Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 03-10-21, 04:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Just to make sure we're helping in the right way, what country would you like the frame to be from? And what size?

Might be easier for us to help you avoid something too tempting that way
Geez, it's like holding a recovering addicts meeting in a bar, next to a pot dispensary and a crack house.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-10-21, 04:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8187 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Not really helping, here.....
How about this? You must be crazy to want so many bikes! You can only ride one at a time, right? Don't you have anything better to do with your money?
Old 03-10-21, 04:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
How about this? You must be crazy to want so many bikes! You can only ride one at a time, right? Don't you have anything better to do with your money?
That's more like it!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-10-21, 04:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
A good collection has a theme. If you don't have a defined theme to your collection, then you are just hoarding. I don't discern a theme to your madness, so perhaps spending your money on a therapist might be better.
Old 03-10-21, 04:23 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Scheduled to get our first shot on Friday. We got in line this morning and were told that, as foreigners, we have to come back Friday, with the rest of the stragglers. We also had to go to the Palacio and get a Carta de Residencia to prove we actually live here.The woman in that office echoed the Friday thing. It's always good to hear something like that twice. I stepped into the Police station to ask where to find said carta, and one of them came with us and introduced our issue to the woman in charge. Such a difference from what we have experienced elsewhere in the world. Authorities falling all over themselves to be helpful.
And an interesting side note. The government is in town this week, M-F, vaccinating people 60 and over (this is the fourth municipality in the state to get vaccinated).Today is Wednesday. I went into the hardware store to get some allthread and asked after the throngs of people on the street. There was also significantly more traffic out on the road. I was told that they are no longer afraid of the Covid. Back to business as usual. Are you folk seeing that in your towns?

Mojo31
-------

We have Sexual Harassment Training every year, with a time requirement of maybe 2 hours, since I manage a group. They toss in 'interactives' every couple minutes to make sure you're not just running it on screen 2 while you work. But of course, I've been taking these things since 1990 or so, so there's never anything new and I know all the answers. Plus which, you already SHOULD know all the answers by applying the Don't Be A Dick Standard.

Which reminds me I have to do two training sessions this afternoon after my last Zoom. Oh, joy. Oh, rapture.
That's how it is for my wife who works for the school district. When she started the position last year, she had to take 80 hours of training. The videos were much like yours where she couldn't just do something else while they rolled. The part that didn't really make sense is that she works for a non-profit foundation that raises money for the purpose of providing educational grants to teachers. There is only one other employee in the foundation, and the two of them fundraise and dole out money, but do not have a presence in any schools. Her salary is partly paid by the district, but she does not work for it. But, she has to take the training in things like bullying, gender/transgender issues in the schools, and other stuff that has nothing to do with her position.

Our CLE, on the other hand, allows us to just run the video and go play golf if we want. All we have to do is fill out a form saying we watched it. Of course, lawyers never lie so it's not a big deal.
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
Does anyone else find you have to talk yourself down from projects you really don't want to undertake, but which won't leave you alone?

I'm trying really hard to convince myself that I don't want to get YET ANOTHER old steel frame, and build it up with Shimano's Sante groupset. It would be silly and quixotic AF. And I'm already having parking issues in the garage. At least with the C'dale I already had the frame, seatpost and saddle, and stem, as well as the brakes and levers, and a couple 12-25 8sp Dura Ace cassettes that were just lying fallow. This would be completely new, from the ground up. And now I already HAVE a vintage bike. Hell, THREE vintage bikes, if you count the Ritchey and Battaglin, since their frames are from the early 90s and their groupsets from the early 00's.

Cripes. The Bianchi is 15 years old now. Is IT vintage?
I don't really see any problem with another project.

#Enabler
#N+1
#Addiction
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-10-21, 04:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
And an interesting side note. The government is in town this week, M-F, vaccinating people 60 and over (this is the fourth municipality in the state to get vaccinated).Today is Wednesday. I went into the hardware store to get some allthread and asked after the throngs of people on the street. There was also significantly more traffic out on the road. I was told that they are no longer afraid of the Covid. Back to business as usual. Are you folk seeing that in your towns?
Not seeing it here. It's too soon to let down our guard IMO. It should be much safer in a couple months. I actually expect another wave of higher infections because the people getting the vaccine are NOT the people spreading it. I do not expect a spike in hospitalizations and deaths because the vulnerable people ARE getting the vaccine.

Of course I could be wrong. It would not be the first time.
Old 03-10-21, 04:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
A good collection has a theme. If you don't have a defined theme to your collection, then you are just hoarding. I don't discern a theme to your madness, so perhaps spending your money on a therapist might be better.
I'm tempted to add to my '80s Schwinn collection by picking up this beauty. Primarily for the sweet saddle.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-10-21, 04:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Geez, it's like holding a recovering addicts meeting in a bar, next to a pot dispensary and a crack house.
You've got new bikes and old bikes. Another of the same won't do anything but keep you busy for the time it takes to put it together.

If you were to get a TT bike, well then.... That takes time to master, and these other bikes would be but a dim memory whilst you were out perfecting your craft.
Old 03-10-21, 04:34 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Does anyone else find you have to talk yourself down from projects you really don't want to undertake, but which won't leave you alone?

I'm trying really hard to convince myself that I don't want to get YET ANOTHER old steel frame, and build it up with Shimano's Sante groupset. It would be silly and quixotic AF. And I'm already having parking issues in the garage. At least with the C'dale I already had the frame, seatpost and saddle, and stem, as well as the brakes and levers, and a couple 12-25 8sp Dura Ace cassettes that were just lying fallow. This would be completely new, from the ground up. And now I already HAVE a vintage bike. Hell, THREE vintage bikes, if you count the Ritchey and Battaglin, since their frames are from the early 90s and their groupsets from the early 00's.
Cripes. The Bianchi is 15 years old now. Is IT vintage?
It took several tries, and fails, but I have not bought a bike component in over a year. I am n-4 from a year ago. I have two road bikes, an off road bike, a town bike and the coupled travel bike. And a Centurion Ironman frameset that I have no intention of building. All of them vintage steel. I had a single Sante hub--the first wheel I ever built. A beautiful hub. But it went with the most recent give away bike. Life marches on without noticing the absence.

Old 03-10-21, 04:43 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'm tempted to add to my '80s Schwinn collection by picking up this beauty. Primarily for the sweet saddle.

My collection consists of two Treks and three Schwinns. And four of the five are USA made. And one of those Schwinns is an 87 Prelude. This one, I think, is somewhat newer. Columbus Tenax, rumored to be a similar spec to SL. It's a nice ride.

Old 03-10-21, 04:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Interesting. We have, of course, discussed collecting and collectors ad nauseam on vintage watch forums (fora?) and while, yes, collecting requires a theme, that theme really only needs to make sense to the collector, and may not make sense to anyone observing from the outside - e.g. Owen's coin collection from "Throw Momma From The Train". For the collector, each piece should 'speak to you' somehow, to earn its place in the collection.

In the case of bikes, TO ME, it wouldn't make sense to have a collection of bikes that are all the same - like, say, a bunch of Italian steel bikes with Campy components. I have one of those, and as a contrast I have an American bike made of Japanese steel with Shimano components. So, it wouldn't make sense for me to buy ANOTHER MAX bike, or another Ritchey. But another steel bike some how different from those other two might make sense.

I may have said it the other day - just like I won't own a watch I won't wear, a bike I don't want to ride doesn't fit in the collection. The Bianchi was getting perilously close to this till I upgraded the cranks and wheels and put on a new bar, and now I find myself wanting to ride it again. The Cannondale was only still around because I have difficulty letting go, until I built it up again in a form I'd want to ride, and it turned out even better than I'd expected - Sunday's ride, where I'd planned to do maybe 20 miles then switch, but ended up liking it so much I went the whole 50 on it - it has definitely earned its place.

Now there's not one of the 5 bikes that I DON'T fantasize about riding.

But the other part of my bike addiction is just how much fun it is to build them up. And that's where the 'old frame plus Sante parts' would fit in. But I'm not sure it's a bike I'd want to ride, and unlike the Cannondale I don't have the excuse that it's going to waste.

Old 03-10-21, 04:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, I realize that may have come across as defensive. But it wasn't meant to be. It's that your post got me thinking about what the theme is, and I realized it's "One Of Each" - the bikes each have to have something that makes them different from the others.

Old 03-10-21, 05:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

BTW, I realize that may have come across as defensive. But it wasn't meant to be. It's that your post got me thinking about what the theme is, and I realized it's "One Of Each" - the bikes each have to have something that makes them different from the others.
Well, I wasn't being critical which is why I put the "sarcasm" emoji at the end. I was just trying to joke in light of your prior "save me from myself" type comment.
Old 03-10-21, 05:41 PM
big john

Not defensive. You certainly don't have to defend your addiction on an addiction thread.
If I had the dough I'd get a new road bike first, then maybe a gravel bike or a light XC bike. Or all three. I might even try to sell the Seven.
Old 03-10-21, 05:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Not defensive. You certainly don't have to defend your addiction on an addiction thread.
If I had the dough I'd get a new road bike first, then maybe a gravel bike or a light XC bike. Or all three. I might even try to sell the Seven.
Yeah, the dough is definitely a factor. I could justify building up a vintage bike like I described a lot easier than buying a new bike I'd actually want to ride. The Canyon I bought last year was about as much as I could bring myself to spend. At that, in inflation-adjusted terms, it's actually the cheapest bike I've bought since the Cannondale back in 1995.

Old 03-10-21, 06:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Well, I wasn't being critical which is why I put the "sarcasm" emoji at the end. I was just trying to joke in light of your prior "save me from myself" type comment.
Yeah, this is the wrong place to ask to be saved from myself. It'd be like telling a friend you want to give up drinking, and he says, "That's great! Have you tried cocaine?"

Old 03-10-21, 06:21 PM
big john

Yeah, the dough is definitely a factor. I could justify building up a vintage bike like I described a lot easier than buying a new bike I'd actually want to ride. The Canyon I bought last year was about as much as I could bring myself to spend. At that, in inflation-adjusted terms, it's actually the cheapest bike I've bought since the Cannondale back in 1995.
I bought the mtb in 2018 for $3k, a super deal from a friend at the LBS. The most I've ever spent on a bike and more than all but 2 of the many cars I've had.

Been looking at a BMC, even went to a dealer and looked at them. The 105 bike is $2700 and the Ultegra takes it up to $3400, or so. Luckily they didn't have either in stock in my size and only had one for $6700. They said they could order whatever I wanted and I could have it in a couple months, or sooner. I chickened out.
Old 03-10-21, 06:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

My collection consists of two Treks and three Schwinns. And four of the five are USA made. And one of those Schwinns is an 87 Prelude. This one, I think, is somewhat newer. Columbus Tenax, rumored to be a similar spec to SL. It's a nice ride.
My deceased brother-in-law's Klein is the only Made-in-USA I have at the moment, as far as I know. It's pretty much a Trek.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-10-21 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 07:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Good thing this is too big for me. It costs almost 10 Schwinn Preludes, according to current local pricing.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-10-21, 07:32 PM
big john

Good thing this is too big for me. It costs almost 10 Schwinn Preludes, according to current local pricing.

I like it but I don't know what I would do with it. If I got another road bike it would be to replace one of the road bikes I have.

How much did you say it is?
Old 03-10-21, 07:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I like it but I don't know what I would do with it. If I got another road bike it would be to replace one of the road bikes I have.

How much did you say it is?
They're asking $1000
Old 03-10-21, 08:00 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Had the MRI today. Results to be relayed in visit with Doc on Monday. It was 22 minutes in length and I was offered music to listen to while being analyzed. I said 70's music.

This is what was played.
Imagine - John Lennon
What's going on - Marvin Gaye
Born to run - Bruce Springsteen
Layla - Derek and the Domino's
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (only about 15 seconds and the procedure was over)

I only write this to show off my memory which seems to be failing me since I've been on my A Fib meds.
Of course, if @Velo Vol was still around he would surely approve of the quality.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 03-10-21, 08:10 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Pretty bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.