Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Leg Burn

Old 09-20-22, 10:06 PM
Grouperdawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Leg Burn

I pulled my right hamstring in early July, Ortho said grade 2, no black and blue but still painful couldn’t walk for a while. He said eight weeks, i road some on the trainer resting my right leg and peddling with my left. Road flats and trainer to ease back into it when they said was appropriate

Started riding road again and after few days my legs started burning every little hill etc. Probably anything over 230 watts burning tops of both thighs. This has been going on for several weeks wondering if it’s ever going to get better. Not sure if I’m using different muscles now or what and not sure if I should ride less or ride more. I’ve had my legs burn for a few seconds if I road hard and rested for ten minutes right when start back up but it would go away pretty quick, this doesn’t go away. I’ve ridden a few centuries, done some intervals, and I’ve rested no approach seems to help so far
Old 09-20-22, 11:56 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
I pulled my right hamstring in early July, Ortho said grade 2, no black and blue but still painful couldn’t walk for a while. He said eight weeks, i road some on the trainer resting my right leg and peddling with my left. Road flats and trainer to ease back into it when they said was appropriate

Started riding road again and after few days my legs started burning every little hill etc. Probably anything over 230 watts burning tops of both thighs. This has been going on for several weeks wondering if it’s ever going to get better. Not sure if I’m using different muscles now or what and not sure if I should ride less or ride more. I’ve had my legs burn for a few seconds if I road hard and rested for ten minutes right when start back up but it would go away pretty quick, this doesn’t go away. I’ve ridden a few centuries, done some intervals, and I’ve rested no approach seems to help so far
hmmmm... 35 views and no takers so far? BF is losing it's touch...
Did you change your saddle position (to compensate for hamstring re-injury buzzin around in your head)? If so, that will certainly cause some issues.
Coming back hard after a long layoff is the same as doing sprint intervals without doing any warm up...
Just because they haven't been used, doesn't mean that your muscles have lost much strength. It takes many weeks for muscles to really show a strong decrease. However, 'fitness' /aerobic capacity shows marked decrease in 2 weeks and 3 weeks off shows a very significant drop. So, not only are you losing aerobic fitness quicker, you're also losing the ability to fuel the muscles at a quicker rate than the decease in the muscles function. DId you ride centuries and do intervals at some short time after getting back on the bike?
Age can have a hand in all this...
Any concept of working back into cycling effort over a measured and building program?
If the legs hurt when you push your finger into them, that turkey is done... take it out of the oven.
Early July - 2 months would be Labor day for back on bike? Ease on back in? Doesn't sound like it.
if you want the burn to go away, real recovery rides, every ride, for probably at least 2 weeks or as long as it takes to get the legs to stop hurting from a simple poke. Then ease back into a building rate of efforts over following weeks, not days. Need I mention stretching and self-massage (If you can regularly 'get' a massage, even better...)
'Recovery ride' nothing much above mid zone 2, only when a hill requires get near 50% FTP... slow down, easy cadence, but a light spin. If you're not waving to small children as they pass you on their bikes, you;re goin too fast, working too hard...
it works...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-21-22, 06:04 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I pulled my right hamstring in early July
Injured from riding or a different activity?
Old 09-21-22, 06:51 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 339 Posts
I didn't go to medical school or stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but the burning sensation on both legs leads me to believe that it's a matter a combination of lost fitness, stroke compensation, and psychosomatic perception.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 09-21-22, 07:15 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 184 Posts
Hamstrings work in conjunction with the quadriceps muscles. That burn you feel at the top of the thigh is the quad counteracting the hamstring.

Are you saying the pain is in the quads rather than the hammys?

If so, you're pushing too hard. Your quads have been pushed to the limit trying to make up whatever you lost in the hammys.

Back way off, only start when you're feeling 100%, and don't push it in the meantime. Otherwise you risk a quad tear. Believe me, you don't want this.
Old 09-21-22, 07:48 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Are you 16 years old? Hamstring pull bad enough for a doctor visit in July and you are doing centuries plural and intervals by September? If you push yourself all the time with no restraint yes you can have problems. Did we ever get as far as determining why the initial hamstring pull occurred? Pulling a ham on a bike is not an easy thing to do, if it occurs there is a reason. Or maybe the ham pull was not on the bike? Can't tell.
Old 09-21-22, 08:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Honestly. I think threads like this shouldn't be allowed. I have no idea how many things you should need to have ruled out here, some of which could be quite serious.
For example, I've had pain that doesn't go away turn out to be blood clots. Not saying that's likely here, but how the hell would we know?

Talk to your doctor, not some internet nerds.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-22, 12:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts

Order some Sport Legs supplements and try them.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-21-22, 12:58 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honestly. I think threads like this shouldn't be allowed. I have no idea how many things you should need to have ruled out here, some of which could be quite serious.
For example, I've had pain that doesn't go away turn out to be blood clots. Not saying that's likely here, but how the hell would we know?

