Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bafang question

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bafang question

Old 10-24-21, 03:25 PM
Cornfield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Bafang question

My wife and I both have pedal assist bikes. Hers is a TerraTrike and I have a Trek Verve +3. Both of them have the Bosch mid drive power unit. I would like to convert an older Trek mountain style Police bike and understand that Bosch doesn’t make a kit.
The only mid drive options that I’ve found are made by Bafang. Do the units operate the same way as Bosch? Do they have multiple levels of power assist that I can control from the handle bar?
The big question: “Will I be as pleased with Bafang as I am with Bosch”?
Old 10-24-21, 07:03 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
There are DIY kits other than Bafang, but I'm extremely happy with BBS02(s). They are preferable to my Haibike mid-drive for many reasons, a few being my wife can use throttle if desired, wiring is external so problems can be elucidated, the BBS isn't hampered by proprietary parts and is more powerful. The kits are user friendly and programmable and have either five or nine levels of assist (may be others, but that's what are on mine). If you're a DIY-type, you should enjoy the kit experience.
Old 10-24-21, 08:49 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
What I enjoy about my BBS02 conversion is the smiles per dollar. About $800 in parts if I were to do it again. It's not as refined a a Trek, but mine is quite, smooth, and powerful, although I rarely ride over 16 mph. For another $120, I could have put on hydraulic disks, but I'm fine with a cable actuated disk calipers.
Old 10-25-21, 04:58 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
There’s also the TSDZ2 that (unlike Bafang) features built in torque sensing, which I assume is how the Bosch operates. But that unit is prone to overheating, its throttle operation leaves a lot to be desired and over all does not seem to be built quite as well as the Bafangs. That said, the Tongshen still has many fans, especially among recumbent riders. I myself have purchased a BBSHD to replace the TSDZ2 OSF model on my ‘bent whose programming sucks donkey balls.
Old 10-25-21, 06:12 AM
Cornfield

Do you need to have disc brakes?
Old 10-25-21, 06:14 AM
furiouschads 

Bikes: Tern GSD, Raleigh Gran Sport, Univega Gran Turismo, Brooklyn Driggs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Grin Technologies.
Old 10-25-21, 06:34 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by furiouschads
Check out Grin Technologies.
Not if you want a mid-drive. But check them out anyway.
Old 10-25-21, 10:00 AM
Doc_Wui

Originally Posted by Cornfield
Only if you ride faster than your rim brakes can stop you.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 10-25-21, 12:16 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
you need to have good brakes for the speed and load. V brakes can work fine.
Old 10-25-21, 12:31 PM
LeeG

My wife and I both have pedal assist bikes. Hers is a TerraTrike and I have a Trek Verve +3. Both of them have the Bosch mid drive power unit. I would like to convert an older Trek mountain style Police bike and understand that Bosch doesn’t make a kit.
The only mid drive options that I’ve found are made by Bafang. Do the units operate the same way as Bosch? Do they have multiple levels of power assist that I can control from the handle bar?
The big question: “Will I be as pleased with Bafang as I am with Bosch”?
I installed a BBSHD a couple months ago and still getting used to it. I’d prefer that it had torque sensing as the cadence sensing feels very crude. It has gobs of power which invites throttle use as it kicks on too hard in power settings above the lowest setting. I’ll start off in the lowest power setting then move it higher when approaching steep hills. This is all off road and trail use. If I start off in a higher power setting and the front tire is at an angle I’m shooting off in that direction. A lot of times I start out pedaling with the brake slightly depressed which cuts the motor and when I’m in a straight line I’ll release the lever and zoom I’m off. Imagine riding to a stop on a dirt road then makimg a tight slow U turn to go back. I can’t do that with assist on. Looks like I’m going to learn how to program it. It’s been a long time since I’ve ridden an ebike before this but what I have now is a motorcycle more than a bicycle. I like it otherwise I couldn’t get around the ridge I live on but it feels crude.
Old 10-25-21, 01:17 PM
Cornfield

Originally Posted by LeeG
I installed a BBSHD a couple months ago and still getting used to it. I’d prefer that it had torque sensing as the cadence sensing feels very crude. It has gobs of power which invites throttle use as it kicks on too hard in power settings above the lowest setting. I’ll start off in the lowest power setting then move it higher when approaching steep hills. This is all off road and trail use. If I start off in a higher power setting and the front tire is at an angle I’m shooting off in that direction. A lot of times I start out pedaling with the brake slightly depressed which cuts the motor and when I’m in a straight line I’ll release the lever and zoom I’m off. Imagine riding to a stop on a dirt road then makimg a tight slow U turn to go back. I can’t do that with assist on. Looks like I’m going to learn how to program it. It’s been a long time since I’ve ridden an ebike before this but what I have now is a motorcycle more than a bicycle. I like it otherwise I couldn’t get around the ridge I live on but it feels crude.
Thats what I’m afraid of. I’m so used to the smoothness of the Bosch unit. I visited a friend that used to work at a bike shop. He thinks my 2001 Trek Police Bike would not be a good bike to electrify.
I’ve also come to realize that at 70+ I don’t have the flexibility to throw my leg over the bike anymore. I may trade in the Verve +3 get a Terra Trike EVO to match my wife’s.
Old 10-25-21, 02:07 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
No, you don't HAVE to have disc brakes but it's certainly a plus. I see folks on here with a DIY eBike and rim brakes, but all of my eBikes have had disc brakes. My first eBike had mechanical disc brakes and my current eBike has hydraulic disc brakes. I much prefer the hydraulic, but the mechanical worked fine as well. Mechanical disc brakes require more adjusting and I seemed to go through brake pads faster with those as well.

You might check and see if your bike can add disc brakes. I had an older Diamond Back "mountain bike" (no suspension or anything very mountain) and I was able to add mechanical disc brakes to it with some frame adapters and new wheels.

I've had rear hub drive ebikes and now a mid-drive Bafang. All of mine have been pedal assist (and throttle, too) and while it does take a little while to get used to it's really fun and easy to ride.

I'm nearly 72 and throwing my leg over the bike, tall seat, rear rack with large bike bag is not a piece of cake but I do it every day. I put one brake on with one hand to keep the bike from rolling and lean the bike way over toward me and swing. It works well, but if you saw how low I lean the bike over you'd see that it can be done.

I've ridden my ebike over 1100 miles since January and should hit between 1300 and 1400 miles before this year is out. Don't give up... go riding.

Last edited by creativepart; 10-25-21 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-25-21, 02:56 PM
LeeG

Thats what I’m afraid of. I’m so used to the smoothness of the Bosch unit. I visited a friend that used to work at a bike shop. He thinks my 2001 Trek Police Bike would not be a good bike to electrify.
I’ve also come to realize that at 70+ I don’t have the flexibility to throw my leg over the bike anymore. I may trade in the Verve +3 get a Terra Trike EVO to match my wife’s.
I’m just a few years behind you and am glad I got the bbshd otherwise I wouldn’t be riding anywhere. It’s simply too hilly here and it helps a lot for doing chores instead of firing up the truck or utv. I have had more than a few comical and slightly dangerous moments under high pedal assist. One time at max setting going up a steep rutted skid trail and I simply couldn’t go slow enough and pedal and pick a line but with throttle control I could pick a line and control speed fine just like a motorcycle but as it flattened out I took my thumb off the throttle which transfered assist control to cadence sensor then I shot off like a rocket into the forest dodging branches and potholes for 30’ before getting things back under control. Another time I was doing fine up a steep section to a hilly lawn area with high boost. Stopped to do something for a moment off the bike and when I picked the bike up I forgot it was near max boost and I guess the pedal moved a bit and the next thing the bike has popped a wheely and I’m holding the left grip with left hand and right hand holding the back of the seat and it I’m spinning 360 as the rear wheel kicked off a half second burst of power.

I can imagine people losing fingers if they’re messing with the chain and chainring and the machine is on and it kicks off.
Old 10-25-21, 03:22 PM
Cornfield

Originally Posted by creativepart
No, you don't HAVE to have disc brakes but it's certainly a plus. I see folks on here with a DIY eBike and rim brakes, but all of my eBikes have had disc brakes. My first eBike had mechanical disc brakes and my current eBike has hydraulic disc brakes. I much prefer the hydraulic, but the mechanical worked fine as well. Mechanical disc brakes require more adjusting and I seemed to go through brake pads faster with those as well.

You might check and see if your bike can add disc brakes. I had an older Diamond Back "mountain bike" (no suspension or anything very mountain) and I was able to add mechanical disc brakes to it with some frame adapters and new wheels.

I've had rear hub drive ebikes and now a mid-drive Bafang. All of mine have been pedal assist (and throttle, too) and while it does take a little while to get used to it's really fun and easy to ride.

I'm nearly 72 and throwing my leg over the bike, tall seat, rear rack with large bike bag is not a piece of cake but I do it every day. I put one brake on with one hand to keep the bike from rolling and lean the bike way over toward me and swing. It works well, but if you saw how low I lean the bike over you'd see that it can be done.

I've ridden my ebike over 1100 miles since January and should hit between 1300 and 1400 miles before this year is out. Don't give up... go riding.

Yes, I've been leaning the bike over to get on and off but I learned the hard way that can be problematic in a quick stop situation. I visited the Trek shop, traded in the Verve for a Terra Trike EVO. This might be a mistake, but if thats the worst mistake I make this week, it won't be too bad.
Old 10-25-21, 03:58 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Sounds like your challenge is resolved. FYI, I've been riding a BBS02 for six+ years off road and enjoy it immensely. I like to pedal (ride MTB three times a week with my wife) and usually use level three (of nine). Seem to get a good workout and the "RPM" assist is more than adequate (actually prefer this bike to my Haibike). Also, had a 35 mph rear hub system with linear brakes front and rear and didn't have braking issues for five years of riding (have shelved the bike since it's too dangerous on the road in socal, IMO).
Old 10-28-21, 09:37 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Not sure if you do this already, but I'd suggest using throttle for starting from stop, and for all low speed maneuvering. Get up some speed before starting to peddle so the crude peddle assist isn't jarring when it kicks in. It can be dangerous when you start peddling and motor kicks in. I found that out the first time I approached an intersection on my Bafang rear hub drive kit bike. I was coasting to a stop on slight uphill, and gave it one last half peddle to get to my desired stopping point. The peddle assist kicked in and would have thrust me into traffic had I not grabbed the brake, which cut motor power instantly.
Old 10-28-21, 11:19 AM
Doc_Wui

At age 73, I can still put the left pedal up, step on it and swing over for a smooth start as he bike takes off. Then I turn on pedal assist. The issue is I cannot do that in reverse to get off, I tried to dismount next to a pier a year ago, and got my right foot hung up on the luggage rack, So I'm hopping up and down on my left leg, getting closer and closer to the water. Whew, I untangled myself before I fell in.
Old 10-28-21, 12:59 PM
LeeG

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Not sure if you do this already, but I'd suggest using throttle for starting from stop, and for all low speed maneuvering. Get up some speed before starting to peddle so the crude peddle assist isn't jarring when it kicks in. It can be dangerous when you start peddling and motor kicks in. I found that out the first time I approached an intersection on my Bafang rear hub drive kit bike. I was coasting to a stop on slight uphill, and gave it one last half peddle to get to my desired stopping point. The peddle assist kicked in and would have thrust me into traffic had I not grabbed the brake, which cut motor power instantly.
Yep I am doing that now but the cadence sensing really is odd. I can soft pedal at low rpm and it’s at full boost for that setting. If I spin up to where I’m putting some torque into the wheel the motor feels maxed out at that speed although it is doing 90% of the effort. So there really isn’t much motivation to apply effort to move the bike. That’s what I mean about it feeling like a motorcycle. I supposef if I had flat long sections I could match my effort and the bike better but it’s pretty much up and down10%+ grades here.
Old 10-28-21, 01:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
what you wont get is the smoothness you get with bosch and the efficiency too You get a lot of range out of a bosch battery and the batteries are some of the longest lasting out there. but your going to pay the price for it. I don't like the looks of the add on motors and I love the bosch reliability. I will have 12,000 miles on my commuter next moth after only 2 years. It does come at a price but for me I like the natural feel and the reliability.