Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding/walking away after a crash

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding/walking away after a crash

Old 09-01-22, 07:29 PM
  #1  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 234 Posts
Riding/walking away after a crash

How many crashes did you have before you had to call someone because you were too injured to get yourself home? Its never happened to me, knock on wood. Id wager that descents are the main culprit for the truly bad crashes… or is it cars?
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 09-01-22, 07:56 PM
  #2  
Kai Winters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern NY...Brownville
Posts: 2,152

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 96 Posts
I've been hit by 5 cars in over 35 years of riding and racing. I've crashed in races maybe the same but not bad for nearly 50 races per season. The last car that hit me was the first that saw me carried to the hospital in an ambulance. Hit head on by a careless driver in a mini van. Broke both arms, fractured my L1 and assorted bruises, etc. as well as a bad case of PTSD that reared its ugly head when I was able to get back on my bike. I think I had to call my wife twice to come get me after a car hit me...once was to bring me a spare front wheel...she was not pleased but did as I asked...what a woman !.
It happens when riding on the same roads as vehicles...just not often if we are lucky.
I'm still riding and at 66 still manage near 7000 miles plus this year...won a race in my age division this year and have placed well with the whipper snappers in open divisions lol.
Kai Winters is offline  
Old 09-01-22, 08:43 PM
  #3  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,899

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9172 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 3,225 Posts
I can't remember crashing and having to get a ride home. Maybe when I was 10 or 11?...but back then I would not want to call because I didn't want to get in trouble for riding stupidly.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-01-22, 09:22 PM
  #4  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 2,416 Times in 1,403 Posts
How many crashes before calling for help? Are we talking about in one ride or cumulatively?

Haven’t crashed on the road bike in 30 years and the last time I was taken out by a fellow rider whose rear tire slipped out from under him on wet RXR tracks and took out my front wheel. All I got was a nasty case of road rash and tore the crap out of a new Gortex jacket.

Crashed dozens of times on my mountain bike. Never called for help, but one wreck was so bad, I had PT on a shoulder for 8 months but was still able to ride away - albeit slowly.
__________________
Beikforoom Cyclist “No regerts” 🚴🏾‍♂️






Last edited by rsbob; 09-01-22 at 09:36 PM.
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-01-22, 11:06 PM
  #5  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,939

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6794 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,121 Posts
Never called for help, but got a ride from a fellow rider once when my bike was way too broken to ride, and got a ride in an ambulance once when both bike and body were too broken to ride. Got a ride from a guy who wiped me out at a 4-way stop sign---he gave me some whiskey and pain pills too, which went well with my separated shoulder.

And I have carried home the pieces of my bike ......

How many crashes before calling for help? If you crash badly repeatedly in one ride, you probably need some kind of help. I pretty much only crash once in a ride, whether i can ride or have to walk or be carried away.

If what the question was supposed to be, "How badly do you or does your bike have to be damaged before you call for help," the answer is, when I and/or my bike are so damaged we need help.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 09:09 AM
  #6  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,944

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked 3,415 Times in 2,368 Posts
Technically I've never had to call for help. However once I re-gained my senses in a hospital room. So someone else must have called!
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-02-22, 09:40 AM
  #7  
mawn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Morocco
Posts: 51

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I try to go slow to avoid crashes. our health service is bad enough to remember them!
mawn is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 09:45 AM
  #8  
DonkeyShow
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 85 Posts
I had my first "crash" this morning. Was on some flats doing a quick shakedown and my handlebars came out the stem and I went ass over end. Thankfully only got a small scrape and was a quarter mile from the house. Had to walk my bike back.
DonkeyShow is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 10:43 AM
  #9  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,027

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3713 Post(s)
Liked 2,549 Times in 1,668 Posts
I've been riding forever, winter road, raced, commuted in the dark before any decent lights. Also gifted (?) with being clumsy. I cannot count my crashed or broken bones. But most crashes I[ve ridden home from. Exceptions: my fork failure and TBI. 5 day coma. Wrecked my shoulder on a car door plus concussion and wrecked bike. Hit by a car running a light I was an inch from clearing ahead of. (The car was running the light, not me.) The flip into the air broke my collarbone and a couple of ribs. Got up, walked to the curb, sat down and asked a bystander to call 911and ambulance.

Crashes without cars, I lost my front wheel twice. First time I still don't know why. Campy NR skewer. Yes, the old, poorly designed cam but still ... (First car by was a marine of the nuclear carrier Enterprise; home ported a mile from my apartment.) Second time long story re: my failing marriage. That crash wrecked my other shoulder, broke ribs, chipped a vertebra, collapsed my lung. I got to see pain at 10. (And asked the first bystander to call for an ambulance.) Had an old tire blow, come off the rim and jam in the seatstays. Got up, walked into the adjacent park, was questioned n detail by the cyclist following 50' behind to evaluate any head injuries (I slammed my helmet hard but passed his test nicely) Asked him to call for a taxi to take me to urgent care as I knew I broke my collarbone (and ribs but I kept my mouth shut about the ribs. One word and it would coast me $200 out of pocket, 4 more chest X-rays and the words "there's not much we can do. Ribs heal up nicely by themselves. They will hurt for a while."

Then there were the crashes where I broke bones but rode or walked home. Broken thumb, cracked wrist.

War stories. I ride. I get back on the bike as soon as I can. The bike is part of my spiritual journey and has been formally for 45 years. (After that big TBI, the hugemental breakthroughs were getting on the miserable exercise machine at PT and in 5 minutes, I was spinning the pedals at race speed and simply in a place I knew and loved. First moment since I emerged from the coma that I wasn't barraged by everything being brand new. Two months later, a bike friend lent me his Raleigh DL-1 Tourister to ride home on Boston's streets many inches deep in snow (Feb 1978 blizzard). Again, the ride! Doing what I love and knew how. (I had to learn to walk straight, button my shirt, hold a fork, tie my shoe laces, write

Now I am putting the finishing touches on the Peter Mooney I had my clubmate build a year after that accident to be my link to sanity. In a week I'll be riding it fix gear, my real love, in the Painted Hills of Oregon with Cycle Oregon. Bike has a brand new paint job and brand new wheels. 35 year old Mavic tubulars. Yes the sewups I rode for years, that were the Mooney's rubber until the mid '90s. (Age has caught up to me. I will be riding fixed, but not always in the same ratio. Bike is set up to have 2 or three ratios with nothing more than a wheel flip and I can carry a chainwhip - full shop tool that only weighs 20 oz - so I will have access to gears from 46-12 to 36-24. And every one of those combos fixed with a perfect chainline. No messing with either chainrings or chain length. 2 minutes to flip the wheel, 5 to change cogs.)
79pmooney is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 10:48 AM
  #10  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,783

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 488 Posts
I don't remember the 16 mph Crash or the Next Three Days in the hospital.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 10:55 AM
  #11  
Jack Tone 
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow View Post
I had my first "crash" this morning. Was on some flats doing a quick shakedown and my handlebars came out the stem and I went ass over end. Thankfully only got a small scrape and was a quarter mile from the house. Had to walk my bike back.
I would speak to my mechanic about that.
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 11:09 AM
  #12  
DonkeyShow
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone View Post
I would speak to my mechanic about that.
It's a 40 year old bike, the bad maintenance is on me. Really should put more effort into pre ride inspections.

Tbh I was <1 minute from a downhill section where I'd be doing 35mph soo kinda lucky I crashed when I did.
DonkeyShow is offline  
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-02-22, 11:24 AM
  #13  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,489

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 535 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19152 Post(s)
Liked 5,881 Times in 2,876 Posts
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 01:02 PM
  #14  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,027

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3713 Post(s)
Liked 2,549 Times in 1,668 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow View Post
It's a 40 year old bike, the bad maintenance is on me. Really should put more effort into pre ride inspections.

Tbh I was <1 minute from a downhill section where I'd be doing 35mph soo kinda lucky I crashed when I did.
Good bike. It was looking after you.
79pmooney is offline  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-02-22, 01:18 PM
  #15  
BkSaGo
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Southern California
Posts: 33

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I’ve ridden away from both of my adult crashes. Both were low speed.

The first, I was doing a “reverse ride” where I loaded the bike on the car and drove to one of my typical turnaround points then rode almost home, then back to the car. With about a mile left, I crashed coming off a bike/pedestrian bridge. Not sure what caused it - slick painted line, pedal strike, brain fart. I was scraped up a little, but was able to ride back to the car.

The second time, rode to breakfast with a couple friends. Continuing the ride after breakfast I tangled with a slow rider on a MUP - my fault, should have more careful making the pass. I decided to ride home instead of continuing the ride. Turned out I had broken the tip of my little finger - about the least significant break you could have.

OK, sort of had a third one. Tombayed in the driveway when I was a little slow unclipping after a ride. Didn’t really have to ride home since I was already there.
BkSaGo is offline  
Likes For BkSaGo:
Old 09-02-22, 04:30 PM
  #16  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,939

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6794 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow View Post
I had my first "crash" this morning. Was on some flats doing a quick shakedown and my handlebars came out the stem and I went ass over end. Thankfully only got a small scrape and was a quarter mile from the house. Had to walk my bike back.
That would indeed be a "donkey show."
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 04:34 PM
  #17  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,939

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6794 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I've been riding forever, winter road, raced, commuted in the dark before any decent lights. Also gifted (?) with being clumsy. I cannot count my crashed or broken bones. But most crashes I[ve ridden home from. Exceptions: my fork failure and TBI. 5 day coma. Wrecked my shoulder on a car door plus concussion and wrecked bike. Hit by a car running a light I was an inch from clearing ahead of. (The car was running the light, not me.) The flip into the air broke my collarbone and a couple of ribs. Got up, walked to the curb, sat down and asked a bystander to call 911and ambulance.

Crashes without cars, I lost my front wheel twice. First time I still don't know why. Campy NR skewer. Yes, the old, poorly designed cam but still ... (First car by was a marine of the nuclear carrier Enterprise; home ported a mile from my apartment.) Second time long story re: my failing marriage. That crash wrecked my other shoulder, broke ribs, chipped a vertebra, collapsed my lung. I got to see pain at 10. (And asked the first bystander to call for an ambulance.) Had an old tire blow, come off the rim and jam in the seatstays. Got up, walked into the adjacent park, was questioned n detail by the cyclist following 50' behind to evaluate any head injuries (I slammed my helmet hard but passed his test nicely) Asked him to call for a taxi to take me to urgent care as I knew I broke my collarbone (and ribs but I kept my mouth shut about the ribs. One word and it would coast me $200 out of pocket, 4 more chest X-rays and the words "there's not much we can do. Ribs heal up nicely by themselves. They will hurt for a while."

Then there were the crashes where I broke bones but rode or walked home. Broken thumb, cracked wrist.

War stories. I ride. I get back on the bike as soon as I can. The bike is part of my spiritual journey and has been formally for 45 years. (After that big TBI, the hugemental breakthroughs were getting on the miserable exercise machine at PT and in 5 minutes, I was spinning the pedals at race speed and simply in a place I knew and loved. First moment since I emerged from the coma that I wasn't barraged by everything being brand new. Two months later, a bike friend lent me his Raleigh DL-1 Tourister to ride home on Boston's streets many inches deep in snow (Feb 1978 blizzard). Again, the ride! Doing what I love and knew how. (I had to learn to walk straight, button my shirt, hold a fork, tie my shoe laces, write

Now I am putting the finishing touches on the Peter Mooney I had my clubmate build a year after that accident to be my link to sanity. In a week I'll be riding it fix gear, my real love, in the Painted Hills of Oregon with Cycle Oregon. Bike has a brand new paint job and brand new wheels. 35 year old Mavic tubulars. Yes the sewups I rode for years, that were the Mooney's rubber until the mid '90s. (Age has caught up to me. I will be riding fixed, but not always in the same ratio. Bike is set up to have 2 or three ratios with nothing more than a wheel flip and I can carry a chainwhip - full shop tool that only weighs 20 oz - so I will have access to gears from 46-12 to 36-24. And every one of those combos fixed with a perfect chainline. No messing with either chainrings or chain length. 2 minutes to flip the wheel, 5 to change cogs.)
Cool stories, bro .....

No I mean it. I really enjoyed your stories. Thank you foe sharing.

The blizzard of '78 .... you Rode a Bike? I was out on cross-country skis.

Again, thanks for the stories.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 08:51 AM
  #18  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 6,570

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5854 Post(s)
Liked 2,621 Times in 1,140 Posts
Second bike ride on my brand new 2022 madone Sl7 I crashed. 5 am, dark, going down a bike lane that I ride everyday. I hit a road work sign stand going about 25 mph. The stand had no sign, and it was laid right across the bike path. It was not there the day before nor was there any road work being performed or planned on being performed. I never saw it. One second I am enjoying the new bike the next second I’m slidding across the middle of a road, very aware of my head hitting the ground.

Tired went flat instantly, thought I bent the rim. I had pretty bad road rash, and a really bad hematoba on my shin. I was more pissed about my new bike than my injuries. Had to call the wife to get me but she didn’t wake up for another 2 hours so, I was stuck on the side of the road in the dark with a broken bike and bleeding all over the place.

Bike ended up being ok, after some XRays, I ended up being okay. I actually went riding again the same day on a different bike. My wife calls it stubbornness, I call it addiction.
bampilot06 is online now  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-06-22, 08:26 AM
  #19  
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Posts: 2,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 366 Times in 210 Posts
I broke my arm while riding in the third grade. I made it home on my own.

As an adult I have had three major crashes. On the first one the frame was cracked by a left hooking car. The second I was hit by a wrong way cyclist and the back wheel and chain ring were taco'd. The third was an encounter with a street person and I lost control of bike and back wheel also taco'd. It might have hurt, but I believe I could have rode home. The bikes, however, were too badly damaged.
bikecrate is offline  
Old 09-06-22, 08:58 AM
  #20  
Reflector Guy
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,223

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 1,134 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Maybe when I was 10 or 11?...but back then I would not want to call because I didn't want to get in trouble for riding stupidly.
Absolutely! I would have had my bike taken away if I crashed so badly I needed to be driven home. 100% certainty.
Reflector Guy is offline  
Old 09-06-22, 06:07 PM
  #21  
Symox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 641

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 132 Posts
Happened to me nine days ago. Good thing i didn't try riding/walking away as I had broken ribs and clavicle - I would have made things worse.
Symox is offline  
Old 09-06-22, 07:09 PM
  #22  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 926 Posts
A year ago tomorrow, I double flatted and went down. 10 broken bones. After untangling the left arm going 90 degrees the wrong way with the bone sticking out a little, I called my wife. She did not even say hello, instead she said, "What's wrong?" and I asked her why she said that...... "Because in all the years, you have never called me while on your bike, are you ok?' No, I am not ok. She gets me to the ER and I tell the Doc, I have a broken humerus, elbow, clavicle, 4 or 5 ribs and my hip hurts but not sure if it is broken. They sent me to the top dog trauma center, that was really interesting and fun to see a huge professional team in action like in the movies. Turned out I also fractured the scapula and they had to chop off the top of the ulna to get at the elbow and then reconstruct the ulna with two surgeries.

The question was how many years? 63 if my math is correct.

My first ride was 29 days post accident (bonus response)
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 09-06-22, 08:16 PM
  #23  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,432

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
A year ago tomorrow, I double flatted and went down. 10 broken bones. After untangling the left arm going 90 degrees the wrong way with the bone sticking out a little, I called my wife. She did not even say hello, instead she said, "What's wrong?" and I asked her why she said that...... "Because in all the years, you have never called me while on your bike, are you ok?' No, I am not ok. She gets me to the ER and I tell the Doc, I have a broken humerus, elbow, clavicle, 4 or 5 ribs and my hip hurts but not sure if it is broken. They sent me to the top dog trauma center, that was really interesting and fun to see a huge professional team in action like in the movies. Turned out I also fractured the scapula and they had to chop off the top of the ulna to get at the elbow and then reconstruct the ulna with two surgeries.
The question was how many years? 63 if my math is correct.
My first ride was 29 days post accident (bonus response)
6 weeks ago TODAY July 26, at 3:04AM at mile 30.4 of planned 100 miles WILD HOG #2 T-boned me in left leg fracturing Tibia. X-rays last Monday showing no bridging yet. Police officer drove by then turned around and eventually called ambulance when I started to become weird. He called wife and got no answer so I called wife and got no answer so another officer was sent to the house. Wife woke up, went to the front door, opened and saw officer and said What Hospital??? Too much for this 72yo p.s. - wife got me a Knee Walker and I all ready dumped it 2 times being stupid.

Originally Posted by Symox View Post
Happened to me nine days ago. Good thing i didn't try riding/walking away as I had broken ribs and clavicle - I would have made things worse.
Happened April 27, 2020 @ 1:25AM, mile 34 of planned overnight 100 miles-- WILD HOG #1 ran into me resulting in 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung, cracked SCAPULA, left shoulder trauma and some other stuff. Riding buddy picked up my bike and held it as I mounted then rode 4+ miles home, showered, dressed and wife drove me to ER then an AMBULANCE ride to a TRAUMA Hospital for 3 days. Was BACK RIDING in 18 days.

p.s. Was able to complete my *double my age* -- 70th Birthday ride in July

https://www.strava.com/activities/3741404995

p.p.s. APRIL 2011 E.R. visit via ambulance when a CRASH resulted in a minor Broken Neck and Clavicle plus a LTN -Long Thoracic Nerve injury. Was in a 24/7 neck collar for 16 weeks then finally able to get back on bike.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-07-22 at 05:00 AM.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-07-22, 06:50 AM
  #24  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 926 Posts
I worry much, much more about wild animals than cars although a donkey charged me the other day at the top of a climb. Scared me. I try not to ride when the deer are moving. One of the nice things about touring in europe is the relative lack of wild animals, I asked a colleague why there are so few. He said they ate them all centuries ago, so Florida get eating
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 09-07-22, 10:36 AM
  #25  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,939

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6794 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
. One of the nice things about touring in europe is the relative lack of wild animals, I asked a colleague why there are so few. He said they ate them all centuries ago, so Florida get eating
Seems to me the more effective course would be to start eating tourists.

I hear snowbird tastes just like chicken.
Maelochs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.