Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Packing it in

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Packing it in

Old 07-30-21, 08:11 PM
cobolman

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Packing it in

I've been riding year round for the past seven years and have loved it although I've taken a few falls. Two years ago I separated my clavicle but got back on the bike after a number of weeks recovery in a sling. Eight weeks ago I took another fall. I was going about 5 MPH on pavement that I had ridden hundreds of times before. I don't know what happened but the bike went down. The short story is that I broke my hip. Surgery was followed by rehab. A number of doctors said that I was in good shape for my age (74) and that my riding had contributed to my getting out of rehab early. As you can imagine recovery has been slow. I graduated from a walker to a cane to now using hiking poles when out on the street. There is a certain amount of pain but it's not unbearable . The fatigue is harder to take. A friend who has had both hips replaced says that this is normal. Much needed sleep comes and goes. We have a hospital bed in the living room. I can dress my self with tools geared to those who have broken a hip. I can empty most of the dishwasher and can climb stairs. I'm giving up the bike, I have a fear of falling again and just can't imagine going through this once more. There are worse situtations that I could be in but I'm done riding. I'm going to miss it but can't shake the fear of falling again. The physical therapist put me on stationary exercise bike a few weeks ago and I was very comfortable with it. It was like I was home. We'll be getting one in the future. Forty years ago I fell off of a horse and never rode again. Forty plus years ago I owned a motorcycle and had a few falls and one accident involving a car. I continued to ride until my children were born. I never looked back
Likes For cobolman:
Old 07-30-21, 08:42 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Although a trike would solve the fall concerns, they can be a hassle to pick up and transport. If that problem is
solvable for you, then there seem to be a fair number paved trails in the area that might be suitable depending
on pedestrian density. Can't fault your concerns in view of the age/severity of injury combo however and giving
up on a two wheeler is a sound decision. I have a few more yrs than you and banged up a hand last Nov in a
bike fall and it still won't close into even a light grip fist but I still ride.
You might check out jppe timeline after a similar hip injury a few years ago for a little inspiration:
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...roken-hip.html

Last edited by sch; 07-30-21 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 08:54 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I don't fault you for your choice at all. I spent a lot of time on a stationary bike last winter when the weather wouldn't cooperate and with either my kindle on the bars or ear buds in, I enjoyed the exercise immensely and didn't lose any conditioning. Of course, I was only 70 last year. This year I plan to ride irregardless of the weather simply because I'm not getting any younger and I can still do it. Good luck to ya,
Old 07-30-21, 10:19 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Have you considered one of the trike recumbents like the cattrike. They are astonishing fast and would provide a stable platform to ride while healing. Best wishes what ever you decide.
Old 07-30-21, 10:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
68 and still ridding. My last accident nearly took me out. I have been warned... Next fall, if I survive, NO MORE RIDDING! This scares me because it really is inevitable. So I am very careful, very slow, very cautious. Each ride I take I hope will not be my last. I am also one of those guys who does not have the mental capacity to effectively use a stationary bike or treadmill. I have tried but its just not me.

So for you... I am so glad you survived. And putting away your ridding is just another thing ya gotta go without. As you said, turned away from your motorcycle and never looked back. So on to the stationary bike. Don't forget there are things like a trike, and a recumbent, and lets not even mention the e-trike.

Hope you stay on the forum and wishing you a continued recovery...
Old 07-30-21, 10:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
if you pack it in,
be prepared
to pack it out.

courtesy of
Wilderness Rangers worldwide.

I have stopped several 'hobbies' with my advancing years. Part of the decision each time was personal safety. Volunteer ski patrol, summer USFS volunteer the biggest examples. When all the family (but me) is out of town I limit my rides to very short little excursions. The idea of an accident and going to the hospital without any support frightens me. We all make decisions about safety. No right or wrong, only what's individually satisfying. I'm 70. And always re-evaluating my options. I still ski with my son, i still backpack occasionally with a friend. e-assist might be your PT friend. Fatbike?

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-30-21 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-30-21, 10:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by cobolman
I've been riding year round for the past seven years and have loved it although I've taken a few falls. Two years ago I separated my clavicle but got back on the bike after a number of weeks recovery in a sling. Eight weeks ago I took another fall. I was going about 5 MPH on pavement that I had ridden hundreds of times before. I don't know what happened but the bike went down. The short story is that I broke my hip. Surgery was followed by rehab. A number of doctors said that I was in good shape for my age (74) and that my riding had contributed to my getting out of rehab early. As you can imagine recovery has been slow. I graduated from a walker to a cane to now using hiking poles when out on the street. There is a certain amount of pain but it's not unbearable . The fatigue is harder to take. A friend who has had both hips replaced says that this is normal. Much needed sleep comes and goes. We have a hospital bed in the living room. I can dress my self with tools geared to those who have broken a hip. I can empty most of the dishwasher and can climb stairs. I'm giving up the bike, I have a fear of falling again and just can't imagine going through this once more. There are worse situtations that I could be in but I'm done riding. I'm going to miss it but can't shake the fear of falling again. The physical therapist put me on stationary exercise bike a few weeks ago and I was very comfortable with it. It was like I was home. We'll be getting one in the future. Forty years ago I fell off of a horse and never rode again. Forty plus years ago I owned a motorcycle and had a few falls and one accident involving a car. I continued to ride until my children were born. I never looked back
Good Decision My Doctor told me if I needed a 2nd Brain Surgery he would have to Remove 1/4 of my Skull.

Old 07-30-21, 10:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
We're all going to reach that point some day, if we're lucky.
I often think about the day I'll be relegated to a stationary bike when I make my ride videos. I'll be able to re-live my glory days from a safe saddle.
Old 07-31-21, 12:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I developed osteopenia in my early 60s, a result of a malfunctioning thyroid/parathyroid. I take a massive amount of supplements, especially vitamin D and calcium. And get a bone density test every year. But if it worsens I'll probably give up outdoor cycling.

I'll keep one bike for the indoor trainer. And I walk, jog and do a little faster paced running on the track occasionally. I'll continue that for as long as possible.

But between the family history of osteoporosis and increasingly negligent drivers and dangerous conditions, I won't risk continuing to ride outdoors if the bone density continues to deteriorate. I was hit by a car in 2018 and couldn't believe how long it took to heal, and the continuing chronic pain. I'm not willing to go through that mess again.
Old 07-31-21, 02:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Big time BUMMER!!! If I was in your position, I would seriously consider a Catrike >>>

https://www.catrike.com/

Good luck
Old 07-31-21, 07:54 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
That really sucks! Take care and keep the recovery going. Gotta ask - did your bike have click-in pedals/shoes when you fell? Maybe just get rid of those? If you're still interesting some type of riding maybe try a 'flat-foot' or 'foot-forward' style cruiser bike (like the Electra Townie series) since its easy to put your foot down when needed. They have a little different riding position, and are not made for long distances, but its an idea that'll allow you to do some riding.
Old 07-31-21, 08:22 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
We're all going to reach that point some day, if we're lucky.
I often think about the day I'll be relegated to a stationary bike when I make my ride videos. I'll be able to re-live my glory days from a safe saddle.

Precisely the reason I got an action cam, first project: record the big lasso (52K)— our portion of Okanagan Rail Trail. A mix of mostly gravel and 6+ K of MUP on pavement.

That along with the other rides should be enough for plenty of indoor rides.

And as soon as the snow allows it (usually mid Nov) the 100 K of our XC skiing trails. Take along the bike computer to record just how fast I can go on some of those tracked downhill sections.
Old 07-31-21, 09:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
I broke my hip, also. But I was determined not to let it relegate me to "non-cyclist" status.

After surgery, doctor said no walking or biking for 12 weeks.

I was on the trainer at 5 weeks, on the road at 6 weeks. Rode 12,000 miles that year, with 808,000 feet of ascent.

The following year, I rode 14,500 miles, with 1,212,000 feet of ascent.

I'm riding less--and more slowly--these days, but I'm still riding. It hurts sometimes, but not enough to keep me off the bike. I'm fighting as best I can against the aging process. I'll "pack it in" when my body will no longer do what I command it to do.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-31-21, 09:31 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Rather than buying a stationary bike, why not just buy a smart trainer (wheel on, or wheel off) and use your existing bike? With the smart trainer and Zwift, it's nowhere near boring, as you're riding alongside "real" people - even though it's only their avatars. Just an option to consider.
Old 07-31-21, 10:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Rather than buying a stationary bike, why not just buy a smart trainer (wheel on, or wheel off) and use your existing bike? With the smart trainer and Zwift, it's nowhere near boring, as you're riding alongside "real" people - even though it's only their avatars. Just an option to consider.
This^
Make it a proper riding sim and stay fit in the process. I ride as much on the trainer as I do on the road anyway, much more so in the winter months.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-31-21, 11:50 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Hey cobolman! I sense this thread makes a lot of people a bit uncomfortable, because many if not most enough will live long enough to have to give up cycling.

I feel into a deep funk when I visited the LL Bean store in Pittsburgh two weeks ago. In the past I’ve looked at the wilderness equipment with a “I could do that if I wanted to”attitude. As I was hobbling about on my bum knee it occurred to me: no, I’ll never be able to do that stuff, nor would I want to. Give me a nice bed and a good Internet connection.

It was sobering and depressing. Then we watch the mutants on the Olympics. Self-satisfaction can be hard to come by sometimes.

Good luck as you sort this out. Whatever decision you arrive at will be the correct one I think.

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 07-31-21, 12:08 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
You are about 10 years more mature than I but I've had some broken bones and surgeries in the past couple of years and have another one to face. Don't quit.

I've had to give up riding uprights for recumbents and it isn't horrible. I would encourage you to look into tadpole trikes or even quads. Build yourself back up, don't pack it in. Zwift and other online riding is also an option.

