Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric Winter Gloves

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Electric Winter Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 06:48 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Electric Winter Gloves

Has anyone had a good experience with electric heated gloves? I'm interested in gloves that lasted several seasons . And particularly interested in trying to keep my fingers warm.
Old 01-15-21, 11:00 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I've been using electric gear on motorcycles for more than 2 decades. Those have mostly been plug in, not battery. For a motorcycle that doesn't have enough spare juice for the gloves I bought some battery ones from gerbings. They've been working alright. I have worn them on the bicycle but haven't needed to turn the power on yet as they're thick with a long gauntlet.

So, the gerbings stuff seems good so far. WarmNSafe is another good motorcycle oriented brand that has quality 7v heated gear that might do the trick. I bought one of their battery heated shirts that my daughter uses.
Old 01-15-21, 12:05 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
My wife uses Volt battery powered heated gloves. They have very good service and are helpful. There are other brands but these heat all the fingers and thumb.

https://voltheat.com/collections/heated-gloves

I have older Gerbing goves for the motorcycle. I’d buy Warm and safe if buying today. Gerbing changed hand and the warranty is not as good.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 01-15-21, 12:46 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Yes, current Gerbings (aka, Gyde) is not like the old company. My first electric jacket and gloves set was old Gerbings from the mid-90s. The innovator for these products was the owner of WarmNSafe. If you have a lot of spare time you could talk to him on the phone about how many of his ideas have been taken and used by competitors. I had a completely unrelated question (what was the likelihood I could walk through security at work while wearing the "wireless" setup?) and he still talked at length about this other topic. He's an interesting character. I've got the WarmNSafe waterproof liner (awesome and highly recommended, the new heat panels are much nicer than the old plain copper wiring) and a couple generations old "waterproof" gloves (not recommended, never were waterproof, and I replaced the wrist strap with cycling toe straps - the wrist strap was revised on later versions and I think he gave up altogether on making them waterproof).
Old 01-15-21, 08:20 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I ride in -15C and "normal" ski type gloves work fine. However, my toes are always cold no matter what kind of precaution I use in term of socks and booty covers.
Old 01-19-21, 12:34 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I ride in -15C and "normal" ski type gloves work fine. However, my toes are always cold no matter what kind of precaution I use in term of socks and booty covers.
Have you tried Pearly's Possum Socks? But for -15C I would need those white rubber inflatable artic boots.
Old 01-19-21, 01:58 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
However, my toes are always cold no matter what kind of precaution I use in term of socks and booty covers.
I’ve been using electrically heated insoles for at least 15 years. Each autumn I groan and moan a bit about having to break out the batteries, chargers and the extra step in getting ready to ride. And each season debut I wonder why I put it off for so long.
Not going numb is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-19-21, 07:34 PM
2WheelsNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’ve been using electrically heated insoles for at least 15 years. Each autumn I groan and moan a bit about having to break out the batteries, chargers and the extra step in getting ready to ride. And each season debut I wonder why I put it off for so long.
Not going numb is a wonderful thing.
What brand/model are you using? I've resorted to using HotHands in my socks, which seem OK so far.