Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This "Ride Your Age!" crap is for the birds

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-27-21, 08:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
One of my riding friends turns 65 this Tuesday. She's a regular on our Tuesday rides so we'll see what she has cooked up. Last Tuesday we did 60 miles with 3K feet of climbing so she'll probably want to do more than that.
Old 01-05-22, 05:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
It was slow and a day late. Pretty nice riding weather for January. Three inches of snow predicted for tomorrow.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-06-22, 08:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It was slow and a day late. Pretty nice riding weather for January. Three inches of snow predicted for tomorrow.

Well done, sir! Those horse farms look pretty.
Old 01-06-22, 08:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Thanks! We are blessed with near perfect road cycling conditions. Miles and miles of low traffic roads. Valleys with creeks and small rivers separated by ridges with enough climbing to add interest. The farmers' heirs are selling out but it should remain nice through the few cycling years I have left.
Old 01-06-22, 12:48 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts

Tweet Tweet!

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-21-22, 06:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

My younger friend wanted company. No more "age" rides for me until Spring.

Old 01-24-22, 06:41 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I am set on riding my age in miles for a Birthday ride, but I have done so with modifications. Since it is my birthday, I get to do what I want. November birthday and it can be downright cold on the exact birth date, but there is usually a day close that will work. Wind can be a problem around here, so my route is one way, with the wind. My wife drives to meet me at the end, which is close to a winery and B&B/hotel (by design). And Happy Birthday to me! To me, the birthday ride is a mark of time. Even with health concerns, I rode 5 centuries last year, so the modified BDR is not a cheat in those terms. There will possibly come a day where I will need to ride my age in true miles to keep the spirit of the ride intact. For now, I am content with it as is.
Likes For gif4445:
Old 01-24-22, 01:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,428 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
I am set on riding my age in miles for a Birthday ride, but I have done so with modifications. Since it is my birthday, I get to do what I want. November birthday and it can be downright cold on the exact birth date, but there is usually a day close that will work. Wind can be a problem around here, so my route is one way, with the wind. My wife drives to meet me at the end, which is close to a winery and B&B/hotel (by design). And Happy Birthday to me! To me, the birthday ride is a mark of time. Even with health concerns, I rode 5 centuries last year, so the modified BDR is not a cheat in those terms. There will possibly come a day where I will need to ride my age in true miles to keep the spirit of the ride intact. For now, I am content with it as is.
Riding with the wind? Is that allowed by state law? Seems illegal.

Old 01-24-22, 08:43 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I decided to take the Ride Your Age challenge this past summer. Apparently, I am seventeen years old.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 01-25-22, 03:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Correct for those birds of any age who just like to ride; but not so for those birds obsessed with numbers, stats and metrics.
Old 01-25-22, 04:55 PM
big john

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Correct for those birds of any age who just like to ride; but not so for those birds obsessed with numbers, stats and metrics.
I am definitely not obsessed with numbers, stats, or metrics but I like to do an epic ride for my birthday each year. I don't have a computer on my bike or keep records but there are a lot of routes I know and I know the mileage and elevation from doing those routes for years with friends.

I'll be 68 in a few months and so far doing 68 miles is no big deal so I want to make it harder and more memorable by adding a bunch of climbing. Last year I did a ride of 70ish miles with 7300 feet of climbing. I might do the same one again.

It's not as difficult as some of the rides people post on here, but it's rewarding and I feel good that I can still do that kind of ride. It's been a couple years since I last did a century and I don't know if I want to do one again but being a not super athletic, slightly overweight, older rider with physical issues I am happy to be able to crank out a tough ride.
Old 01-28-22, 10:12 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I will never ride my age because my health won't allow it.

But I would abso******glutely drive myself out of mn to live and ride somewhere else.
Old 01-30-22, 06:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Maybe ride one’s mental age.

I’m 60 and did 64 miles. But if I act like a teenager riding a bike then I should ride 15 miles.
If people rode their emotional age, most would be doing 5 miles.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-31-22, 03:07 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Back in the late 80's and 90's I wasn't obsessed with numbers either and trained according to how I felt. Training and racing again in my 50's I've learnt that the Science behind the numbers my power meter and HR monitor are providing is sound and I really do improve my performance chasing stats and metrics tailored to me specifically lowering risk of injury and overtraining and making me stronger, faster. But admittedly, this is for racing, not just going for a ride, two very different goals.

Riding my age is something I do almost daily if talking miles and in my language, metric, well, that's often double but I'm still a relatively young 52 and covered 21500km last year and I live in a hilly part of the World.. When I'm in my 70's I hope I'll be riding my age still occasionally.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 01-31-22, 08:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Back in the late 80's and 90's I wasn't obsessed with numbers either and trained according to how I felt. Training and racing again in my 50's I've learnt that the Science behind the numbers my power meter and HR monitor are providing is sound and I really do improve my performance chasing stats and metrics tailored to me specifically lowering risk of injury and overtraining and making me stronger, faster. But admittedly, this is for racing, not just going for a ride, two very different goals.
Perceptive observations about setting goals and that not every ride is for the purpose of "training", that seem to escape some cyclists who seem compulsive about setting and achieving arbitrary "goals", and gathering, recording and in some cases reporting data about every minute spent on a bicycle no matter the purpose of the ride.

Sometimes it is positive and fun to just go for a ride with no objective at all other than to just go for a ride, no matter what or when a birthday rolls around.
Old 02-03-22, 03:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Perceptive observations about setting goals and that not every ride is for the purpose of "training", that seem to escape some cyclists who seem compulsive about setting and achieving arbitrary "goals", and gathering, recording and in some cases reporting data about every minute spent on a bicycle no matter the purpose of the ride.

Sometimes it is positive and fun to just go for a ride with no objective at all other than to just go for a ride, no matter what or when a birthday rolls around.
and then there's my FUN ride yesterday>>>

2:22 AM on Wednesday, February 2, 2022 Charlotte County, Florida

2day's, 2/2/22, @ 2:22AM, a Déjà vu 22.22 miler

NOT anal, just STRAVA Psycho Johnny

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 02-03-22 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-03-22, 11:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,428 Times in 2,826 Posts
Non-US residents riding metric probably think we are such a bunch of wimps. Maybe after age 60 we should all go metric and if you want to do it in miles then you are a true metric hero,

Old 02-04-22, 02:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
and then there's my FUN ride yesterday>>>

2:22 AM on Wednesday, February 2, 2022 Charlotte County, Florida

2day's, 2/2/22, @ 2:22AM, a Déjà vu 22.22 miler

NOT anal, just STRAVA Psycho Johnny
No pictures of the device documenting this event in electrons?

Even so, well done having fun on your ride!
Old 02-05-22, 03:53 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
No pictures of the device documenting this event in electrons?

Even so, well done having fun on your ride!
https://www.strava.com/activities/6619196233

I messed up the day before by leaving 4 minutes 2 early at 2:18AM >>> https://www.strava.com/activities/6613727462
Old 02-05-22, 09:34 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I'll be 58 in a few weeks. Normally, I would have prepped for an epic climbing ride somewhere in the range of 80 miles and 8K of ascent.
However, this year I have had some moderate health and house damage/repair issues that have derailed my usual cycling days.

Now, 58 miles seems like a far bigger challenge to me.
Old 02-05-22, 09:48 AM
big john

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I'll be 58 in a few weeks. Normally, I would have prepped for an epic climbing ride somewhere in the range of 80 miles and 8K of ascent.
However, this year I have had some moderate health and house damage/repair issues that have derailed my usual cycling days.

Now, 58 miles seems like a far bigger challenge to me.
Jou can doo eet! Just take it easy and enjoy. With all my bluster about how I could knock out my age easily (68) I did 62 last Saturday at a nice pace without a ton of climbing and it kicked my ass pretty good. Maybe I need to rethink my big climbing ride for the next birthday. Naahhh.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-06-22, 04:26 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I had more trouble the first time, age around 6, than last year (61).
Old 02-07-22, 01:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, I didn't do the ride my age thing in November when I turned 64. Been battling an upper respiratory inflammation for months, and between the fatigue and vertigo I haven't ridden a bike since October.

Ditto the above -- the ride minus our age from 100 makes better sense for many of us. Even in my best shape a full century was painful due to an old neck injury that's worsened with age. So I was usually satisfied to do 50-75 miles on good days when I felt like a longer ride. I've done only a couple of full centuries the past several years and can't say I enjoyed either time. Finishing the final 10-20 miles with excruciating neck pain sucks all the joy out of cycling.

My only mileage related goal in 2021 was to run a half-marathon. Didn't make that goal due to the respiratory bug. But I did 10 miles one day in May, and 7-8 miles several times, mostly on weekends. I'm satisfied with that, considering that 10-20 years ago I thought I'd never be able to run again at all.