Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2nd wheelset 2020 Checkpoint alr5

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 08:56 AM
malancro55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm looking for a second wheelset to use only on the road. My factory wheels will be set up for gravel riding. I've put gatorskin 25mm on the factory wheels and was OK with how they ride but am wondering what would be similar spec and performance for a road setup. Where would I need to come in with a factory set of wheels for it to be considered an upgrade?

700c thru axle disc Shimano 11spd.

Last edited by malancro55; 10-09-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 09:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Just scanning the specs on Trek's website it looks like your stock wheels are 28 spoke alloy, tubeless ready and fairly narrow at 17mm wide. I'm surprised Trek would go with such a narrow wheelset on this bike. I'd suggest using this set for road tires, and buying a second set to use with gravel sizes.

Not sure what your price range is, but Shimano GRX wheels might be a good option. They are a bit wider (21mm internal) and would likely be a little lighter than your stock wheels. At just over $400 they are a great deal and would work well for gravel sized tires, and you could use the stock wheelset for road tires. Hunt also has some good options in this price range. There are many choices on wheels so it kind of just depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend. More money will generally get you a lighter wheelset and/or nicer hubs.

You will want to get a second set of brake rotors and a second cassette to make wheel swapping easier. You can use either 6 bolt or centerlock, it doesn't have to match your current type, but the rotors may need to be shimmed to match the current caliper alignment so they don't rub.