Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

I tried putting a Light & Motion Seca 1800 on my Priority Current, It didn't work

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

I tried putting a Light & Motion Seca 1800 on my Priority Current, It didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 07:28 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

I tried adding an L&M Seca 1800 to my Priority current two ways. For those who don't know, this is a hard-wired light intended for eBikes. It has a wide Vin band of 6-24VDC. It draws a peak of 1.9A at 12VDC.

With that out of the way, I mounted it to the front fender bolt, frankly, it looked really good there, very much like a quality factory set up.

Then came the challenge of powering it. The first thing I did was to open the OEM light. The back unscrews easily and it has an input voltage of 6VDC. The circuit board in the OEM light even has a set of unused Vout contacts with predrilled holes. It looked like it was going to be easy. I soldered the wire from the L&M light to those holes and was ready to test.

Here came the problem. There just isn't enough power going to the headlight to reliably power the L&M. It would turn on, however, it would frequently turn off after a few seconds. Further, any attempt to change modes on the L&M, like using their daylight slow strobe, would shut the light off completely.

I then attempted to remove the OEM light from the equation and, instead of using the Vout contacts on the OEM light, wired directly to the wires feeding into the OEM light with the OEM light disconnected. There still wasn't enough power to reliably use the L&M light

It's a shame. I wanted it to work, but it isn't going to. This post might save someone else the bother of trying.
Old 03-26-22, 10:59 AM
GWM68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Robert C
I tried adding an L&M Seca 1800 to my Priority current two ways. For those who don't know, this is a hard-wired light intended for eBikes. It has a wide Vin band of 6-24VDC. It draws a peak of 1.9A at 12VDC.

With that out of the way, I mounted it to the front fender bolt, frankly, it looked really good there, very much like a quality factory set up.

Then came the challenge of powering it. The first thing I did was to open the OEM light. The back unscrews easily and it has an input voltage of 6VDC. The circuit board in the OEM light even has a set of unused Vout contacts with predrilled holes. It looked like it was going to be easy. I soldered the wire from the L&M light to those holes and was ready to test.

Here came the problem. There just isn't enough power going to the headlight to reliably power the L&M. It would turn on, however, it would frequently turn off after a few seconds. Further, any attempt to change modes on the L&M, like using their daylight slow strobe, would shut the light off completely.

I then attempted to remove the OEM light from the equation and, instead of using the Vout contacts on the OEM light, wired directly to the wires feeding into the OEM light with the OEM light disconnected. There still wasn't enough power to reliably use the L&M light

It's a shame. I wanted it to work, but it isn't going to. This post might save someone else the bother of trying.
I just got a Priority Current. The stock headlight is only good to be seen but not that great if you actually want to see the road at night. I just ordered a Magicshine ME 2000 light unfortunately before considering the power handling issue. Did you end up using another light or did you figure out your issue with the Seca 1800?
Old 03-29-22, 05:26 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GWM68
I just got a Priority Current. The stock headlight is only good to be seen but not that great if you actually want to see the road at night. I just ordered a Magicshine ME 2000 light unfortunately before considering the power handling issue. Did you end up using another light or did you figure out your issue with the Seca 1800?
I didn't get it working. At the present, I just use an L&M Urban 800 clipped to the bars. I also use an L&M helmet light.