Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

tubeless tires setup. Your LBS labor charge.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 10:02 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

What does your LBS charge for setting up your wheelset tubeless, if you buy the parts(valves, tape, and sealant) from them?

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-14-21 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-14-21, 10:07 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
What does your LBS charge for setting up your wheelset tubeless, if you buy the parts from them?
If I buy tape, valves and tires? $0
Old 02-14-21, 10:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
If I buy tape, valves and tires? $0
I should have said "excluding tires".
Old 02-14-21, 10:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I think the shop owner I ride with occasionally mentioned $20/wheel. I don't know anyone who actually pays a shop to do this but apparently it's not unusual.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-14-21, 10:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I've never had the shop do the whole set up for me, but I have brought in wheels/tires when I've had difficulty seating them. Never a charge for that, though.
Old 02-14-21, 10:40 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
prices for labor vary widely by region. I would expect a job like this to cost 1.5 to 2 times what a tube replacement would cost.
Old 02-14-21, 11:15 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I bought a new set of wheels and tyres from my LBS last June. They set them up tubeless for me,and did not charge me labour. Same for a set of wheels and tyres I bought last year for my winter bike. As long as I buy from them, they are quite happy to do the set-up free of charge.
Likes For rivers:
Old 02-14-21, 11:18 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think the shop owner I ride with occasionally mentioned $20/wheel. I don't know anyone who actually pays a shop to do this but apparently it's not unusual.
I had never needed a shop to mount tires for me in 20+ years of riding, but the tire / rim combo I just got proved to be difficult. I could have fought it and probably won, but decided going to my LBS rather than risking any damage to the rims was worth it. I did not buy my most recent bike from this shop (they are having supply constraints and I found a bike in my size that I wanted at a friend's shop in another town). In the past, they've done small things for free on bikes I've purchased from them. I expected to pay for this - it was $20 / rim. I could have fought with it longer, but the price was worth it to me rather than battling it for a few hours. Talked to the person that did the mounting - she showed me the crank brother levers she used. She might have been trying to make me feel better, but noted that these were a particular pain in the ass. I'll be getting a set of the levers she used for the future. I also don't mind paying this shop for service on occasion because a) they do good work; b) humor me when I have questions; and c) I like their shop.

I should note - I mounted the rotors and cassette before taking it in - that took all of five minutes.

edited for a really weird word substitution.

Last edited by ericcox; 02-14-21 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 02-14-21, 01:09 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
My LBS quoted $25/wheel after buying tires and everything else from them. Seemed high to me so decided to do it myself. Even with never doing it before it didn't warrant spending that much and it'll take a lot less time in the future.

I like supporting my LBS and buy some stuff from them even when I know I could get it cheaper on line but I can't get myself to pay to have them do something I am comfortable doing myself.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 02-14-21, 02:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you're going to use tubeless, you better know how to fix a big puncture by installing a boot and a tube. I recently made sure that the fulcrum tire levers I carry would break one bead so a tube can be installed, then seat the bead, so it could be reinflated. To install new tires a bead jack might be needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...54439296&psc=1
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-14-21, 03:46 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You walk in the shop I work at and want the 'set up' done...clean/tape/valve install/tire install w/ sealant it's $40.00/wheel. If it's a bike or set of wheels you buy from us, no charge.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-14-21, 06:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If you're going to use tubeless, you better know how to fix a big puncture by installing a boot and a tube. I recently made sure that the fulcrum tire levers I carry would break one bead so a tube can be installed, then seat the bead, so it could be reinflated. To install new tires a bead jack might be needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...54439296&psc=1
In my case, the Schwalbe tubeless tires were way easier to put on the rims than the GP5000 clincher, which was a major PITA even with a kool-stop jack.
Old 02-14-21, 08:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
... she showed me the crank brother levers she used....
When I was in the LBS I got my domane at, I noticed one of the service chaps have a rough time mounting some gp5k on a set of Enve rims. One of the other guys went to his car, grabbed the crank brothers lever he had just gotten in the mail at home and got he time mounted. He ordered 6 for the shop to have and said it was worth it as tubeless can be a major pain to mount. I bought one just in case, but I did not have any issues with my tire\rim combo putting mine on.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-14-21, 09:41 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
When I was in the LBS I got my domane at, I noticed one of the service chaps have a rough time mounting some gp5k on a set of Enve rims. One of the other guys went to his car, grabbed the crank brothers lever he had just gotten in the mail at home and got he time mounted. He ordered 6 for the shop to have and said it was worth it as tubeless can be a major pain to mount. I bought one just in case, but I did not have any issues with my tire\rim combo putting mine on.
My combo was gp5k / ffwd rims.
Old 02-14-21, 09:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,005 Posts
I never had any issues mounting gp4k or its variants on any of my rims in the past, but I have heard nothing but horror stories on the gp5k getting them mounted, the first time at least, so this has led me to avoid for the time.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-15-21, 08:10 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Is it common, I’ve read that it’s done, but how much I don’t know, to convert any wheel to tubeless? Or are we talking tubeless ready rims?

I have c24s cl, c40 (35 really) DA, and some Bora one.

Would it be a good idea to convert any or al of these to tubeless?

After 10 years I think I’m very sick of flats.
Old 02-15-21, 08:42 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Is it common, I’ve read that it’s done, but how much I don’t know, to convert any wheel to tubeless? Or are we talking tubeless ready rims?

I have c24s cl, c40 (35 really) DA, and some Bora one.

Would it be a good idea to convert any or al of these to tubeless?

After 10 years I think I’m very sick of flats.
We're talking about setting up wheels and tires that are tubeless ready/capable.

Converting non-tubeless rims to tubeless is known colloquially as "ghetto tubeless." I'd consider it at MTB pressures, but not at road pressures. I doubt that any self-respecting wrench would set someone up with ghetto tubeless.

Edited to add: if any of the wheels that you've mentioned were bought in the last few years, they're likely tubeless-ready. take a look at the rim bed profile -

I only know of one or two rims that have the distinctive center well that aren't tubeless ready (the new Rovals).

Last edited by WhyFi; 02-15-21 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-15-21, 09:12 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
We're talking about setting up wheels and tires that are tubeless ready/capable.

Converting non-tubeless rims to tubeless is known colloquially as "ghetto tubeless." I'd consider it at MTB pressures, but not at road pressures. I doubt that any self-respecting wrench would set someone up with ghetto tubeless.

Edited to add: if any of the wheels that you've mentioned were bought in the last few years, they're likely tubeless-ready. take a look at the rim bed profile -

I only know of one or two rims that have the distinctive center well that aren't tubeless ready (the new Rovals).
Thank you.
Old 02-15-21, 10:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ive only taken a set in once- about 5 months ago. It was already taped and the tires simply would not seat regardless of all the insane internet tricks I tried.
It took 2 guys 15 min each with constant high pressure air(more than my pump chamber blasts or a gas station pump) and a lot of grunting to seat the tires.
I hadnt brought any sealant since I figured they would just snap the tires in place and I would pay whatever they asked for labor. They ended up filling the tires and charged me for a couple small bottles of Stans. So $12 or so in total?

If I brought them wheels to fully set up- I would expect to pay $20 per tire for them to set the wheels up, even if I bought the products from them. Taping is not tough, but it is a time suck.
Old 02-15-21, 10:36 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
$30/wheel for labor alone.
I paid that (outrageous) price for four wheels and then invested ~$150 total in a 6 gallon compressor on sale from Amazon and a Prestaflator Pro gun. I do it myself now, it's easy.
Old 02-15-21, 10:36 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Taping is not tough, but it is a time suck.
As with most things, technique and materials matter. With a little practice and good tape (DT Swiss is awesome), taping shouldn't take more than a couple minutes per wheel (assuming the rim is clean).
Old 02-16-21, 10:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
As with most things, technique and materials matter. With a little practice and good tape (DT Swiss is awesome), taping shouldn't take more than a couple minutes per wheel (assuming the rim is clean).
Shops charge for adjusting brakes, adjusting shifting, changing flats, etc and all those also shouldnt take more than a couple minutes each.
In my mind, the taping taking time is if/when they need multiple layers for some tires. Its trial and error and though once take a couple minutes, it adds up when you need multiple layers.
Old 02-16-21, 10:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
This is a good reason to buy tires and such from your LBS -- mine will generally not charge for the mounting labor if I have purchased the tires from them...Especially if the bike is in for other service anyway. And the tires I use the most (WTB, Rene Herse) aren't really available at any significant discounts on the 'net, so I might as well get them from my shop.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-16-21, 11:19 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Shops charge for adjusting brakes, adjusting shifting, changing flats, etc and all those also shouldnt take more than a couple minutes each.
In my mind, the taping taking time is if/when they need multiple layers for some tires. Its trial and error and though once take a couple minutes, it adds up when you need multiple layers.
It really takes time when the customer uses tire levers and screws up their previously perfect tape. Then sealant gets under the tape and inside the rim. They bring the wheel in because the tire won't hold air and you remove the tire to find the damaged tape. Then you swear a little, remove the tape and sealant starts dripping out of the spoke holes in the rim, meaning you can't put new tape on til it's clean and dry. That takes time. Multiple layers of tape don't take much time at all.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-16-21, 11:42 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Cost my buddy around $50, brought all the supplies and tires with him so it was just labor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.