Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Overindulgence in biking is wearing me out

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 07:07 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

I’m in my late 50’s. I was a runner until a year ago. Then I saw everyone getting knee implants and I needed a metal shoulder implant. That’s when I became a biker. I’m addicted to biking now and ride everyday. I love the feeling of the bike being a part of your body and just flying along so quietly.

Unfortunately lately I am always feeling worn out. My wife said I might be overdoing it so put a GPS Timer app on my phone and it showed the last few days I was averaging everyday 17 miles in less than an hour and with 1000’ elevation gain( and drop)over trails and country roads

I am not an egomaniac. I am 59 and don’t really care how fast I go. I want to be around for a while... and not @“”&&@ ... am I overdoing it? I would like to compare notes with others in my age group. I am using a 30 pound mountain bike with. 2 “ tires.
Old 08-15-20, 07:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Your body needs time to recover.

I'm riding more this year than others... almost 2x more. I have to remember not to ride more than 3 days in a row and have at least 2 days off a week. I find myself looking at the weather forecasts to plan my off days.

If you push too much and don't rest your body... your body will breakdown and recovery will be longer.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-15-20, 07:35 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
... am I overdoing it? .... I am using a 30 pound mountain bike with. 2 “ tires.
If you're feeling fatigued, you should take a day off, but you're not necessarily overdoing it. You may just need to build up. Like you, I used to be a runner, and kept at it even though I had increasingly frequent knee injuries and constant knee pain. So I bought a bike about 2 1/2 years ago, gave up running, and have been riding consistently since. My knee pain has gone away (even though x-rays show I have advanced arthritis in my knees). The bike seems to be doing my knees some good.

I'm riding 15-20 miles a day, every day at about a 16mph pace, so by my experience, you can ride that much if you're in shape for it. My bike is a carbon frame gravel bike with 700x38c tires (Specialized Diverge) which is going to be easier to ride than a mountain bike. I'm 70 years old, so I have a few years on you. I'm not sure how much that offsets the advantage my bike gives me.

You can ride that much at your age (or at my age!), so in that sense you're not overdoing it. But if you're fatigued, that is a sign you should take some days off and build up to longer and more frequent rides. Isn't that what you did when you were running?
Old 08-15-20, 07:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I’m hiking and lifting some weights due to bike burnout. Happens over the years of cycling. But I know soon the bike will feel new again. No worries just take a few days off and as already posted let yourself recovery. I’m the worse when it comes to over doing it You will be OK.
Old 08-15-20, 08:09 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Random11
I'm 70 years old, so I have a few years on you. I'm not sure how much that offsets the advantage my bike gives me.

You can ride that much at your age (or at my age!),
Everyone ages differently.... I've seen some 70 year olders who seem to be in their 40's and some who have really slowed ...I will say that being 59 is much more stressful than 49...you are working along kids in their 30's..you have kids in school.. Bills to pay... its the final stretch before .. I remember my blood pressure was 145 / 95 last year...after 130 days of biking daily it was 111/ 64 yesterday at my physical... very tired worn out ..but RELAXED..

Last edited by 5 mph; 08-15-20 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 08:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Rest days. I take 3 rest days per week. I do 13-15 hours per week on the bike, a lot of it at high (for me) intensity. I'm 66 and 200 pounds.
Old 08-15-20, 10:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If you find you are going slower rather than faster, you're overdoing it. Otherwise, you're not. My guess is that if you keep at it like this, you will find you're going slower after a while. Which is not a reason to ease off now.
Old 08-15-20, 10:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Sounds like you already have your answer from the physical.

6 days X 17 mi/day = 102 miles per week. Switch to a road bike, 700c wheels, quality 28mm tires at a relatively high pressure and it's a good aerobic regimen unless something specific begins to hurt or:

1. It's boring
2. You are too frequently exhausted.
3. Elevated resting heart rate just before getting out of bed.

Otherwise, the old man approves.

Roll On!
Old 08-15-20, 10:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
To make those 17 miles less boring....

....you just need more bikes to mix it up.

Old 08-16-20, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try an HRV app, like Wattson Blue or HRV Elite. I use 'em as guidelines for my fitness routines. I'd guesstimate the readings are about a 90% match for how I actually felt and performed that day. There's a bunch of stuff to read online about HRV -- heart rate variability -- so I won't try to summarize it here.

And I don't try to compare myself to others. I have a bunch of health issues and injuries, so I'll never be at the upper range even of my own age group. I'm surprised I do as well as I do on good days. That's enough.
Old 08-16-20, 02:25 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sounds like you already have your answer from the physical.

6 days X 17 mi/day = 102 miles per week. Switch to a road bike, 700c wheels, quality 28mm tires at a relatively high pressure and it's a good aerobic regimen unless something specific begins to hurt or:

1. It's boring
2. You are too frequently exhausted.
3. Elevated resting heart rate just before getting out of bed.

Otherwise, the old man approves.

Roll On!
Its never boring. I tried power walking for 8 months. That was terrible! I dont like walking...
Old 08-16-20, 02:29 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by canklecat

And I don't try to compare myself to others. I have a bunch of health issues and injuries, so I'll never be at the upper range even of my own age group. I'm surprised I do as well as I do on good days. That's enough.
I think that's a smart thing and shows good judgment and that's where I want to be. At 59 I've pushed myself a lot....I want to be around active for a while..not on the couch napping..
Old 08-16-20, 03:36 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
E road bike on "off days" and regular road bike the other days. I'm currently shopping them now so I don't miss any good riding days and I'm not worn out.
Old 08-16-20, 05:19 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Some good advice and examples given on how we are all different and unique. r.e. - quote by Dr. George Sheehan a renown cardiologist and Record Holder runner >>>

​“We are each an experiment of one.
A unique, never-to-be repeated event.”

interesting bio -- https://www.georgesheehan.com/bio

Originally Posted by 5 mph
I’m in my late 50’s. I was a runner until a year ago................. I am 59 and don’t really care how fast I go. I want to be around for a while... and not @“”&&@ ... am I overdoing it? I would like to compare notes with others in my age group. I am using a 30 pound mountain bike with. 2 “ tires.
72yo friend rode 100 mile+/day for 100 days @ 18mph+ just 3 years ago and totaled 24,000+ miles for the year here in flat but hot-humid-windy SW FL.

Keep the smiles with the increasing miles and you can't go wrong.
Old 08-16-20, 05:36 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
59 years old
average over 17 mph
on trails
1,000 ft of climbing
on a mountain bike

Dude, you're approaching world class performance levels. Maybe take it down a notch, but before you do, look into "over training". It's a real physiological condition and if you descend into it, recovery takes a lot longer than a few days.
Old 08-16-20, 07:05 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Like the OP I am 59 and a runner all my life last 42 years. I have always done some cycling but in the last 12 years gotten much more into cycling. Good thing because I developed runners dystonia and I cannot run very good or at least fast. This not a pain or usual injury it is neurological and brain won't turn on running. I still do run-walk about 10-30 miles a week at times but been riding now 250-300 mile weeks. Just came in for a 56 mile ride. On the bike I have no issues can ride like a madman.

As runner you probably are aware of overtraining, On the bike I think it is much trickier because fatigue is different than runner. Runner generally will be fatigue but also some pain in joints or back, ect... The fatigue in cycling is a build up since you do in longer but it is not as intense as running. My heart rate never as I high cycling as running. I find on the bike you can kind of just get on a go through the tiredness but running if really tired we just stop in our tracks. Many times injury set in before this.

For the bike my suggestion is to go by feel and if tired take a day for sure. Fresh legs will bring increase speed just like running less to get ready for race. Another aspect is depending out your lifestyle it may or may not matter. I am retired to I don't have to directly work. I can end a ride and take a nap or just zone out. Working will not allow that.

My other suggestion is to get a real road bike that is light and nimble. Based on your past and current commitment I would not be worried about spending money for a good road bike. That will change everything..........
Old 08-16-20, 08:00 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
You could also start using Strava with the Elevate plugin for your web browser.
This will allow you to upload your rides and track your "fitness" and "freshness" - it will clearly indicate when you are in "overload" condition, and can help you manage your efforts better.
Strava's power readings are not super accurate, but using these tools can be very helpful to understand why your body feels the way it does.
Old 08-16-20, 08:26 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I've been riding all my life and you're blowing me out of the water. I just ride to ride. Most days I'm around 14 mph. Some days I only do 11. I've only hit 16 as a full ride average once. I get a gold star every physical. I believe it's consistency as much as effort. I ride at a frequency/intensity that keeps me in the game. Typically that's 3 to 4, 1 to 1.5 hr rides a week DST. Weekends only plus strength training not DST.

Last edited by gear64; 08-16-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-16-20, 08:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I have stated before, at 81, I find that riding every other day prevents what you are saying.
Old 08-16-20, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'm not certain I understand how long and hard you are riding per week. If you are riding for more than an hour and a half at a time at a high effort, then both heat and hydration can be a factor. And what you hydrate with and what you do after the ride can play a part too.

If you are riding that mountain bike mainly on paved roads, then you need to get a bike for the intended use. You might be just using all your energy trying to keep that high average speed and not getting good cardio workout because you aren't riding as long. Short rides at max HR aren't as good as longer rides at a high HR.

There is also the issue of sometimes it takes a while to get used to something.
Old 08-16-20, 09:07 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
As I have stated before, at 81, I find that riding every other day prevents what you are saying.
Good for you and excellent strategy. I'm 15 years younger than you and I find that if I ride hard, I need at 2 days between rides to avoid a performance drop.
Old 08-16-20, 09:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I'm 74 as of this past June. I ride with my club on Saturdays....at least until COVID came to town. In the past 15 yrs I've always ridden about 50 miles with the club and maybe 2 more weekday rides for a total of 100 mi./wk This year, thanks to COVID, I am not riding with the club. I've also been riding more days a week but shorter distances. My rides an be 10-35 miles depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. Usually, I'm riding a lot of HIIT and also concentrating on making efforts on climbs. As a result I'm on the bike about 5 days a week for 70 miles, or thereabouts. I, too, check the weather and schedule rest days for bad weather. The result is that I am considerably faster, climbing better than ever and enjoying rides more than before. I'm also 10 lbs lighter than usual. Best of all everything on the bike feels unstressed and I find myself wanting to ride more. Most importantly, rest days are critical. If you don't take them you run the risk of burn out and/or injury.
Old 08-16-20, 09:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm not certain I understand how long and hard you are riding per week. If you are riding for more than an hour and a half at a time at a high effort, then both heat and hydration can be a factor. And what you hydrate with and what you do after the ride can play a part too.

If you are riding that mountain bike mainly on paved roads, then you need to get a bike for the intended use. You might be just using all your energy trying to keep that high average speed and not getting good cardio workout because you aren't riding as long. Short rides at max HR aren't as good as longer rides at a high HR.

There is also the issue of sometimes it takes a while to get used to something.
I found this interesting.....https://www.verywellfit.com/is-hiit-...better-4126506
Old 08-16-20, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I don't disagree with the article. Notice I was comparing max HR and High HR. Both are in the realm of HIIT.
Old 08-16-20, 11:56 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I overdid it yesterday; started an openended bike ride; option to turn around at any point, but felt good, so kept going. When I hit the ocean at Bristol, RI (Independence park), still felt good. Less than halfway home, thighs started to hurt. Slowed way done, had energy bars, alternated plain water, and water with electrolyte tabs.

Each journey IS different. I am taking today and tomorrow off, more due to work schedule, and I need to study up on strategies for longer rides. This was only my third 50+ ride in my life, and all three have been in the last 6 weeks. Tacked on a home neighborhood, very flat, very slow, 2 mile loop just so I could say I made both a 'metric century' and a 'ride your age+1'.

Over did it? Yes. Pleased with myself? Also yes. Learned my lesson? To be determined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.