:28 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by social suicide
A blast to ride but stupid money. I could have bought a few hair transplants!
But you would not get them with Whitworth threading.