Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

best city ebike for me?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

best city ebike for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 12:22 PM
slavany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
They tend to get busy with other pedestrian traffic, runners, baby strollers, etc... even with designated bike pane/path.
I use the side streets more because there is less (motor & pedestrian) traffic in general, unless you go through a school zone during dismissal or morning drop-off.
Once in a while you get stuck behind a garbage truck, but I just move onto the sidewalk.
Got you. Any idea how long would it take from Gerritsen & T to Court St (before Brooklyn Bridge) on commuter ebike? I'm sure traffic is terrible in Downtown
Old 09-15-21, 03:14 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by slavany
Got you. Any idea how long would it take from Gerritsen & T to Court St (before Brooklyn Bridge) on commuter ebike? I'm sure traffic is terrible in Downtown
Downtown Bklyn is a *****show most of the time.
I also stick with the side streets through downtown, even against traffic flow in one-way streets sometimes; that seems to be the safest rather than fighting with motor vehicle traffic that just don't care for red lights.
Old 09-16-21, 02:54 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Ebikecusrious
Hi all, I am just recently considering an ebike, and kind of overwhelmed by all the options. Maybe y'all could help me choose? I am male, 5 10', over 200 pounds, looking for an ebike with a throttle and pedal assist ideally. Want it to be as quiet as possible and as light as possible, heavy use on bad local NYC streets. 5K is about my limit to spend.... thanks if you can help!
I'm also in the market for a commuter ebike in the $4-5k price range, though my commute is hilly so a mid-drive seems to be the recommended drivetrain. I'm currently using a 250watt front hub, and I can tell it's being stressed.

My needs are:
-mid-drive
-drop bar
-rack braze-ons
-hydro-disc
-support for 40mm+ tires.

My wants are:
-11spd
-throttle only (to help me and my 65+ lb. bike across busy crosswalks/intersections from a dead stop)
-integrated front/rear lights powered by the bike's battery
-belt drive
-internal geared hub (IGH)

And the only bike I can come up with (fullfulling all the needs, and a few of the wants) is the Cannondale Topstone Neo 5. If I give up on the drop bars and go to flat bars, the Priority Current is a nice choice since it has a belt drive and IGH, and for a lot less than the Topstone Neo.
Old 09-16-21, 04:21 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Riveting, when I rode on the street, a throttle was really helpful starting in Traffic or making a light; now off road, so not necessary. The major OEM's appear to aim for Class 1 or 3, so most have no throttle and no method for adding one AFAICT. Pretty much Rad, Aventon, Juiced or the like if you want throttle.
Old 09-17-21, 05:38 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by slavany
It's always hit or miss, constructions, traffic, road closures, garbage trucks, school busses, etc..
Usually takes me about 30-40 mins. from Ave U & Nostrand to East Williamsburg on my cargo e-bike, approx. 11 miles.
Ave T to Brooklyn Bridge maybe slightly shorter in time, hard to say.
Most of my cycling is not about getting places quick, just trying to survive among traffic & pedestrians.
Good news that Brooklyn Bridge now has designated bike lanes.. no more shouting at pedestrians.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...n6FvIcKVK6JX68
Old 09-25-21, 09:46 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
Have a look at this one. The Giant Revolt E+ just might be my next bike. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...LXymYsgtyvyAgu