+1
For me it was a side effect of Pravastatin.
Coach diagnosed it.
Doc fixed me up.

Barry
Old 09-21-22, 07:44 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by cyclezen
hmmmm... 35 views and no takers so far? BF is losing it's touch...
Did you change your saddle position (to compensate for hamstring re-injury buzzin around in your head)? If so, that will certainly cause some issues.
Coming back hard after a long layoff is the same as doing sprint intervals without doing any warm up...
Just because they haven't been used, doesn't mean that your muscles have lost much strength. It takes many weeks for muscles to really show a strong decrease. However, 'fitness' /aerobic capacity shows marked decrease in 2 weeks and 3 weeks off shows a very significant drop. So, not only are you losing aerobic fitness quicker, you're also losing the ability to fuel the muscles at a quicker rate than the decease in the muscles function. DId you ride centuries and do intervals at some short time after getting back on the bike?
Age can have a hand in all this...
Any concept of working back into cycling effort over a measured and building program?
If the legs hurt when you push your finger into them, that turkey is done... take it out of the oven.
Early July - 2 months would be Labor day for back on bike? Ease on back in? Doesn't sound like it.
if you want the burn to go away, real recovery rides, every ride, for probably at least 2 weeks or as long as it takes to get the legs to stop hurting from a simple poke. Then ease back into a building rate of efforts over following weeks, not days. Need I mention stretching and self-massage (If you can regularly 'get' a massage, even better...)
'Recovery ride' nothing much above mid zone 2, only when a hill requires get near 50% FTP... slow down, easy cadence, but a light spin. If you're not waving to small children as they pass you on their bikes, you;re goin too fast, working too hard...
it works...
Ride On
Yuri
thx for taking the time to write this detailed post. I haven’t changed anything on the bike

I’m not sure on the exact date, but I’m pretty sure the full eight weeks would have been the week before Labor Day bc Labor Day was try start of the centuries. So may have been end of June. But i started peddling maybe a week half before that which was encouraged

The centuries were with 28 riders and I sat in so wasn’t much work except some hills but still burned. We did 130 the longest day

Took five days off after that

age is 50

alot of that makes sense, bc my muscles don’t feel weak. They just burn like crap

have done a good bit of the massage and normatec
Old 09-21-22, 07:45 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by bikehoco
Injured from riding or a different activity?
Tennis
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 09-21-22, 07:49 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Are you 16 years old? Hamstring pull bad enough for a doctor visit in July and you are doing centuries plural and intervals by September? If you push yourself all the time with no restraint yes you can have problems. Did we ever get as far as determining why the initial hamstring pull occurred? Pulling a ham on a bike is not an easy thing to do, if it occurs there is a reason. Or maybe the ham pull was not on the bike? Can't tell.
yes not on the bike, I wiped out trying to run a ball down tennis. It was ugly.
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 09-21-22, 07:54 PM
Grouperdawg

Ortho really didn’t have much to say , just watch it and come back if it stayed bothersome in a few weeks

just seemed like maybe others on a big forum like this might have had a similar experience and might share their experience
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 09-21-22, 09:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Ortho really didn’t have much to say , just watch it and come back if it stayed bothersome in a few weeks

just seemed like maybe others on a big forum like this might have had a similar experience and might share their experience
I started riding bicycles to get stronger for dirt biking. After doing both for a while my quads burned a lot, seemed like all the time. It took a long time for it to stop happening.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-21-22, 10:01 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by big john
I started riding bicycles to get stronger for dirt biking. After doing both for a while my quads burned a lot, seemed like all the time. It took a long time for it to stop happening.
Thx
Old 09-21-22, 10:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Thx
I was just thinking about a roller or roller ball. I use a plastic ball on my quads sometimes to help recovery. Some people swear by the foam rollers.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-22-22, 05:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I wasn't trying to be harsh at you, but I think when you started describing abnormal pain that doesn't go away with rest, you are really asking us to a) diagnose you and b) suggest cures or treatment. That's medical advice, whether or not it's based on our personal anecdotes.

This isn't necessarily an ortho problem at this point, btw, and it might make sense to discuss this with a GP. I will tell you that when I had my first leg blood clot, I had to insist on an ultrasound, the doctor said he ordered it just to humor me, and the ultrasound found a really large clot the doctor was sure wouldn't be there. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you have blood clots, just that sometimes you need to be a bit pushy in convincing a doctor something is not normal.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-22, 06:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I wasn't trying to be harsh at you, but I think when you started describing abnormal pain that doesn't go away with rest, you are really asking us to a) diagnose you and b) suggest cures or treatment. That's medical advice, whether or not it's based on our personal anecdotes.

