Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help me choose... between 2 steel gravel bikes

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-26-21, 11:53 AM
Norman Rashid

Bikes: Giant Defy 1, Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have the option to choose between 2 used steel bikes. A 2018 Ritchey outback and a 2019 Bombtrack hook 1. I am into steel coz you know...I am old ..er...( I am 60 last august). I do ride every surface...road ..mtb trails...but I love gravel off-roads most. 50km per week these days. I do ride with kids less than half my age, so I have to keep up too. Both bikes about same price...Help me decide
(Oh btw my current gravel ride is an entry level Specialized Sirrus convert with Microshift AdventX and 38mm panaracer gravel king SS+)

Last edited by Norman Rashid; 09-26-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-26-21, 03:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
A lot of it would depend on the parts build, but if all things are equal, the Ritchey's carbon fork vs the Bombtrack's aluminum would influence me strongly. Plus, I love Tom Ritchey's bikes and their heritage, but I don't know squat about Bombtrack.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-26-21, 03:39 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
https://99spokes.com/en-AU/compare?b...-frameset-2019

Ride feel, I'd go for the Ritchey. The steel tubing and carbon fork will ride less harsh.

Ritchey has a 10mm lower bottom bracket, so you'd feel a little more in the bike.

A little different front end position between the bikes, to consider.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 09-26-21, 05:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Surprised the Hook has 60mm of bb drop as that is really shallow for any gravel bike over the last decade.

The Outback can clear 40mm, but not sure how much more as that model year is more limited than their newest version.

I would go with whichever fit best, based on geometry spec.
If it's a toss up for geometry, I would go Ritchey every time.
Old 09-26-21, 07:28 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Hah, nice to have two great used bike choices! I have ridden both and both are well-made and are absolutely wonderful bikes depending on what you are looking for. I would ride both and confirm if one seems much more comfortable than the other and let that be the decisionmaker. And with the used bike market right now I would not spend much time deciding as they probably will not be there for long.
Old 09-27-21, 10:11 AM
Norman Rashid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys for all the comments..I am leaning towards the Ritchey too..but we'll see..
Old 09-27-21, 03:37 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Wow, nice choice. Fit and condition would rather seal the deal for me, but I'd love to have a Ritchey outback!
Old 09-27-21, 07:44 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Man, I dunno, I'd go Ritchey. And then see if you can get a steel fork from him

Always been curious about Bombtracks, they look cool. But is that a thing, a steel bike with an aluminum fork?
Old 09-29-21, 11:51 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 484 Posts
I’ve got a Swiss Cross V2. Not quite the Outback but has a lot in common. I can clear 42-43mm tires no problem, despite the 38mm rating. I think the Outback is a bit more than that.

It’s a very stable and comfortable bike. It’s fast but doesn’t feel fast. More like surprised that I just PR’d all my segments on a rest day sort of thing. I love descending on it.

I don’t like the way the rear derailleur cable routes over the top tube. It’s an unnecessary point f friction. The rear loop routes over the chain stay though, reducing friction, so it’s probably a wash. Or get electric shifting and forget about it.
Old 10-05-21, 03:04 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Big difference between them is geometry - which matters more than who built it. (FWIW I have a 1988 Ritchey hardtail). The Ritchey has slacker head tube, longer chain stays, longer wheelbase which will make it more stable on faster descents.
Old 10-05-21, 03:54 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
https://www.ridinggravel.com/gravel-...utback-finish/
https://www.fixie75.com/en/shop/grav...k-1-navy-2019/

The Outback seems more racy (carbon fork, no rack mounts, steep head angle, probably better steel), while the Hook seems more utilitarian (alloy(?) fork, rack/fender mounts).
Old 10-11-21, 11:37 PM
Norman Rashid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sadly someone snagged the Ritchey Outback.. he/she must've been reading this post.. so I got the Bombtrack Hook 1 instead and replaced the wheelset and brakes to Shimano ultegra rx 's. ... it's been a blast so far. but.. still wondering bout that Ritchey...
Likes For Norman Rashid: