Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you wave at eBike riders?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you wave, nod, or acknowledge passing eBike riders?
Yes.
29.63%
No.
41.98%
Sometimes. I wave as the fancy takes me.
18.52%
Only if I'm on an eBike too.
1.23%
Other.
8.64%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wave at eBike riders?

Old 05-05-23, 01:55 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 273 Posts
When on the bike, I generally wave at everyone I encounter(who isn't in a car.) I'm in a fairly rural area, so it's not so much a bike thing, just a small-town courtesy thing.

On the motorcycle, it depends. I'm riding a Japanese naked sport bike, so most of the Harley guys are too cool to return a wave...so I don't initiate the wave with them anymore. I'll return it though.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-05-23, 02:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
If they're peddling something, I'm usually not in a buying mood. Maybe, maybe not.
Old 05-05-23, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Can one waive waving at wavers? I want a waving waiver.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-05-23, 03:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Can one waive waving at wavers? I want a waving waiver.
Don't you wave your waving waiver at me, mister.
Old 05-05-23, 03:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Good job OP ...it's been a long while since we last had a waving thread. We really needed another debate on what constitutes a proper cycling etiquette, mission accomplished
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-05-23, 04:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I think he was really hoping for an ebike vs real bike thread....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-05-23, 04:34 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
I do my best to keep my finger hidden as I ride past ebikes. I admit it twitches a little bit getting ready to be displayed since I hate ebikers so much but I try to resist.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 05-05-23, 04:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think he was really hoping for an ebike vs real acoustic bike thread....
Fixed.
Old 05-05-23, 04:52 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
And I've mostly owned fun cars (Miata, Jeep, S2000, Element) where owners share their love of their rigs with a friendly wave. Costs nothing and puts a smile on my face.
This has been one of my favorite things about driving old volkswagens through the years. A couple of decades ago when older air-cooled vw's were more common I lost track of the number of times I stopped for others who were broken down, and had others stop for me. Community is a beautiful thing.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 05-05-23, 05:18 PM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's the least you could do for those poor souls.
There are very few of them, so I don't have to do a lot of waving.
Likes For DaleDee:
Old 05-05-23, 05:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
then you have the opposite side.

Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...st-read.52306/
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-05-23, 05:25 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've usually got my hands full trying to swerve out of the way of their bike, or their dog.
Old 05-05-23, 05:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
When riding my road e-bike I don't wave at road cyclists because they are such snobs.

When riding one of my (many) 1/2 bikes or the tandem I don't wave at e-bikes because they know we are snobs, so what's the point?

As a pedestrian, I wave big at every cyclist so those snobs won't run me over.
Old 05-05-23, 08:25 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Motorcyclists ride because they love how it feels and despite being told at every party that someone's cousin's nephew's friend's father got into a bad wreck and now can't make their own lemonade. And we all know someone that has been seriously injured or killed in an accident. So we wave at each other as a sign of camaraderie in our small community of riders..
I like the feeling of driving my stick-shift Camry, and I know lots of people who have died in automobile crashes, but I could still give two-hoots about waving at other automobile drivers no matter if they are driving the same car I am or not.

I grew up with motorcycles and rode them for years, that is how I know they wave at each other because they always wave at me when I ride my motorcycle, but again, that is their problem they are so desperate or insecure they have to bother strangers because they are using the same transportation. Motorcycling was ruined for me beginning in the 1980s when Harley Davidson went full Wall-Street and turned motorcycling into a fashion-trend and accessory. If anyone got into motorcycling after about 1983 I have zero use for them, especially if they ride Harleys or Harley clones, no thanks.

Today I was riding my bicycle over a street, keeping off to the right side going with traffic, and an E-biker came up the street going the wrong way on my side against traffic, and they were going Fast, and for a moment there was a danger of a collision with this...........person. And I have had other close-calls with them pulling similar stunts, going the wrong way or cutting around me getting quite close at high-speeds. If one of them ever hits me they better hope I am dead because an bruises I get I will be glad to return to them.

E-bikes are fashionable, trendy consumer goods that are lacking in much -needed regulation, and I have not seen anyone on one of them that impresses me in the least, quite the opposite in fact, it seems like the dregs of humanity gravitate towards them as they do to anything fashionable or trendy.
Likes For beng1:
Old 05-05-23, 08:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I like the feeling of driving my stick-shift Camry, and I know lots of people who have died in automobile crashes, but I could still give two-hoots about waving at other automobile drivers no matter if they are driving the same car I am or not.

I grew up with motorcycles and rode them for years, that is how I know they wave at each other because they always wave at me when I ride my motorcycle, but again, that is their problem they are so desperate or insecure they have to bother strangers because they are using the same transportation. Motorcycling was ruined for me beginning in the 1980s when Harley Davidson went full Wall-Street and turned motorcycling into a fashion-trend and accessory. If anyone got into motorcycling after about 1983 I have zero use for them, especially if they ride Harleys or Harley clones, no thanks.

Today I was riding my bicycle over a street, keeping off to the right side going with traffic, and an E-biker came up the street going the wrong way on my side against traffic, and they were going Fast, and for a moment there was a danger of a collision with this...........person. And I have had other close-calls with them pulling similar stunts, going the wrong way or cutting around me getting quite close at high-speeds. If one of them ever hits me they better hope I am dead because an bruises I get I will be glad to return to them.

E-bikes are fashionable, trendy consumer goods that are lacking in much -needed regulation, and I have not seen anyone on one of them that impresses me in the least, quite the opposite in fact, it seems like the dregs of humanity gravitate towards them as they do to anything fashionable or trendy.

Being so superior to everyone else must be such a burden. I'm sure everyone is waiting with bated breath to find out if you have any use for them.

You sure are eager to judge the worth of people by the quality of their material possessions.
So is there a Keyboard Warrior Union Hall near you?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-05-23, 09:11 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
I only wave at over-50 riders as young people have become invisible to me.
And we are invisible to them.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-05-23, 09:15 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I don't wave to anybody because there are too many people riding bikes around here. They don't wave either so I guess it's just not done here.
Old 05-05-23, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier65
I assume that most cyclists do say hello, wave, or nod to other passing cyclists, but not to motorcycle or moped riders.

The conundrum is, should one do so to eBike riders?

Are they in the pedal-cycle class, or the moped, or motorised pedal-cycle class?

Or should it be nothing to do with class, but whether they're passing slowly enough that a mutual friendly acknowledgement is possible?
Please define your question because the initial post says eBike riders but then you mention motorcycles and mopeds which are not e-bikes at all. An e-bike is a bike that you must pedal to move forward but can give you an electrical assist as you pedal and only as you pedal.

In terms of waving I generally will acknowledge a cyclist with a friendly gesture of some sort. It doesn't hurt to be nice. However if you don't want to, you don't have to, just don't be a jerk.

In terms of the idiots whining and moaning about electric mopeds being called bicycles usually by them and more importantly those humans on top of them. Blame the humans not the mode of transport in those cases. Yes I don't like the electric mopeds and I don't like them being classified as bicycles but it is the humans on top you have the issue with. I have had plenty of people on non-electric bicycles riding down the wrong way on clearly marked bike lanes and plenty of people riding non-electric bicycles using a MUP as a training ground and yada yada yada that I know it is the individual not what they are riding necessarily.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-05-23, 09:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,425 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
then you have the opposite side.

Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...st-read.52306/
Have to agree with many points. Mountain biking is a blast. It is challenging using constant skill building, facing and conquering fear, going over, through things not possible on a road bike. There is a real camaraderie amongst mountain bikers with no snob factor. It’s as different as cross country skiing tracks and running moguls. If my back could still handle it, my road bike would have cobwebs.

Old 05-05-23, 11:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by DaleDee
I like to wave at people who are uglier than me. It makes me feel good.
So you don’t wave at all?
Old 05-06-23, 06:34 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1

You have an amazing ability to discern other people's thoughts, feelings, and motivations from across the street. How do you do it, just look at them? Or does it require some kind of incantation?
Old 05-06-23, 06:40 AM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
So you don’t wave at all?
With the exception of people on ebikes. They're all ugly.
Old 05-06-23, 07:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
If I'm in a rural area, I wave at everything. It's the custom. In the urban areas, it's something more elaborate like the fist pound on the heart followed by the peace sign. I might even stop and do a quick snake or caterpillar dance. My average speed goes to hell when that happens.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-06-23, 07:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by DaleDee
With the exception of people on ebikes. They're all ugly.
And hirsute…
Old 05-06-23, 07:15 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by seypat
If I'm in a rural area, I wave at everything. It's the custom. In the urban areas, it's something more elaborate like the fist pound on the heart followed by the peace sign. I might even stop and do a quick snake or caterpillar dance. My average speed goes to hell when that happens.
In some areas the heart fist pump and peace sign could get you killed…just saying!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.