Surprisingly to me, cyclists often have osteoporosis and the mortality of a fractured hip is not a happy statistic. Over a two year period, I reversed my osteoporosis by hiking with a backpack. A DEXA scan of the hip is cheap.....sorry for the thread drift.
Old 07-31-21, 01:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Lots of hobbies out there, good luck with whatever you choose. Most of us will age out eventually, though some may die in the saddle. Broken hips are no joke for old folks. We owe it to our loved ones to stay mobile and self sufficient as long as we can.
Old 07-31-21, 02:14 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I had a number of falls and broken bones, hip included, but that was about 10 years ago. At 66 I've just stopped taking any chances but still on my road bike. I bought a new pair of road shoes yesterday and hope they aren't my last pair, but given how long they last maybe they will be. But that's my thought now on buying anything for the bike, that it may outlast my riding years and maybe is not worth the money because of that. I hope to keep going for another 10 years, but certainly I won't be putting out 600 watts anymore.
Old 07-31-21, 03:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
cobolman, sounds like you’ve made a good decision for your situation. I tell a lot of folks you really have to be all in to ride, it takes effort and is certainly not for everyone. Being risk averse is not where you want to be riding a bike. Riding too defensively can just cause more issues.

Do try and stay active and figure out ways to get the HR up regularly. Continue to watch what you eat and enjoy life.

Like some others I too had to have a hip replacement from a bike crash and have been pain free since. It took me about 12 months to regain most of my previous form but I never got back there completely. It was just more effort and work than I wanted to spend. But I still do all the rides I did in the past but maybe a little slower. I’m now hitting spells more frequently where I just don’t have the desire to ride. I can see the day when riding feels like more of a chore than fun and that will probably be it for me. But I’ve done just about everything I’ve wanted to do on the bike so no looking back here either.

Best of luck with where you decide to take this thing.
Old 07-31-21, 06:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I suffer memory loss.
I hardly remember adult life without a few bikes.
Hard to envision moving forward without some.
To ride & wrench.

But not the end of my world.
Cycling is a great hobby for physical and mental well being, tho.
Don't take away my hiking boots.
Old 07-31-21, 10:58 PM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of your kind words. Thanks also for the trike and recumbent suggestions. At this point I’m only planning on getting an upright stationary bike. I am very impressed with those who told me of their own broken hips and their return to biking, I’ll miss the riding but feel that peace of mind is more important. Had I gone down at the bottom of hill going 30 MPH I might have considered getting back on the bike but to fall and break my hip while going 5 MPH has left me with a fear that it could happen again at any moment at any speed. I want to share a few nice moments that happened the day I fell. The accident happened close to the center of Salem Oregon where I live. Salem is a small city or a big town. After I fell, I tried to move my leg and realized that something was wrong. Almost immediately two woman came over and asked if I was OK. I politely said “No”. They asked if they should call an ambulance and I said “Yes”. I had my cell phone in my jacket and asked them to press the number for my wife. They did so and took my helmet and glasses off of me. I spoke to my wife and since we live a little over a mile away from where I fell she was there fairly soon. The ambulance and the fire truck was stationed a few blocks away and so they arrived very quickly also. This could have happened 10 miles north of town out in the country where I took my longer Sunday rides. They put me in the ambulance and my wife spoke to the head fireman and told him that she would follow to the hospital as soon as she put my bike in our car. He said “Don’t worry about that. My men with take care of it”. Then two young firemen picked up the bike and put it in the car for her. In case anyone is interested, my steel 2014 Bianchi Volpe seems to be fine as best as I can tell. I obviously have not taken it for a ride. It’s not the first time that it has gone down. It will make somebody a nice bike. I’m going to include lights, saddlebag and Garmin 200 Edge computer. Thanks again.
Likes For cobolman:
Old 07-31-21, 11:03 PM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On the road at 6 weeks. Amazing. I am at 8 weeks and couldn't imagine riding anything. other than the staionary bke which I did at week five.

Stay healthy.
Old 07-31-21, 11:11 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
On the road at 6 weeks. Amazing. I am at 8 weeks and couldn't imagine riding anything. other than the staionary bke which I did at week five.

Stay healthy.
At 6 weeks, I could pedal okay on the road, but I couldn’t walk without a cane. I carried a folding cane in my jersey pocket, and I needed help getting my leg over the top tube. Other than that, it was fine.

BTW, I was going about 15 mph around a gradual curve when I crashed and broke my hip. The front wheel slipped out from under me.

Old 08-01-21, 05:50 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Cobolman, there is much life after cycling. Found this out a few years back after reassessing life. I also applaud you for being sensible and not afraid of changing directions with your hobbies. Being physically and mentally well is far more important than getting in another ride. I spent the winter on a Wahoo smart trainer my son got for me. I toured all over Japan in the month of February and March, and before that I was riding in the Alps.
To paraphrase an old country song, "I took a trip and never left the farm!" This winter I'm looking forward to more virtual tours in the countries I have visited for real in the past. There will be a time when we all have to pack it in. Just have a plan to deal with it. Virtual tours, reloading and shooting are my plans.
Likes For TiHabanero:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.