Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Local junior takes nats IP

Old 07-18-21, 08:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Local junior takes nats IP

disclaimer - I cross posted this in Road Bike Racing and SS/FG. Just gotta share it!

Local phenom Antonio Rossi just won the Junior 17-18 national IP! This makes me feel all sorts of things, but mostly elated, and proud. He also got second in the points and third overall in the ominum.

He is the number one kid that I am scared of at TNR. Most of the time I can make the selection with him, but me and others (incl. local pros, USA crits types) are just getting spanked since he seems to be able to lift the pace or attack at will from a full gas paceline. I've ridden a number of key selections/breaks with him in road bike racing scenarios as well. When I'm going really good (for me), I like to think that he's someone that he can count on to drive a move. Certainly not a threat, so maybe someone he enjoys having around haha

I've watched this kid for about 4 years now and I remember when he was barely hanging on in the A's. Pre-pandemic he was already a little scary, and his dad (also a racer, seen below cheering) would LMK when I had to worry about him or not. He is focused on his schooling and has other activities that he participates in too, and seems to be able to whip himself up into top shape with a few weeks of training.

He's a real talent, and now it confirms my suspicions that he is world-class. Between his cycling and other pursuits (pun intended), I'm quite excited to see what's next for Antonio!

Father Andrea cheering in the foreground
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-18-21, 11:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Nice, I'll be hanging out there tomorrow watching my daughter race the juniors 11-12 as well as the other afternoon races. Some fast kids riding there.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-23-21, 08:42 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
This is awesome.

Now comes the even harder part:
- Navigating young adulthood (if the kid moves out of the house and goes to college or military). This includes managing free time, school, work, having fun, personal relationships…
- Getting the nod and financial support from USAC, which is as much politics as it is performance…if not more so.
Likes For carleton:
Old 07-26-21, 03:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
This is awesome.

Now comes the even harder part:
- Navigating young adulthood (if the kid moves out of the house and goes to college or military). This includes managing free time, school, work, having fun, personal relationships…
- Getting the nod and financial support from USAC, which is as much politics as it is performance…if not more so.
I think it will be interesting and positive whatever comes for him. He's a good kid too, not a brat like some of them (juniors) can be haha.

Also, mini update, he also won gold in the TP and points race! His second above must have been from the omnium points race, I think.
Likes For TMonk: