Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

3 or 2

Old 09-24-22, 07:35 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
3 or 2

Hi i was going to change my hybrid bike from 3 to 2 and was wondering how peple liked the 2 over the 3 tia.
Old 09-24-22, 07:44 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 791 Posts
3x is better than 2x. It's one better.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-24-22, 08:38 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 212 Posts
Well, I have a 1x, so......

My old Mongoose was a 3x, but I rarely used anything other than the top 7 gears. I would think if you are careful with the useful gear range you'll be fine.

Mark
Old 09-25-22, 04:42 AM
Trav1s
Id rather be riding

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 1, 1994 Specialized S-Works M2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
I have 2x11 on my Quick 1 and 3x8 on the Specialized M2. I find myself sticking to one front ring or the other on the Quick depending on the Trail. I tend to stick to the large front ring on the Specialized riding the same trails. If I need the next closest ration on the Quick I have figured out the gear change necessary but rarely do I need it.
Old 09-25-22, 06:26 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 455 Posts
I went from a 3x7 to a 1x10 and could not be happier. You'd be luck to have more than 11-12 distinct gears on a 3x7 so you don't lose much with a 1x10 setup except, of course, chainrings, and front shifting system components.
Old 09-25-22, 06:38 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
IMUHO It may have more to do with the terrain you generally ride combined with the gear inches you get out of either combinations. I would think one shifter and one derailleur would be best if you don’t sacrifice any gears.
Old 09-25-22, 09:22 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 232 Posts
agree - the terrain / type of riding you do is a key factor - as is the condition / level of fitness of the rider

a double with a 34 or 36t small ring might not be ideal for some riders with a lot of climbing (30 or 32 might be more appropriate) ...

cassette also comes into play of course - with a 34t large cog a 34 or 36t small ring might be more agreeable

of course if the riding is primarily flat - just about anything goes ... an old road bike with a 42/23 combo will work - the same bike that will barely get you out of your neighborhood in a hilly area
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-25-22, 09:28 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

is this for a 7300 FX ?

not familiar with this bike - but familiar with similar bike (FX 7.3 with a triple) ...

if your current shifters / shifting is fine - I would be hesitant to change from a triple to a double ... not sure how much is to be gained in this particular application ... ? ...

you could possibly convert to a poor man's double ... ? ... remove the small ring - adjust / block the derailleur from moving to the small ring ? ... again - I don't know how much is to be gained in this particular application
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-25-22, 09:41 AM
t2p

one example of a great 1x hybrid build ... bike is a featherweight ... one ring / no front shifter and cable / no FD

friend built this for his wife - for primarily level / rolling riding

but this bike was built / spec'd from the get-go for a 1x ... a lot went into the component selection (which of course still pales in comparison to the actual frame design/build)
Old 09-29-22, 02:30 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 88 Posts
I've kinda been anti triple,for years, but recently lucked into a deal on a Giant hybrid that has that 3rd ring, and I've come to love it ! Now, admittedly, my racing/hard-hammering days are long gone, and while I'm holding up pretty well, i am pushing 60 now, and torquing up the hills is simply more comfortable and enjoyable with that little ring.
I also have a Franken-hybrid I built on a Marin frame, that has the now-popular single ring, and I found that I'm not digging it as much since stumbling onto this triple.
So, my answer would be, that it depends on all the variables, like your age, weight, condition, riding environment, goals, etc. Go with whatever seems to work for you.
Edit: as alluded to above, theres not much to be gained from going triple to down double, other than just wasting good money. If that's the choice, leave well enough alone, IMHO.

Last edited by Brocephus; 09-29-22 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 03:23 PM
Trav1s
Id rather be riding

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 1, 1994 Specialized S-Works M2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus View Post
I've kinda been anti triple,for years, but recently lucked into a deal on a Giant hybrid that has that 3rd ring, and I've come to love it ! Now, admittedly, my racing/hard-hammering days are long gone, and while I'm holding up pretty well, i am pushing 60 now, and torquing up the hills is simply more comfortable and enjoyable with that little ring.
I also have a Franken-hybrid I built on a Marin frame, that has the now-popular single ring, and I found that I'm not digging it as much since stumbling onto this triple.
So, my answer would be, that it depends on all the variables, like your age, weight, condition, riding environment, goals, etc. Go with whatever seems to work for you.
Edit: as alluded to above, theres not much to be gained from going triple to down double, other than just wasting good money. If that's the choice, leave well enough alone, IMHO.
Wisdom right there!
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 09-30-22, 07:38 PM
Dragum
Hybrid vigor climber.

Bikes: Caloi SuperCross 1993 and Caloi CityTour 2019

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
the problem of 2x is: shimano 38-28 or 38-24 ir rare and expensive.