Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another One Goes Up In Smoke!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 02:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

This was the unique BBQ joint we had lunch on our 100 miler a week ago. Not only does it have terrific food it’s right beside an airstrip. Sad. I sure hope they rebuild. The banana pudding alone was worth riding 100 miles for!

https://sandhillssentinel.com/pik-n-...royed-by-fire/

Old 05-30-21, 06:46 PM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess I'm not at your fitness level (yet), but I cannot imagine riding 100 miles, or even 50, having a BBQ meal, then continuing the ride. I would never be able to finish the ride after a meal like that. I usually save those meals for after the ride. Before and during I eat just enough to ensure I have enough nutrition and drink plenty of water but I do not eat more than that because I would feel sluggish.

RIP your BBQ joint, I'm sure in NC you'll find another.
Old 05-30-21, 07:08 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Damn! Thanks a FREAKING lot!
Now you've got me hankering for some good ol' BBQ (As long as it isn't that yellow sauce crap from eastern NC).

Some of the BEST BBQ I've ever had was in Dallas... Next in line was Huntsville AL...
Old 05-30-21, 08:51 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
(As long as it isn't that yellow sauce crap from eastern NC).
Oh no you didn't . .

When my brother was living in Nashville we ate at a restaurant that was also right beside an airport a perfect location for the French farmhouse during WWII theme, with all types of military equipment inside and outside including planes. With 40's era music playing and the sounds of planes taking off and landing from the Nashville airport, it really made for a great atmosphere, especially at night. 101st Airborne was the name I think.

Sorry to hear about the Pik n Pig
Old 05-30-21, 09:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Am just so impressed you are doing the high miles and celebrating accordingly. Keep it up!

Old 05-31-21, 01:52 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Many, many years ago, friends and I biked several times the ~90 miles from Fort Knox, KY down to the "Smokey Pig" near Bowling Green. It, too, burned down one night. It was a great end-of-ride meal.
Old 05-31-21, 05:25 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by ArneDarvin
I guess I'm not at your fitness level (yet), but I cannot imagine riding 100 miles, or even 50, having a BBQ meal, then continuing the ride. I would never be able to finish the ride after a meal like that. I usually save those meals for after the ride. Before and during I eat just enough to ensure I have enough nutrition and drink plenty of water but I do not eat more than that because I would feel sluggish.

RIP your BBQ joint, I'm sure in NC you'll find another.
I hear you and completely understand. I used to feel or be the same way. But I think it has a lot to do with the pace and effort you ride. If you attempted a meal like that while racing or doing a time trial it just wouldn’t work. But if you ride in a lower heart rate zone it’s very doable, at least for me. You also need to know what foods you can handle without causing heartburn or indigestion. I avoid spicy stuff and have learned to leave off the onions! But bland food works just fine. Hot dogs, turkey sandwiches and bbq with light sauces work good for me.

I learned to eat and ride on my cross country ride. I needed extra calories riding day after day. After a few weeks I’d meet my wife at a lunch spot and we’d enjoy eating lunch together and catch up on what we’d seen and go over the remainder of the route. We ate at so many Subways for a while she won’t go to those anymore!!!

But I’ll admit I tasted the Nanner Pudding several times after we continued riding that day but it was still really good each time it came back up!!!
Old 05-31-21, 05:36 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Damn! Thanks a FREAKING lot!
Now you've got me hankering for some good ol' BBQ (As long as it isn't that yellow sauce crap from eastern NC).

Some of the BEST BBQ I've ever had was in Dallas... Next in line was Huntsville AL...
We have some really good pork bbq all across NC so we can work these into wherever we ride! We just make sure it’s cooked over wood and not artificially flavored with liquid smoke!! I grew up eating Western style NC bbq and am partial to it but there’s some eastern style that’s pretty tasty as well.

More joints are doing bbq chicken these days and I love it. That day I couldn’t decide between the pork and chicken so got both! I actually liked the chicken better.

Like you I’ve had a great experience with a Texas brisket as well. I was driving back to NC from AZ and after being on the road for hours with nowhere to stop in Western Texas a bbq joint appeared out of nowhere. The beef brisket was incredible. I was so full after that meal it made for some tough driving that afternoon!!!
Old 05-31-21, 07:00 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m sure glad I have some pork butt ready for smoking today after reading this. Cool pics but I really dig that P-40.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 06-01-21, 10:33 AM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
When my brother was living in Nashville we ate at a restaurant that was also right beside an airport a perfect location for the French farmhouse during WWII theme, with all types of military equipment inside and outside including planes. With 40's era music playing and the sounds of planes taking off and landing from the Nashville airport, it really made for a great atmosphere, especially at night. 101st Airborne was the name I think.
Warbird collector David Tallichet had numerous franchised WW2-aviation-themed restaurants around the country. Akron/Canton airport had the 356th Fighter Squadron, Cleveland Hopkins had the 100th Bomb Group. While the 356th closed a number of years ago, and the 100th Bomb Group closed just last year due to the economic fiasco caused by Covid lockdowns.
Old 06-02-21, 08:35 AM
Cougrrcj

I've been looking at a Grumman Traveler for sale, and reading up on them, etc... The Grumman Pilots Association was to have a fly-in at the airport there featuring Pik-n-Pig in a couple of weeks. Now that gathering has been cancelled...

Grumman (not the one I'm looking at however...)

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 06-02-21 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 09:01 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
This was the unique BBQ joint we had lunch on our 100 miler a week ago. Not only does it have terrific food it’s right beside an airstrip. Sad. I sure hope they rebuild. The banana pudding alone was worth riding 100 miles for!

https://sandhillssentinel.com/pik-n-...royed-by-fire/

(Photos clipped for brevity)
Sorry to hear about the BBQ place - must have been great banana pudding!! However, reading your narrative and looking at your wonderful photographs is encouraging!
Old 06-12-21, 01:16 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Just reminiscing...A few of us used to drive down to do the Bike Ride Around Georgia (BRAG) and would stop at a roadside BBQ buffet in North Carolina called Duke's. The place had zero ambiance, but had really good food.
Old 06-12-21, 03:29 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by MAK
Just reminiscing...A few of us used to drive down to do the Bike Ride Around Georgia (BRAG) and would stop at a roadside BBQ buffet in North Carolina called Duke's. The place had zero ambiance, but had really good food.
I bet it was not far off I95. Pretty good BBQ!