Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Converting a road bike - have chain-to-chainring questions

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 08:46 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

I seem to have a habit. Every time I buy a new bike, the previous newest bike gets rebuilt as a 1x or single speed. I'm doing that again.

This bike needs some love. The shifters are shot (internals), it's due for a cassette and chain. The bar tape is showing its age. You see where this is going. It's a perfect candidate for a single speed build! I'll play with cogs to get the chain length right since there's no way to adjust the wheelbase - and I don't want to run a tensioner.

I going to be using a SRAM 1x road crank with the narrow/wide chainring (because I have one not being used). The plan is to ditch the cassette and use a single splined 15t or 16t cog (with all the needed spacers).

So the question:
Most of these cogs are 3/32" wide. There was a change in chains after 8-speed. But as I understand it, the internal with of an 8-speed chain and 11-speed chain is the same or virtually the same - 3/32" vs 11/128". This makes me thing an 8-speed chain will work on that SRAM narrow/wide chainring that was meant to be used with an 11-speed chain.

EDIT: Had a chance to mock this up - and answer my own question. An 8-speed chain on an 11-speed narrow/wide SRAM chainring will work.

The patient:

Last edited by Zaskar; 04-06-23 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-06-23, 06:28 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Converting bikes is a sickness I once suffered from. I began to search Craigslist, looking for my next patient to convert to 1X, so I feel your pain. I eventually got over it, not due to a change in desire so much as a lack of space!
Likes For TugaDude: