Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

The most under rated thing about bents and trikes

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 06-23-22, 10:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

Even the most hard core DF rider has to admit the # 1 thing about bents and trikes are comfort. But there is a second thing that I feel is underrated. And that is the view. We set some what reclined, and when your head is turned from left to right, you must have a 240 degree view. Also you can look straight up with no strain. For us that ride to see the world, a bent or a trike has no equal. More and more cross country riders are now riding bents and trikes, for this reason.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-23-22, 10:26 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It depends on what your DF setup is or was. I see a LOT of folks now with much more upright riding setups, and these are folks who also are more interested in comfort and views, especially touring. Roadies with their hunched over position aren't really out to enjoy the view, lol, they're looking for speed. To me, as a newbie recumbent trike rider, the most unexpected thing that I appreciate so very much is that I always have a seat wherever I go!!! Nothing beats biking to the ocean on a hot day and pulling out a book and reading while enjoying the coolness and the view......without having to dismount, lock up my bike, and find somewhere to sit. Or biking to the food trucks or a pop up and not having to eat standing up because the few tables are all full! Granted this doesn't apply to 2 wheel bents, but for me it is an unexpected and delightful surprise. My previous 2 wheelers had very relaxed positions so I had nice views and no pains (thanks to a pro setup, which my trike definitely didn't require) but if I went somewhere and wanted to sit I had to deal with finding a safe space to lock up and then find seating. With my trike, it's built in, lol. Oh, and I love not having to put a foot down when stopping, I admit I am definitely more considerate of pedestrians on pathways as a result. But that's just my experience.....
Likes For linberl:
Old 06-24-22, 12:14 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I don't really look up. By the time you set your eyes back on the road, the road is gone and you're flying in midair. It's only distraction.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-25-22, 10:48 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I am new to recumbents and would agree with rydabent. In my 70s I raised bars to seat level and on a couple above which has opened my field of view and my Catrike even more so. The old routes are more alive. I am going to get a helmet with a built in visor to keep the sun off my nose that here-to-for would have decrease visability.
Old 06-27-22, 01:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by linberl
It depends on what your DF setup is or was. I see a LOT of folks now with much more upright riding setups, and these are folks who also are more interested in comfort and views, especially touring. Roadies with their hunched over position aren't really out to enjoy the view, lol, they're looking for speed. To me, as a newbie recumbent trike rider, the most unexpected thing that I appreciate so very much is that I always have a seat wherever I go!!! Nothing beats biking to the ocean on a hot day and pulling out a book and reading while enjoying the coolness and the view......without having to dismount, lock up my bike, and find somewhere to sit. Or biking to the food trucks or a pop up and not having to eat standing up because the few tables are all full! Granted this doesn't apply to 2 wheel bents, but for me it is an unexpected and delightful surprise. My previous 2 wheelers had very relaxed positions so I had nice views and no pains (thanks to a pro setup, which my trike definitely didn't require) but if I went somewhere and wanted to sit I had to deal with finding a safe space to lock up and then find seating. With my trike, it's built in, lol. Oh, and I love not having to put a foot down when stopping, I admit I am definitely more considerate of pedestrians on pathways as a result. But that's just my experience.....
Yes trikes are a great destination machine. If you go to a bike race or what ever, when you get there you have a lawn chair.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-27-22, 04:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Yeahbuttt... upright riders can see their front wheels! Sometimes that's all they can see, but ... details! Of course tadpole riders can also see their front wheels...
Old 06-27-22, 04:29 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
> The most under rated thing about bents and trikes??

How much weenie upwrongs get their panitees all twisted when they read how comfortable they are. Totally irrational but funny
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-28-22, 05:09 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
In my opinion, one of the coolest things about trikes is that you don't have to unclip when you stop. On another note, I once rode the Cherohala Challenge on a Catrike Road. While I was at a rest stop, someone said it was very inspiring to handicapped people out riding (I was standing next to them).

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-28-22 at 05:13 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-28-22, 09:20 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by nomadmax
In my opinion, one of the coolest things about trikes is that you don't have to unclip when you stop. On another note, I once rode the Cherohala Challenge on a Catrike Road. While I was at a rest stop, someone said it was very inspiring to handicapped people out riding (I was standing next to them).
People are soooo funny like that! I actually AM handicapped (i can ride but can't walk without a walker), and when I pull up on my trike for curbside delivery places (I'm car free so the trike is my car), they grumble about why I can't just come in and get my stuff, lol. I have a walker I can attach to my trike rack but then I can't carry packages. Maybe I need to get a disabled triker flag, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-01-22, 02:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

This is absolutely true. I have been fully bent since 2005. I have a RANS Stratus LWB bent, and my TerraTrike. The bike usually goes out of town on club rides. I virtually alway ride my trike in town on the trails. With so many stop on the trails at lights and crossings, it is great to not have to unclip. When you can go, you simply start pedaling again. It is safer too, because their is no wobbling around trying catch your balance and get clipped in.
Old 08-02-22, 06:28 AM
GhostRider62

Output is underrated on a bent. I know every porta potty within 20 miles of my house, usually needing to pee 6 times the first hour. Rarely if ever need to pee on an upright. Anybody ever figure out why that is?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-02-22, 08:47 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Output is underrated on a bent. I know every porta potty within 20 miles of my house, usually needing to pee 6 times the first hour. Rarely if ever need to pee on an upright. Anybody ever figure out why that is?
On BROL, Vanvalks said:
There's a reason for this, and it's not so much how much water you drink on your ride. What happens is that when you assume the reclined position typical of trike riding and pedal, your body senses a relative fluid overload as the blood that normally sits pooled in your legs gets returned to the general circulation by both the position and the contracting muscles in your legs. In response, you secrete less of a hormone called ADH, which signals your body to make more urine to decrease the overload. Your body responds over a matter of an hour or so, your bladder fills, and you pee. Then when you get home, you stand up and your body senses a fluid underload as the blood resumes its normal position in your legs. This signals an increase in ADH, to decrease urine production, and also increases your thirst. Thus, an hour or so after returning home, you get much thirstier than normal, and pee less than usual for the next few hours. The trick in warm weather when you are sweating a lot is to balance all of this fluid shifting around with your fluid intake so you don't get dehydrated either during or after the ride.
Old 08-04-22, 06:21 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I forgot to mention what got me here, arthritis in my hands is no longer stopping me from a ride on the bad arthritis days.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-04-22, 07:15 AM
GhostRider62

No pressure on hands or neck are easily underrated compared to those stupid upwrong bikes says me after suffering 200+ miles on one the other day
Old 08-05-22, 11:16 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Anything low can offer that benefit, although that includes most trikes anyway, even without the 3-wheel stability at a stop.

Old 08-05-22, 11:18 AM
linberl

After a pro set up on my DF bikes, I had no more neck or hand or arm pain. But honestly nothing eliminates the butt pain after 50 miles, doesn't matter what kind of saddle, I tried them all. My posterior loves a recumbent seat! I can ride for many more miles with smiles.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-06-22, 02:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
> The most under rated thing about bents and trikes??

How much weenie upwrongs get their panitees all twisted when they read how comfortable they are. Totally irrational but funny
Add to that how many threads are there on all the bike forums on what to do about butt pain.
Old 08-06-22, 03:06 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Add to that how many threads are there on all the bike forums on what to do about butt pain.
You’ve never heard of “recumbent butt?” Might want to search BROL.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-07-22, 06:06 AM
GhostRider62

Go read all the complaints of pain on the new Alpha 9 seat.

Myself, as long as I keep the seat reclined to 20 degrees or lower, I have zero butt pain but as I think I said, water can accumulate on some bent seats in the rain and then you get a soupy sore butt. Drilling holes and not using a foam pad was my "solution". Bents are better at some things compared to an upright but it is really a horses for course argument. On some terrain, I simply could not ride a bent and on others, I simply would not want to be on anything other than a bent. Proselytizing and droning on and on and on won't convert anyone.
Old 08-07-22, 09:23 AM
linberl

Every body and every butt is different. When I was riding DF, everyone extolled the Brooks saddles. I bought one, tried if for a year. The only saddle that ever made me cry. Now that I have a recumbent I've started meeting others with recumbents; definitely discovered I much prefer the mesh style seat i have to the hard formed seats with pads that some bents have. Bents seem no less adaptable in terms of types of seats but it does seem like they are more model specific, whereas you can put just about any saddle on any DF bike. A little more standardization would be nice I think. Just because the mesh suits me now doesn't mean I might not find a different type of seat more comfortable later on, and AFAIK, you can't just put on any seat brand on any bent brand. Be nice if I was wrong about that...... although I have had zero butt discomfort so far.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-07-22, 09:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
You’ve never heard of “recumbent butt?” Might want to search BROL.
Heard of it but never have had it in the more than 25,000 miles I have ridden my bend and trike.
Old 10-29-22, 08:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by linberl
What you post is a good number three point. Yes a trike is a great destination ride. Once you get where you are going, you have your own lawn chair. And as you say, when stopping at an ice cream shop that is really busy, when all the out door tables or seats are taken, you still have your own.
Old 10-29-22, 10:02 AM
linberl

What you post is a good number three point. Yes a trike is a great destination ride. Once you get where you are going, you have your own lawn chair. And as you say, when stopping at an ice cream shop that is really busy, when all the out door tables or seats are taken, you still have your own.
It's really been useful recently. Most restaurants here have set up outdoor seating (as a result of Covid) and it's staying. Due to my health condition, I have to take my folding walker on the trike if I am going to get off the seat and walk anywhere, but I've had great luck being able to just ride right up to tables and have meals with friends without getting off the trike. Makes it less hassle, as I don't have to strap the walker to the trike, and I'm certainly comfortable during the meal. The boom and crank just slide under the tables, lol. And since we can eat outdoors most of the winter here (Bay Area, hardly any rainfall unfortunately) it's a year-round dining out option.
Likes For linberl:
Old 10-29-22, 11:32 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Yes the best thing I've noticed in riding a recumbent is how nice it is to just pull over to the side and take a nap or read something. I wonder how well a recumbent would fare at like an outdoor concert.

My recumbent is not electrified and imo recumbents stand to gain the most from electrification. I wonder what is the best way to go about it.
Old 10-29-22, 11:44 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Heard of it but never have had it in the more than 25,000 miles I have ridden my bend and trike.
You're lucky, my friend. Although my trike is comfortable for the first 20 miles of a ride, after that I start to stiffen up and hurt a bit. I try to change positions a bit but this is rather limited on a bent.

What would be great is a seat with control buttons to modify position as I ride. Even better is having the buttons programmed into memory so that I can switch to any desired position without hunting for it. I figure all of the solenoids/motors/hydraulics would add about 100 lbs to my ride, but that's a small price to pay for comfort. Or, I could just get up and stretch every 20 miles or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.