Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

$20 "Clang-Find", 1984 Schwinn High Sierra

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

$20 "Clang-Find", 1984 Schwinn High Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-22, 02:51 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Do you find the chain to be lightweight...?

Hee hee.

Looks fantastic.
Oh, didn't I tell you? The rear wheel shall be driven by sheer force of will! I am a Marine, after all... and the objective is always BEER!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 10-01-22, 02:55 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Oh, didn't I tell you? The rear wheel shall be driven by sheer force of will! I am a Marine, after all... and the objective is always BEER!
Crystal chains don't do well on gravel...beer is a good lubricant for most parts.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-03-22, 10:17 AM
kjaioqhbkqb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Handlebars: awesome. What brand/model are they?
Grips: gross. Get something in black.
Saddle: gross. Silver rails if leather. If not, then Selle Turbo classic.
Pedals: overboard. Just get anything. All black or all red.
Drivetrain: go all silver. Silver deraillieurs.
Mirror? No.
Tires: awesome. All black. No sidewall.
Cable housing: all black.
Drop the front rack. Use the rear rack for everything and some straps or a grocery bag/pannier
Remove the dork disc.
Clean the seatpost QR.
Old 10-03-22, 10:23 AM
tombc

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kjaioqhbkqb
Mirror? No.
Drop the front rack. Use the rear rack for everything and some straps or a grocery bag/pannier
Remove the dork disc.
Clean the seatpost QR.
You can do as you please on your own bike.
Old 10-03-22, 10:40 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by tombc
Hey, at least he didn't have a self-important critical opinion about the chain.....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-03-22, 10:47 AM
kjaioqhbkqb

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tombc

Thank you. I didn't know that.
Old 10-03-22, 12:56 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by kjaioqhbkqb
Mirror? No.
Remove the dork disc.
Clean the seatpost QR.
Wow. I've run into this kind of attitude a couple other times lately - it's a new phenomenon to me. I was very diplomatic with the first two, but maybe it's time I just go ahead and sink to your level.

From your Public Profile: "kjaioqhbkqb has not made any friends yet" - I'm shocked... shocked!

Opinions? Don't really care, when you spew them at me like that.
Manners? Atrocious! Were you raised by your parents? Or just the internet? There are these ancient words, called "Please", and "Thank You". Look them up. Use them.
And for the record, your suggestions (Commands! - in some cases. ) are mostly crap. Not sure where you get your design ethic, but it's probably from the same place you got your manners.
Please feel free to ignore my posts in the future.

Thank you.

Last edited by DQRider; 10-03-22 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-03-22, 03:35 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Wow. I've run into this kind of attitude a couple other times lately - it's a new phenomenon to me. I was very diplomatic with the first two, but maybe it's time I just go ahead and sink to your level.

From your Public Profile: "kjaioqhbkqb has not made any friends yet" - I'm shocked... shocked!

Opinions? Don't really care, when you spew them at me like that.
Manners? Atrocious! Were you raised by your parents? Or just the internet? There are these ancient words, called "Please", and "Thank You". Look them up. Use them.
And for the record, your suggestions (Commands! - in some cases. ) are mostly crap. Not sure where you get your design ethic, but it's probably from the same place you got your manners.
Please feel free to ignore my posts in the future.

Thank you.
Well, the OP is looking for opinions and feedback on his choices and I'm not long-winded.
Old 10-03-22, 06:25 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Final Mockup - Changes Coming

I was finally able to connect with the CL basket seller this morning, so now I have everything I need to complete this bike.

Here is the final mockup:

Changes:
  1. Handlebar and grips - I'll be going with my favorite SOMA Oxford Black, mounted upside down, with Brooks leather ring grips. I didn't like the ergonomics of this bar; too narrow. And I happen to have these in my parts bin, so they don't add to the total project cost.
  2. I had hoped the basket would mount the other way, with the low part on the back. But no... I'll have to do stretches before operating this bad boy. It'll take a high roundhouse kick to get over that basket! But I love the look.
  3. Bottle cage? The typical mission for this bike will be short range cargo, so I'm not sure a bottle cage will be needed. However, what if I find a bottle of wine that I just have to have? Better factor that into my cage choice...
  4. Regular bolt and nut for seatpost retention.
Budget:
Since I was able to use parts from my bins for most of the build, the budget for this bike is ridiculously low. Bike = $20, Pedals - $30, Basket = $10, Total = $60! And the pedals weren't necessary - I had others that would fit. But when the Odyssee Triple Traps became available, I had to have them. What is this "Clunker Challenge" I keep reading about?

Next? The next post to this thread will be after the first test ride / shakedown cruise, or for this bike, the first supply run. I'm thinking I can fit a 12-pack both front and rear, or maybe beer up-front and groceries in the rear. We will find out soon - I'll be thrashing on this bike every free moment until it is done.

Last edited by DQRider; 10-03-22 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-04-22, 07:59 AM
madpogue 

I had hoped the basket would mount the other way, with the low part on the back. But no... I'll have to do stretches before operating this bad boy. It'll take a high roundhouse kick to get over that basket! But I love the look.*
Is that a mounting issue, or a fit issue? Looks like the top edge of the basket would not clear under the saddle, goinf the other way, eh? Or is there something finicky about how the bottom of the basket mounts to the rack top?
Old 10-04-22, 09:56 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by madpogue
Is that a mounting issue, or a fit issue? Looks like the top edge of the basket would not clear under the saddle, goinf the other way, eh? Or is there something finicky about how the bottom of the basket mounts to the rack top?
No, you're right. It's definitely a fit issue. If I mounted the saddle to where it would clear the high-end of the basket, I couldn't reach the pedals. And this rack is already as low as it can go.

It's alright, though - I've tested myself on this maneuver, and find I am still spry enough to supply a "boot to the head" when needed. Back in the `80s, when the movie "Bloodsport" came out, my Marine buddies and I had a wager to see who could master that splits-between-two-chairs thing the quickest. I didn't win, but I did get `er done.

What can I say? We were in Japan, and the dollar was so weak against the yen that we couldn't afford a night on the town. But we had an NCO club and a beer vending machine in the barracks, so we made up our own entertainment.
Something like this:

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-04-22, 02:42 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Mission Accomplished! Lotta Myles Beer Truck Bike Lives!

One thing I have learned on this little adventure, is that posting a build thread is a powerful motivator to see the project through. The bike itself is not what I would call finished, because I still have a bunch of cosmetic things to do, but from a functional standpoint, as a proof-of-concept, it really is Mission Accomplished as of an hour ago. I shot the following three photos upon return from my first test ride, even before I put the beer in the `fridge! Lotta Myles handles just fine with a heavy, but balanced load like this. I didn't even need bungies or a cargo net on this trip. Here she is:

I'm glad I decided to go with the SOMA Oxford / Brooks handlebar setup. It felt instantly familiar and confidence-inspiring as I set out on this maiden voyage. I ended up going with a Deore XT FD that I had hanging around, and it works like a charm. All the cables I rigged were cleaned and lubed, and all the controls are like buttah. Nothing wrong with friction shifters when they are done right.

My total out-of-pocket investment on this bike remains at $60; the best cycling value I have ever experienced. Thanks again, Clang!

Cosmetic details to come: the shellacked-twine chainstay protector is still gonna happen, as soon as I get the stuff to make it, and the time to do it right. I've got some "The MUST for RUST" treatment to apply to the patches of surface rust I'm finding on the frameset, and eventually I plan to repaint these patches. But those will be winter projects, after the snow flies. For now, I'm just going to enjoy doing my shopping on a classy old American MTB.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-04-22, 07:37 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
You've got these mtb-to-townie builds down pat. This is a crazy amount of utility and looks for a mere $60. I can see black was a theme, but there's plenty of other accent colors and metallics to keep it from getting oppressive. What's the decal on the seat tube you added all about? At a glance it's helping to give it a Rivendell vibe.

Funny that you mention it handling so well laden-down. I have the same experience on my Diamondback Ascent: it's easy to forget about the extra weight of the panniers on the back while riding, so it's always a surprise when I have to pick it up to lug it up the porch stairs.
Likes For Clang:
Old 10-04-22, 10:09 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Clang
You've got these mtb-to-townie builds down pat. This is a crazy amount of utility and looks for a mere $60. I can see black was a theme, but there's plenty of other accent colors and metallics to keep it from getting oppressive. What's the decal on the seat tube you added all about? At a glance it's helping to give it a Rivendell vibe.

Funny that you mention it handling so well laden-down. I have the same experience on my Diamondback Ascent: it's easy to forget about the extra weight of the panniers on the back while riding, so it's always a surprise when I have to pick it up to lug it up the porch stairs.
Well, first of all, I've always greatly admired Rivendell bikes. I'm sure my builds are influenced, on a subconscious level, by some of Grant's designs. Since it's doubtful I'll ever be able to afford a Rivendell, I just carry-on building my own.

That said, when I've customized a bike sufficiently beyond the manufacturer's original design intent, I feel justified applying my brand to the final product. Years ago, one of my relatives with way too much time on her hands researched our family heritage and heraldry. She presented this as the Charpentier family Coat of Arms:

So I had decals made that would fit the frame tubing on my bikes, and have been applying them ever since. The preferred location is always a classic seat tube panel application, like this:

But when that placement would interfere with the original manufacturer's livery, I go with an alternate location on the downtube, like this:

I sympathize with you on the weight thing. On the road, she handles like a much lighter bike. But the first time I picked this bike up with all the gear attached, an old Beatle's song wafted through my mind. I had to look it up to get the correct title: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

Last edited by DQRider; 10-05-22 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-05-22, 07:01 AM
madpogue 

It's alright, though - I've tested myself on this maneuver, and find I am still spry enough to supply a "boot to the head" when needed. Back in the `80s, when the movie "Bloodsport" came out, my Marine buddies and I had a wager to see who could master that splits-between-two-chairs thing the quickest. I didn't win, but I did get `er done.*
So, Lotta Myles, meet Chuck Norris.....

And from those latest photos, that is a textbook "balanced load". Think I'd still want to bungee them down.
Old 10-05-22, 07:21 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by madpogue
So, Lotta Myles, meet Chuck Norris.....

And from those latest photos, that is a textbook "balanced load". Think I'd still want to bungee them down.
Yeah, I've got a cargo net for the rear, and a bungee cord for the front. Those will go into a small handlebar bag, along with the big chain lock. The places I go on this bike are all within a mile of home, on smooth paved roads. Yesterday's maiden voyage was a total of 14 blocks, round trip. For a trip that short, the textbook says: No elastic retention required.

Old 10-05-22, 07:30 AM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Great bike! I just scored a 1985 Sierra, one step down from yours in components but still a full chromoly frame/fork. As this will be my first Minnesota winter, I’m thinking studded tires, fenders, and bar mitts, to make it my “ice road trucker” commuter. I’ve enjoyed watching your project for some good inspiration. Thanks!
Likes For ramones71:
Old 10-05-22, 09:34 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Hoo-wee! That is a nice looking ride. What are those tires? I don't think I've seen them before.
Old 10-05-22, 01:37 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by nick_a
Hoo-wee! That is a nice looking ride. What are those tires? I don't think I've seen them before.
These were all over the vintage MTB threads here for a while. They are called "Eastern Growler Tires".

$56 on Amazon, back in December, and it looks like they are still available. Best deal I've ever gotten on tires.

Old 10-05-22, 01:43 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by ramones71
Great bike! I just scored a 1985 Sierra, one step down from yours in components but still a full chromoly frame/fork. As this will be my first Minnesota winter, I’m thinking studded tires, fenders, and bar mitts, to make it my “ice road trucker” commuter. I’ve enjoyed watching your project for some good inspiration. Thanks!
You're welcome. I've opted for a newer, more common bike for my winter beater: an early `90s Diamondback Apex. This was their second tier under the Axis, and came equipped with all Deore LX components. I've equipped it the same as your plan, minus the bar mitts. I've found that the military-spec mittens I have for winter riding work just fine. There's a winter riding thread somewhere on BF, you might want to check that out for more ideas.

Likes For DQRider: