Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

stolen bontrager ti recovered-

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-20-22, 05:47 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,492 Posts

not mine-just seen the story & thought how others in the same situation may learn cool heads prevailed.photo of suspect thief.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik...476423995.html
Old 05-21-22, 07:53 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
The Craigslist poster and his daughter did a double disservice to their community.

Leaving personal property like bikes, cars and homes unlocked creates opportunities for thieves, and news of opportunities gets around.

Not prosecuting the thief sends the word that the consequences for theft are not high.

Of course being homeless is tough and often unfair, but enabling and then forgiving theft is never the answer.
Old 05-21-22, 08:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
People need to be held to account for crimes they commit. Even if "only" burglary or other relatively non-impacting crimes. Else there's little to nothing to dissuade such people from continuing to act criminally. JMO.

Had a bike stolen from me a few years back. Burglary from an occupied dwelling, a felony. He was recorded during commission of the crime, and coming back another time afterward. He's got a felony on his record, now, and paid back the full value of the missing bike (bike + components + upgrades, etc). Of course, he's also a druggie, so who knows if he'll ever stop until he's wiped that aspect from his life. Still, either way, from here on out subsequent crimes are going to get dealt with more harshly, given what he got caught doing and plead guilty to. That's on him. May he be happy with that. And may everybody who knows the guy be on continual watch for what he's willing and capable of doing, in future.
Old 05-21-22, 11:34 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
The P&R forum appears to have metastasized.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-21-22, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I want that bike, not teaching your daughter to keep the bike locked and not caring for it, is a good sign that isn't a bike for you or your daughter. Parents need to raise their kids right and teach them how to lock their bikes and take care of them especially nice ones like that.

I don't know if not arresting the dude was right or wrong, I have known a lot of homeless folks and they do need help and police and the prison system is never actual help but stealing bikes is absolutely wrong even if the owner is a moron and shouldn't be allowed to have it if they aren't going to care for it.

A Bontrager Ti frame with SID fork and CK Headset would be an absolute dream.
Old 05-21-22, 08:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The P&R forum appears to have metastasized.
The A&S list, as well as its cousin the Living Car Free list, over time has hosted several dogmatists that would have been laughed out of P&R for unhinged ranting about perceived enemies of cycling and so-called "cycling culture". This thread is no where close to that level of tom foolery.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-23-22, 07:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I want that bike, not teaching your daughter to keep the bike locked and not caring for it, is a good sign that isn't a bike for you or your daughter. Parents need to raise their kids right and teach them how to lock their bikes and take care of them especially nice ones like that.

I don't know if not arresting the dude was right or wrong, I have known a lot of homeless folks and they do need help and police and the prison system is never actual help but stealing bikes is absolutely wrong even if the owner is a moron and shouldn't be allowed to have it if they aren't going to care for it.

A Bontrager Ti frame with SID fork and CK Headset would be an absolute dream.
You miss the point where the dad says he's had the bike for 30 years? That's awfully harsh talk about a kid who made a small (probably one-time) mistake and her father. She thought the bike would be safe there, she's learned otherwise. Hardly disqualifies her from applying the learned lesson in the future, and definitely doesn't give you a license to question his parenting skills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-22, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by BobbyG
The Craigslist poster and his daughter did a double disservice to their community.

Leaving personal property like bikes, cars and homes unlocked creates opportunities for thieves, and news of opportunities gets around.

Not prosecuting the thief sends the word that the consequences for theft are not high.

Of course being homeless is tough and often unfair, but enabling and then forgiving theft is never the answer.

First of all, they don't decide who gets arrested and prosecuted, the police and prosecutors do. Dad got the word out and the bike was taken away from the thief, good on him.

Second of all, it must be so nice to be so perfect that you see fit to lecture a kid on doing "a disservice to the community" by making a mistake.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-22, 01:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You miss the point where the dad says he's had the bike for 30 years? That's awfully harsh talk about a kid who made a small (probably one-time) mistake and her father. She thought the bike would be safe there, she's learned otherwise. Hardly disqualifies her from applying the learned lesson in the future, and definitely doesn't give you a license to question his parenting skills.
Nope didn't miss that that is why I said what I said. If you give it to your kids and don't teach them how to lock the bike up, that is not good. Maybe I sounded a little harsh but look at that bike, come on. Maybe I shouldn't have said "moron" but you gotta take care of nice bikes like that and teach your kids to take care of them better.
Old 05-23-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Nope didn't miss that that is why I said what I said. If you give it to your kids and don't teach them how to lock the bike up, that is not good. Maybe I sounded a little harsh but look at that bike, come on. Maybe I shouldn't have said "moron" but you gotta take care of nice bikes like that and teach your kids to take care of them better.

Did you miss the part where he was mad at his child because she didn't lock it? What exactly was he supposed to do, disown her?

Kids make mistakes, it doesn't mean the parent didn't teach them. Do you know any perfect kids who never do something careless despite what their parents tell them? And you're damn right you shouldn't have said "moron". You didn't just sound "a little harsh", you sounded like the typical non-parent telling a parent how much better at it you'd be.
Old 05-23-22, 03:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
WTF!

I saw this reported in Google news a while back. We need some better material to work with.
Old 05-23-22, 03:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Did you miss the part where he was mad at his child because she didn't lock it? What exactly was he supposed to do, disown her?

Kids make mistakes, it doesn't mean the parent didn't teach them. Do you know any perfect kids who never do something careless despite what their parents tell them? And you're damn right you shouldn't have said "moron". You didn't just sound "a little harsh", you sounded like the typical non-parent telling a parent how much better at it you'd be.
Ok maybe I was way harsher than needed. Fine whatever. Maybe relax a little or not you do you!
Old 05-23-22, 11:21 PM
ultramagnetic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

This county is full of moronic enablers. DAs, police chiefs, city council members, county supervisors, sheriffs, and the fools that put them in office.
Old 05-24-22, 04:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ultramagnetic
This county is full of moronic enablers. DAs, police chiefs, city council members, county supervisors, sheriffs, and the fools that put them in office.

I'm pretty sure that if the cops had arrested the guy, they would have had to impound the bike as evidence.
Likes For livedarklions: