Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Hub Brake Advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear Hub Brake Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 04:45 PM
infamousfaith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear Hub Brake Advice

Hi there I'm new to this forum, and was hoping you guys could offer me some advice on what to do with this issue I have. I own a Dahon V folding bicycle, seems to be built around the early 90's, in like new condition. But just as it's been kept in storage for 20+ years, it's also been without maintenance. Everything is stock on the bike, and nothing's been modified. Now the issue, whenever I brake with the rear brake it makes a squealing, squeaky, sound. Like an old big rig with worn out brakes. I took a look at it, and it seems to be a rollerbrake similar to a Shimano IM41, but a chinese knockoff variant, and the model states "Silent Primary 80 super brake no.11904." The brake lever's also a chinese brand I don't recognize called "Lee Chi," I'll post some pics I took so you can get a look at it. But that's my problem don't know how to make the squeaking stop, I read your suppost to regrease rollerbrakes every so often through a hole they have, but I didn't see anything that would take a nozzle on there. I just don't wanna be left without rear brakes one day while commuting around town. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Old 03-10-20, 04:50 PM
infamousfaith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah sorry it's not letting me upload photo's until I have atleast 10 points, so we'll have to do without photo's for now.
Old 03-10-20, 05:23 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
If it is a 20 year old bike the first thing you should do is replace the brake pads. Rubber hardens with age and hard rubber makes noise and doesn't work well. If you can get them Kool Stop makes good pads. Roger
Old 03-10-20, 05:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
First thing I would try is a take apart, cleaning and reassembly with proper lube. All the roller brakes (and clutches) like good grease, after a couple of decades that factory lube will be pretty dry. Andy .
Old 03-10-20, 08:06 PM
infamousfaith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay thanks for your help. Actually disregard the post completely it doesn't have hub brakes, it has regular cantilever brakes. They're just mounted awkwardly underneath the wheel rim rather than above haha I just noticed. So I guess the pads are old and dry it should be an easy fix.
Thank you everyone for all your help, have a nice day.
Old 03-11-20, 05:38 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Lee Chi is a major manufacturer of less-expensive bike parts, esp. brakes and levers. BITD we used to joke about getting a bike outfitted with a full Lee Chi gruppo.

Edit:

I Googled Lee Chi and realized that the Promax brand is made by Lee Chi. Promax is still pretty inexpensive stuff, but certainly better than the quality I associate with Lee Chi.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 03-11-20, 08:53 AM
infamousfaith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha that's hilarious. Yeah Lee Chi on my bike has been good so far, I'm using their brakes and levers trusting my life with them. I'd say that's a good test.
Old 03-11-20, 11:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Lee Chi is a major manufacturer of less-expensive bike parts, esp. brakes and levers. BITD we used to joke about getting a bike outfitted with a full Lee Chi gruppo.

Edit:

I Googled Lee Chi and realized that the Promax brand is made by Lee Chi. Promax is still pretty inexpensive stuff, but certainly better than the quality I associate with Lee Chi.

Back in the day we use to joke about getting a Wald groupo. Andy
Old 03-11-20, 12:58 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Andrew R Stewart Isn't that how Worksman bikes come from the factory?
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 05-23-21, 08:12 PM
Clockwerk

Bikes: Vintage Dahon Da Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello I've been looking for what tube to use for the silent primary super brake. I have a vintage dahon da bike with this brake. I would like to know what housing works that goes inside of the pinch bolt in order to activate the brake thank you.