This isn't necessarily an ortho problem at this point, btw, and it might make sense to discuss this with a GP. I will tell you that when I had my first leg blood clot, I had to insist on an ultrasound, the doctor said he ordered it just to humor me, and the ultrasound found a really large clot the doctor was sure wouldn't be there. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you have blood clots, just that sometimes you need to be a bit pushy in convincing a doctor something is not normal.
I was born with a congenital heart defect. It was of a type that might have required corrective surgery later in life. When my heart started acting up at age 25 (when I was in the best shape of my life), one cardiologist I was seeing at the university hospital in Pittsburgh was sure there was nothing seriously wrong despite the folks at the children's hospital saying "We see this from time to tome. Give him a cath." I could tell something was seriously wrong. Instead, they did a series of non-invasive tests after each test suggested I needed the next one. They even had me see a shrink to assess whether it was stress from law school. (it wasn't.) They finally said "We think you need to have a cath." The night before the cath the aforementioned cardiologist told me he didn't think the cath would turn up anything serious. The day after the cath the chief cardiologist came to see me along with Dr. Know it All and said "You need to have surgery within a year or you could suffer permanent heart damage. It supremely gratifying to look at Dr. Know it All and literally say "Told you so." No way I was going to wait a year. I had the surgery a couple of weeks before the start of my third year.
Old 09-22-22, 06:55 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
yes not on the bike, I wiped out trying to run a ball down tennis. It was ugly.
Thought so.

Do you see the pattern of behavior yet? Your doctors are backing off because they know you aren't listening. You will listen when you bring them something big and expensive and nothing they can do until then.

Training gains are consolidated with rest and recovery. You have absolute zero notion of rest and recovery.

At age 50 the schedule of intervals you can effectively absorb is not much. Intervals will still be effective done properly. No intervals at all until the pain is well in the rearview. Which is always the case.

You are chronically overtrained. A young guy could continue riding at 95% (being very cautious not to overdo it) and be done with overtraining in a month. Or six weeks. At 50 allowing yourself to get overtrained is a big mistake. it will be hard to even tell when compensation and healing has happened. It won't be soon. Mostly you are just speeding up the aging process.

It is not all over at 50. Not even close. If you continue to behave like a teenager you are going on the injury list. If injury is the only way to slow you down injury will come.
Old 09-22-22, 07:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts

This^^^^

I'm always astounded how people log on to a forum of bike enthusiast seeking medical advice.

If I'm not feeling well I make an appointment with my doctor. I don't make an appointment at the local bike shop for what is ailing me.
Old 09-22-22, 10:46 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If I'm not feeling well I make an appointment with my doctor. I don't make an appointment at the local bike shop for what is ailing me.
Funny.

Most people make an appointment with a doctor AND talk to others to see if they’ve had similar experiences.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 09-22-22, 11:44 AM
Grouperdawg

Roger that , on the flip side I’ll ask my doctor when I go in next week for my physical about possibility of clots which I never would have thought of if you hadn’t said anything so thats a good thing. I think it makes sense that it takes longer then I would have thought to build back up my threshold and doing too much too quick but it can’t hurt to ask him about the clots

Little different but one of the guys in our club he had blood clots a couple weeks ago and on the group chat and someone mentioned that’s common with cancer to ask his doctor about that and sure enough he has gall bladder and liver cancer.
Old 09-22-22, 11:46 AM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Thought so.

Do you see the pattern of behavior yet? Your doctors are backing off because they know you aren't listening. You will listen when you bring them something big and expensive and nothing they can do until then.

Training gains are consolidated with rest and recovery. You have absolute zero notion of rest and recovery.

At age 50 the schedule of intervals you can effectively absorb is not much. Intervals will still be effective done properly. No intervals at all until the pain is well in the rearview. Which is always the case.

You are chronically overtrained. A young guy could continue riding at 95% (being very cautious not to overdo it) and be done with overtraining in a month. Or six weeks. At 50 allowing yourself to get overtrained is a big mistake. it will be hard to even tell when compensation and healing has happened. It won't be soon. Mostly you are just speeding up the aging process.

It is not all over at 50. Not even close. If you continue to behave like a teenager you are going on the injury list. If injury is the only way to slow you down injury will come.
ok thx
Old 09-22-22, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Roger that , on the flip side I’ll ask my doctor when I go in next week for my physical about possibility of clots which I never would have thought of if you hadn’t said anything so thats a good thing. I think it makes sense that it takes longer then I would have thought to build back up my threshold and doing too much too quick but it can’t hurt to ask him about the clots

Little different but one of the guys in our club he had blood clots a couple weeks ago and on the group chat and someone mentioned that’s common with cancer to ask his doctor about that and sure enough he has gall bladder and liver cancer.

They had to rule that out for me a couple years ago when I got several unexplained blood clots. The lab was actually having trouble locating some of the tests that were ordered.
Likes For livedarklions: