Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Well it happened: First crash

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Well it happened: First crash

Old 09-03-22, 11:02 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
A year off the bike? Are you sure you weren’t hallucinating when you heard that? 😉

I know you’re not Egan Bernal, who broke 21 bones and was back on his bike in a few months.

There’s no way you will be off your bike, though, for as long as one spin around the sun.

Originally Posted by Symox
Was going downhill on a road I wasn’t familiar with along with a friend. Took the first turn fine but it hid the second that came fast. I feathered the brakes to reduce speed and was surprised the rear wheel skidded. I released the brakes to gain traction. At that point it was too late and I ran into the curb. my friend behind me also skidded but he was coming to a stop when he turned the corner and saw me crash. Grateful he was going slower and didn’t crash. I Went over the bars and landed on my left shoulder. Strava said I was going 38mph.

I’ve been in the hospital since the accident Sunday afternoon (I’m writing this Wed night).

broken clavicle, dislocation, three ribs broken, and punctured lung. Some minor injury to one of the spine bones and road rash.

im doing better but this really sucks. I know it could have been worse and I’m grateful. I also know this was my fault. I am REALLY glad it happened when riding with a friend.

One doc said it will be a year before I can bike. All others are more optimistic. I’m actually healing quite well they are saying. There is no way I’m giving up on biking.

my friend took my bike home. Not sure of the damage. Nothing obvious but a bent rear rack (looks like the bike went over with me and landed on the rack then in the bushes. other than that , I don’t really want to look at it 😀

I’m looking for experience from others to know what to expect. I told The therapists that I will do anything you want me to do even if it’s painful as long as it doesn’t injure me -I think they kind of like working with me.
Old 09-06-22, 09:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
healing quite nice

Pain is way down. Can move arm above head with assist from other hand.

I'm driven to get back on the bike. Hopefully in 3-4 weeks?
Likes For Symox:
Old 09-08-22, 07:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts

The bike now has a bent rear wheel (aluminum rim). It is not a dramatic bend (maybe 1/2 inch). Is this repairable by bending or can I just re true it?
if it’s just out of true, it can be retried. If the aluminum rim is actually bent, it’s toast, and you need to either rebuild the wheel with a new rim, or get a new wheel.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-08-22, 07:43 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
I know your thread is about recovery, and I wish you a speedy one.

your description of your accident also leads to a teachable moment on bike handling and descending.

You were surprised by the second turn. Two ways to prevent that from happening again. First, you need to keep your focus as far down the road as possible. Just like skiing gates, or high performance driving on the track, if your focus is on the turn you’re in now, you’re already late for the next turn.

Second, work the turn backwards. By that I mean see your exit point, and figure your apex and entry to deliver you to the exit point.

if you can’t see the exit point, particularly on an open road, you need to slow your entry. Lots of bad things can be waiting, such as a dramatically descending radius, traffic, pedestrians, dogs, or in your case, a quickly approaching tight turn.

If I can see the exit of a turn, I rail it with confidence that I can complete,the turn without the need to brake in the wrong place. If I can’t see the exit I enter slower, which actually may not end up making you slower overall. (Slow in fast out is always going to be faster, and safer, than too fast in.)

None of this is meant as criticism, but hopefully some thoughts you might want to apply when you can get back on the bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 09-08-22, 08:09 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh;[url=tel:22640212
22640212[/url]]if it’s just out of true, it can be retried. If the aluminum rim is actually bent, it’s toast, and you need to either rebuild the wheel with a new rim, or get a new wheel.
yeah it was bent. I tried to retrue it but it was too hard and had wild differences in spoke tension. I ordered a new rim and will rebuild
Old 09-08-22, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Can move arm above head with assist from other hand. (will) get back on the bike. in 3-4 weeks?
hmmm ... good luck with that!
Old 09-08-22, 07:39 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmmm ... good luck with that!
are you implying that’s unrealistic?
Old 09-09-22, 04:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

are you implying that’s unrealistic?
just wishing you luck, as someone who has been injured myself
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-09-22, 06:15 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I was bummed to read this, but am hopeful for your recovery. Be super safe on your first excursions. I hope you heal well and quickly.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 09-09-22, 01:48 PM
Symox

Update

Recovering ok. Disappointed pain has come back a bit. Was hoping healing would be linear improvement, guess not.
Likes For Symox:
Old 09-09-22, 09:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Recovering ok. Disappointed pain has come back a bit. Was hoping healing would be linear improvement, guess not.
You must take your time. This summer I rode bike once in July and once in August due to consecutive, relatively minor (i.e., not from crash) injuries to each foot. You will get better sooner by not rushing the recovery.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-10-22, 04:47 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
You will get better sooner by not rushing the recovery.
used to work w/ an older guy like myself & we had a kind of private joke, but not a joke, where if one of us tweaked something, the other would say: "give it 6 months". meaning don't push it, let it heal. I tweaked my shoulder's AC joint last February & it's still cranky if I sleep on that side
Old 09-22-22, 07:08 PM
Symox

Great followup with doctor after accident

Said I'm doing great, no followups unless I want. Range of motion and healing excellent. Said as long as I don't crash and pain isn't too bad that I can ride. Will be at risk of rebreaking for several more months if I crash.

Woohoo. Went on an easy ride today and I LOVED it

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom and support
Old 09-22-22, 07:11 PM
Symox

3.5 weeks today

and got back on the bike for an easy ride.

So happy that the initial assessment by the ER doc of not riding for a YEAR was grossly incorrect.
Likes For Symox:
Old 09-22-22, 07:50 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
and got back on the bike for an easy ride.

So happy that the initial assessment by the ER doc of not riding for a YEAR was grossly incorrect.
Great to hear that you're back to riding. I've been forced off my bike a few times for medical issues (not cycling related), so I don't have to imagine how much you wanted to get back in the saddle.
Likes For Random11:
Old 10-07-22, 11:51 PM
Symox

had another nice ride today. after 4 weeks off i'm definitely low on stamina, but it sure does feel great to ride again

Especially since I gave the bike some TLC to fix stuff damaged in the crash and some other stuff (new skewer, brake cables, fork, rims and helmet)

Life is good
Likes For Symox: