Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

GPS questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 08:48 AM
fabiusfarmrider

Bikes: Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GPS questions

Does anyone use a Garmin 64 type GPS for routes & tracking?
I'm looking for suitable mounts that will keep the unit from bouncing
off in the rough stuff.
I like to use this unit for the map overlay capability, routable & topo...
Old 10-20-21, 10:53 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
You should not be posting repeat questions across forums. Maybe leave this one and delete the one in General. It's more appropriate here.
Old 10-22-21, 06:16 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Garmin sells a bike mount for their hand-held GPS units that zip ties to the handlebars. I have used it with a Garmin Oregon (a bit smaller than the 64) on my mountain bike. It works, but putting something that big on your bars is a bit ungainly. I suppose you could also mount it to your stem, or even your top tube (if there are no cables there to interfere).
I also have a Garmin 530 which has perfectly fine mapping and routing capabilities for my gravel and mountain bike riding. I only take the hand-held GPS when I go bushwhacking and need to mark waypoints or have the ability to back-track. In those instances, I just clip the GPS to my backpack strap, or throw it in my jersey pocket, and just pull it out when I need to refer to it. But the bike mount worked fine when I used it.