Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Ultraracing Forum

Old 01-03-15, 08:54 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Ultraracing Forum

Would sure be nice if we had a forum dedicated to long distance racing and record attempts.
Old 01-03-15, 12:54 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I do believe what you seek would be found in Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling .
Old 01-03-15, 01:17 PM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I should have been more specific- It would be nice if we had a forum dedicated to long distance racing and record attempts *added* to the "Racers Forums".
Old 01-06-15, 08:51 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I can kinda see both sides... it's nice when the amateur and racing sides of a particular discipline have dedicated forums so that you don't have as many squabbles about the merits of the other group , but the randonneuring/ultracycling forum doesn't have all that much traffic or squabbling, really. Randonneurs are often curious about what goes on in RAAM, and competitive ultracyclists generally have a respect and fondness for PBP and other amateur events. (If they don't just do everything, like Lon Haldeman. )
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-07-15, 08:56 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I can kinda see both sides... it's nice when the amateur and racing sides of a particular discipline have dedicated forums so that you don't have as many squabbles about the merits of the other group , but the randonneuring/ultracycling forum doesn't have all that much traffic or squabbling, really. Randonneurs are often curious about what goes on in RAAM, and competitive ultracyclists generally have a respect and fondness for PBP and other amateur events. (If they don't just do everything, like Lon Haldeman. )
And this is why I keep the two together and on the main index rather than specialized subforums, because both are extremely low percentage of cyclists embracing the disciplines and I'm trying to cross pollinate and stir interest in both aspects as well as attracting the "curious but never tried them out" yet crowd. I'm hoping to build interest in ultra and rando with a growing population of enthusiasts that grows over time. As it stands now, both only attract about <1% of the overall cycling population with RAAM attracting 1% of the 1% of the 1%.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-09-15, 07:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
+1

That long distance forum isn't just for randonneurs ... it's for any long distance cycling: centuries, double centuries, randonneuring, 24-hour races, other long distance races, RAAM, mileage challenges ...

And several/many of us do a variety of long distance things. We might ride a century a month, plus several randonnees, and then cap the season off with a 24-hour race or RAAM ... and, "oh, look at that", we've participated in some mileage challenges getting it all done.

If there are other long distance races besides the 24-hour races and RAAM, I'd love to hear about them in the long distance forum.

Maybe the description beneath the title needs to be expanded just slightly, from:
"Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials?"
to ...
"Do you ride centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, 24-hour time trials, the RAAM and other long distance rides and races? Do you participate in mileage and other long distance challenges?"

Personally, because the traffic there is so low, I'd even like to adjust the second line of the description to say ...

"Whether you are riding your first metric century or the RAAM, share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling."

... to start including the metric century people, especially those using the metric century as a step toward longer distances or as a base-training distance.
Old 01-09-15, 07:40 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
In the regular Road forum, I never noticed much interest in long distance riding, period, so I'd be kind of surprised if a LD racing forum in that category generated much traffic either.