Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Got a goofy question for ya

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-16-21, 09:55 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,092 Posts

For a bunch of reasons, I have wound up learning a lot about training and nutrition. I've been vaguely considering starting a Youtube channel, it would be called Fat Man on a Bike.

However, I am not a techy. When my router stopped working because software was fighting other software, I haven't called Spectrum to get it working again, and that was a couple months ago. It made the apps on my phone disappear.

Not interested in making money, doubt many would even watch. I like sharing, but even a brief look tells me I'd have to learn strange new software, and I doubt my cheap cellphone has a good enough camera, so I'd prob have to get a Gopro or something.

I may have just talked myself out of it.
Old 10-16-21, 11:39 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by late
For a bunch of reasons, I have wound up learning a lot about training and nutrition. I've been vaguely considering starting a Youtube channel, it would be called Fat Man on a Bike.

However, I am not a techy. When my router stopped working because software was fighting other software, I haven't called Spectrum to get it working again, and that was a couple months ago. It made the apps on my phone disappear.

Not interested in making money, doubt many would even watch. I like sharing, but even a brief look tells me I'd have to learn strange new software, and I doubt my cheap cellphone has a good enough camera, so I'd prob have to get a Gopro or something.

you're right. It is a goofy question. Not a single question mark can I find.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-16-21, 04:15 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Its ok. We're all allowed to be goofy once/while
Old 10-16-21, 06:40 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Search on the web as I'm pretty sure there was a BBC series called 'Fat Man On A Bicycle' that was shown here in the USA on PBS stations back in the 1980's/1990s. IT focused on a 'big' guy bicycling around different areas of European countries.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-17-21, 01:06 AM
late

Originally Posted by skidder

Search on the web as I'm pretty sure there was a BBC series called 'Fat Man On A Bicycle' that was shown here in the USA on PBS stations back in the 1980's/1990s. IT focused on a 'big' guy bicycling around different areas of European countries.
Yup, I used to watch it. I liked it, but they didn't try very hard to hide the cheating.
Likes For late:
Old 10-17-21, 05:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,313 Times in 2,700 Posts

The first two bolds seem mutually exclusive. Third is the charm.
Old 10-17-21, 05:39 AM
late

Originally Posted by shelbyfv

The first two bolds seem mutually exclusive.
Only if you think with the adipose tissue located in your posterior.
Likes For late:
Old 10-17-21, 12:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
“I’m finally going to start writing my life’s story………tomorrow.”

Change the title to appeal to more than cycling folk. Start cheap. If you enjoy - continue as you please. But to develop a following you must update regularly and inspire. Not a half hearted commitment, but also easily abandoned.
Old 10-17-21, 12:37 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
There was another guy who used to post in here with a similar title for his product on whatever platform he was using. He was from Nevada and he was riding across the country a few days at a time... so he went from Los Angeles to Bakersfield one week, flew back home, flew back to Bakersfield and rode to Vegas a few weeks later... took him almost a year. He got interviewed by radio stations in small towns and such. It was mildly interesting.

Projects like this are a nice way to document important life events, but I think the proper context is to think of them as something you do for yourself, and offer to share with anybody who wants to see. Pretty rare to find anything in them that provides more than just entertainment and motivation.
Old 10-17-21, 10:12 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
. . . . but I think the proper context is to think of them as something you do for yourself . . . . .
Exactly. Any blogs, YouTube channels, and Facebook pages I've started have been primarily for myself. I think it's a form of "thinking out loud" --
Old 10-18-21, 06:46 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
I thought maybe I knew of this BBC series mentioned above, so I looked it up (Fat man on a bicycle) but I must have been thinking of something else. His name was Tom Vernon and he was a BBC journalist that wrote books on his cycling adventures and then created the videos. He did numerous other journalist positions for the broadcast and died in 2013 riding his bike.
Old 10-18-21, 07:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

There was also a USA based "fat guy" on the internet. He was supposedly riding across the US but turned out to be a scammer. He would reel in the sponsors, then always had an excuse for not riding. It's been several years, can't remember his actual moniker.
Old 10-18-21, 09:17 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Old 10-19-21, 12:54 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Jake and the fat man!
Old 10-19-21, 02:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Googled it. The presumed scammer was Eric Hites, "Fat Guy Across America." Apparently he has given up cycling and now weighs in at 700#. https://www.drphil.com/shows/what-ev...cross-america/