Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon headset wobble solved...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 05-06-09, 09:21 PM
djgonzo007
Sprint the hills!

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro w/Campy, Dahon MU P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since I purchased my D7 (from private party) there has been a slight wobble seemingly coming from the headset. I searched the Dahon forums and tried the fix suggested but that didn't work so I gave in and took it to the LBS that is a Dahon dealer. In less than a couple of minutes he had the problem solved! It was a simple adjustment (tightening) of the clasp that secures the handlepost. My D7 now rides solid and smooth, no wobble!
Old 05-06-09, 11:22 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Great, thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-07-09, 07:24 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a common problem with Dahon handleposts. On the advice of someone from this forum, I carry a tool to tighten it up periodically.

Now if I could only figure out how to tighten the frame hinge joint without making it difficult to fold.

My bands:
Old 05-08-09, 05:58 AM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same problem with my Citizen Tokyo, and same solution - thanks KitN for the advice.
Old 05-11-09, 06:11 AM
phoebejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2007 MuSL has had chronic headset wobble from two sources. First, the white plastic clamp adjustment bolt loosens on its own, but locktite fixes that for a year or so. Second, I've had to replace the headseat bearings twice. The first time, I let it go too long and the bottom sealed bearing blew completely. It made for a very sloppy ride, downright dangerous. The second time a year later I caught it sooner. Both my local bike shops had the right bearings in stock, even the one that doesn't carry folders. Crane Creek 1 1/8" Z6 Z2 or something like that.

Watch those headsets! You can distinguish headset from handlebar lock by tightening down the handlbar clamp, popping the handlebars back up, tightening in the front brake and looking for wiggle in the headset area.

Good luck, all.
Old 01-13-16, 04:19 AM
alex224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I've lookong for headset replacement for my Dahon Speed P8. Anybody knows if any semi-integrated headset is valid for Dahon?

Thanks
Old 08-25-20, 08:05 PM
Underdawg

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dahon headset

Did you looked at the Cross Creek 40-Series – ZS44/28.6/H8 | ZS44/30 – Short Cover – Complete – Black – BAA0075K ?
Jenson has them at around $45 (US dollars plus shipping). There are also the Litepro H73 headset offered by Thorsten USA and descriptions on how to perform this replacement.
Old 08-26-20, 05:20 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Underdawg
Did you looked at the Cross Creek 40-Series – ZS44/28.6/H8 | ZS44/30 – Short Cover – Complete – Black – BAA0075K ?
Jenson has them at around $45 (US dollars plus shipping). There are also the Litepro H73 headset offered by Thorsten USA and descriptions on how to perform this replacement.
First off, this is a dead thread. Second, Jenson is a scam company, and I recommend avoiding them like Covid 19 (the plague). Their customer service is disgusting, and they'll rip a person off in a second.
Old 10-01-22, 01:39 PM
amyvegan

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
2008 Mu (used) wobbling big time.

2008 Mu (used) wobbling big time right now.
About a month ago, took it to LBS, they said the headset wasn't part of the old recall for failed hinges/headsets but I didn't ask them to tighten it up.
I'm so worried about frequent loosening and being unable to do it myself and having to schlep it 10 miles each way to the only Dahon dealer in my area.
Any 2022 recommendations for fixes?
Thanks.
amy

Last edited by amyvegan; 10-01-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 05:13 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan
2008 Mu (used) wobbling big time right now.
About a month ago, took it to LBS, they said the headset wasn't part of the old recall for failed hinges/headsets but I didn't ask them to tighten it up.
I'm so worried about frequent loosening and being unable to do it myself and having to schlep it 10 miles each way to the only Dahon dealer in my area.
Any 2022 recommendations for fixes?
Thanks.
amy
Replace the headset? The Litepro H73 part suggested earlier is solid (and inexpensive at $4 locally), but I would not dissuade you from a Cane Creek job. Hardest part of a headset replacement is taking the old one out, but with the right tool it's not a big deal. Good luck.
Old 10-03-22, 08:45 PM
Underdawg

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crane creek headset

Good to know about Jenson. I'll look for other sellers on amazon and ebay for the Crane Creek option. if my local bike shop does not carry the The Litepro H73.
And there are online instructions (not allowed to post URL) and of course there are video instructions online as well.
Old 10-03-22, 09:25 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Underdawg
Good to know about Jenson. I'll look for other sellers on amazon and ebay for the Crane Creek option. if my local bike shop does not carry the The Litepro H73.
And there are online instructions (not allowed to post URL) and of course there are video instructions online as well.
You'll need a tool to get the old one out, and a tool to press fit the new one onto the headtube. You could also try a rubber mallet. Or you could leave the old cups in place and replace only the bearing cartridges. Good luck.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 10-03-22 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 02:27 AM
Ron Damon

FYI & FWIW this, the Litepro H73, is what a standard folding bike headset looks like. Two hard washers or rings, two cups with removable bearing cartridges and a crown. Four bucks in my parish.