Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Getting a Tern Verge to roll like a Brimpton

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-25-22, 12:09 AM
FrankLucis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of trying to roll my Tern Verge like a Brimpton. Although there're a few options available, I'm not sure any fills my need.
  • Rapid Transit Rack from Tern Does a good job of rolling on the go, however installing it makes it not possible to ride off a curb (or so they say in the manual)
  • Dahon Landing Gear Seems a nice choice. Shame it seems to only work for Dahon
  • Metro Transit Rack for Tern BYB (Actually a part of BYB, only sold separately in a handful of places) Would be most ideal. However it says it only works for BYB? I wonder if it works for my verge
I wonder if anyone knows a solution that's not very intrusive (like Rapid Transit) and proven to work, I'd be so grateful
Old 04-25-22, 03:30 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
From Tern, there's also the Trolley Rack.

Old 04-25-22, 03:49 AM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. It seems they have discontinued the trolley rack tho. Can't seem to find it from your website or even ebay
Old 04-25-22, 06:53 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I would not even bother to make it roll on small caster wheels like a Brompton

Just fold your Tern, strap the frame with Velcro, leave the handlebar up and push it like a wheelbarrow.

The small caster wheels have rollover issues on many surface.
Raised blind people markers, gaps, small single steps, etc
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 04-26-22, 08:28 AM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. Is that a thing people do? I think I heard at some point that if you roll the wheels in the wrong direction it may damage the gears. Would you know about that?
Old 04-26-22, 09:24 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankLucis
Interesting. Is that a thing people do? I think I heard at some point that if you roll the wheels in the wrong direction it may damage the gears. Would you know about that?
It doesn't damage the gears, it causes the crank arms to rotate backways, possibly scratching the frame, and making the rear wheel lock up.
Old 04-26-22, 09:34 AM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
It doesn't damage the gears, it causes the crank arms to rotate backways, possibly scratching the frame, and making the rear wheel lock up.
So would it mean I could scroll it sparingly or am I fine to scroll it that way? I'm not too sure what's the takeaway here because I'm rather a newbie in these stuff
Old 04-26-22, 09:45 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

So would it mean I could scroll it sparingly or am I fine to scroll it that way? I'm not too sure what's the takeaway here because I'm rather a newbie in these stuff
Rolling the bike backwards, pretty much ANY folded folding bike, isn't a good idea. The racks with wheels do have issues, but they avoid the risk of this type of damage. Me, personally, I roll unfolded, then fold when I want the bike stationary. I also use a velcro strap, even when the bike has the (supposed) strongest magnets to keep it together when folded.

Honestly, I love the Rapid Transit Rack. If I had a need for it I'd hunt it down and make it my own. It's a bit expensive, but it looks to be quite solid.
Old 04-26-22, 04:45 PM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Rolling the bike backwards, pretty much ANY folded folding bike, isn't a good idea. The racks with wheels do have issues, but they avoid the risk of this type of damage. Me, personally, I roll unfolded, then fold when I want the bike stationary. I also use a velcro strap, even when the bike has the (supposed) strongest magnets to keep it together when folded.

Honestly, I love the Rapid Transit Rack. If I had a need for it I'd hunt it down and make it my own. It's a bit expensive, but it looks to be quite solid.
I love it as well, but my problem with it is that once you have it installed, you cannot ride off curbs. I dunno whether I’ll suck it up and buy it in the end though lol
Old 04-26-22, 05:37 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I love it as well, but my problem with it is that once you have it installed, you cannot ride off curbs. I dunno whether I’ll suck it up and buy it in the end though lol
I wouldn't recommend riding off curbs at all on a folding bike, especially a tern,...
Old 04-26-22, 08:32 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Even my 8 and 10yr old sons do it w/o supervision (16" bi-folds, not 20" ones )
You won't damage the gears if you reverse the rolling.
At most the pedal moves backward a bit before hitting some part of the folded bike.

Total non-issue (like I said, even kids can do it)

The "nothing rolls folded like a B" is a myth.
So many issues with the small roller wheels on gaps, raised steps, etc than the user has to lift the bike, pivot it or force a push through.
Its just like small rollerblade, kick scooter, skate board wheels when you encounter those sort of small obstacles.
Old 04-27-22, 10:34 PM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Even my 8 and 10yr old sons do it w/o supervision (16" bi-folds, not 20" ones )
You won't damage the gears if you reverse the rolling.
At most the pedal moves backward a bit before hitting some part of the folded bike.

Total non-issue (like I said, even kids can do it)

The "nothing rolls folded like a B" is a myth.
So many issues with the small roller wheels on gaps, raised steps, etc than the user has to lift the bike, pivot it or force a push through.
Its just like small rollerblade, kick scooter, skate board wheels when you encounter those sort of small obstacles.
I see. That makes a lot of sense