Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-06-22, 08:04 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Most likely it's one of our state rail trails like the Sparta-Elroy which requires a state trail pass.
No. Paved trail in the northern part of the state. No passes and no fees required.
Old 09-06-22, 08:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Just to be clear an e-bike is a bicycle and bicycles must be pedaled in this case to get assistance. You might be confused and conflating the e-mopeds sometimes sold as bikes simply because they look like a bike usually with crap bicycle parts and throttles which mean you don't need to pedal and are in some cases banned in a lot of places.

Let's be careful not to conflate e-bikes which require pedaling with BSOs with throttles (in this case not just calling all of them wallymart quality but just using it as the literal definition of an object shaped like a bike)

In terms of multi use pedestrian paths yes e-scooters, mopeds and other throttle based motor devices don't belong there but we must also recognize that bikes would be the SUV on that path since we are the biggest and fastest vehicle so it is important we share the path as well. If it is a dedicated bike path then have fun but on the MUP we should share the path.

In terms of e-bikes it is not just for certain people anymore and those who are still against them are stuck in the past and it is time to move forward. You don't have to own one or love them but try one and tell me you didn't have even just a little bit of fun. I use mine nearly daily to commute and get groceries and run other errands and keep out of cars and buses and such. It has got me riding a lot more and if people don't think that is a net good, that is a problem that needs to be addressed across the board. Bikes are great and if people are able to ride them more and pedal easier or go further or whatever that is always excellent. Let's get more butts on saddles and pedaling.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-06-22, 08:16 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
where a motor would come in really handy on a tandem is on long or steep hill climbs. I have ridden regular tandems for 20 years and there are many a hill (1.5 miles 8% is the one I always had to ride to get home) would have been fantastic.
yep thats where we use it most. we can do short 20% grades and a few blocks of 18% most of our hills are short but can be steep. we have climbed for over a hour steady before.
Old 09-06-22, 08:28 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ah...But how many more people will be getting in theirs cars to drive to trails to ride their eBikes when they otherwise would have stayed at home absent those bikes?
We don't use the same examples of people driving to bike trails to ride their bikes as an overall criticism of bike riding on the road for transportation.
Old 09-06-22, 08:34 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
We sure find a lot of ways to complain about what other people ride.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-06-22, 08:38 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I bet somewhere out there, there's a kayaking or SUP forum with a thread complaining about electric surfboards.
Is that a real thing?
Old 09-06-22, 09:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
In a lot of states you can get a license to ride up to a 250cc motorcycle at age 14 that will hit 100mph

Putting a suggested age of 21+ on an e-bike is akin to ATV manufacturers putting "Must be 16 or older to operate" stickers on their goods. You do what you can to limit your liability exposure as a manufacturer, but people are gonna be people
if the sticker is there, & a crash happens, it should make the case pretty easy to determine who's at fault.
Old 09-06-22, 09:33 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg
Old 09-06-22, 09:51 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Is that a real thing?
Oh yes! 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcbtgrChOgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcuVfYq6UP8
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-06-22, 10:57 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Damn seems pretty fun. That's the thing with e bikes tho, it's fun but fun gets boring kinda quick. In a utilitarian sense they are useful, but I got a car for that.

I did just get a 15lb anchor system for my sups set up this weekend. It's pretty awesome. I pull in trophy bass while I get a tan; way more satisfying than cruising around.
Old 09-07-22, 04:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,385 Times in 2,048 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
No. Paved trail in the northern part of the state. No passes and no fees required.
So even smaller towns, less jobs. not a chance they're commuters.

I'd bet a lot of these are rentals driven by tourists sort of like in Door county. People who wouldn't normally even ride a bike
Old 09-07-22, 06:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I'd bet a lot of these are rentals driven by tourists sort of like in Door county. People who wouldn't normally even ride a bike
The good part here is that if the people are exceptional unskilled and have no balance or coordination, they will crash a bunch and give up ... or they will learn to ride a bike (it is pretty simple after all) but that is less entertaining to watch..
Old 09-07-22, 08:16 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Sometimes I enjoy seeing people on e bikes because I think gee I am doing this ride all on my own power. My biggest gripe on the trail is when a group of people are walking on the trail and spanning the whole width. They know we are coming but still don't want to move.
Old 09-07-22, 08:21 AM
prj71

So even smaller towns, less jobs. not a chance they're commuters.
Correct.

That could be. There are three places in the general area that rent bikes.
Old 09-07-22, 08:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I get the commuting aspect of it and I've thought about one for myself so I don't come into the office all sweaty. The recreational aspect I can kind of see, but usually most of us get into cycling for the physical fitness aspect of it. Failing to see why young folks want an e-bike when they are capable of pedaling.
used to wonder why young fit ppl are spending so much time at the gym. now I just accept it
Old 09-07-22, 09:18 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 433 Posts
Because society is getting fatter everyday. Look around you.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-07-22, 09:49 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just to be clear an e-bike is a bicycle and bicycles must be pedaled in this case to get assistance.
Not from what I have seen. There are more kids (12 or so) on throttle e-bikes than I’ve seen on regular bikes in years. In the area where I live nothing is flat and for years you wouldn’t see many kids pedaling a BMX type bike around. Now kids just cruise up the hills.

You can call them what you want to call them, they aren’t pedaling to keep the bike moving. Usually they ride on sidewalks. Sometimes they’ll turn the pedals a few times and stop pedaling, and sometimes they just start off with power from a complete stop.

I would think the vast majority of e-bikes are throttle type that don’t require any pedaling to get an assist. Too much speed for too little movement.

I do think there is a natural tendency to turn bike pedals and then throttle the bike when someone is tired of pedaling or wants to go faster.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-07-22, 10:03 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
used to wonder why young fit ppl are spending so much time at the gym.
Hopefully to stay fit and healthy.

America has an obesity problem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300778/

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blo...-health-crisis
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-07-22, 10:11 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The good part here is that if the people are exceptional unskilled and have no balance or coordination, they will crash a bunch and give up ... or they will learn to ride a bike (it is pretty simple after all) but that is less entertaining to watch..
A different kind of entertainment = watching newbies backing up then launching and retrieving their newly purchased boat
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-07-22, 11:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Strangely enough, this just popped up in the news:

America Has An E-Bike Problem That Can’t Be Solved With More E-Bikes

E-bikes do have a big problem in the U.S., one that I have been increasingly concerned about as someone who very much advocates for e-bikes and wants to see them take off in this country. It is related to Bogost’s point that e-bikes don’t quite fit with any American identity, but in a much more—literally—concrete way. E-bikes don’t belong anywhere in particular on American infrastructure, which makes them both more frustrating, more dangerous, and more annoying than they otherwise could be. And it’s unnecessarily generating friction between traditional cyclists and e-bikers despite their obvious shared interests in repurposing street space from automobiles.
I am not the only cyclist getting increasingly frustrated with electric-things in NYC. There has been a noteduptick in the number of posts on the NYCbike sub****** on the issue over the last year or so. I have personally come within inches of being cleaned out by a rider on electric-conveyance of nearly all varieties within the last six months, in varying situations and circumstances. In fact, on my particular routes, electric devices have become a greater safety hazard than cars; I am still more likely to die from being hit by a car, but I have more regular close calls and potential injuries from conflicts with electric devices. To this end, I agree with the “middle aged biking lady” with 15 years of riding experience in NYC who said “it’s never been this bad.”
...given the thread topic, this is an interesting read. Not so much "Get off my lawn !" as "How many people can be on my lawn before it's a problem ? Do I need to move to a larger lot ?"
Old 09-07-22, 11:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
This is a little off topic, but also interesting with regard to e-bikes:

New York’s E-Bikes Keep Catching Fire

Old 09-07-22, 11:32 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
if the sticker is there, & a crash happens, it should make the case pretty easy to determine who's at fault.

In the hypothetical situation of

If a motorist has a "3 cocktail lunch" and is driving home and is sideswiped by a car in an intersection who ran a red light. Is it our guys' fault because he was tipsy? I mean, he should have been paying more attention although his light was green

That analogy is a bit of a stretch to be sure, but i was just trying to illustrate the fact that ignoring a rule, law or guideline doesnt make you guilty across the board of every contingency
Old 09-07-22, 12:05 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

This thread is part of a conspiracy by Big Dental Floss.
as Frank Zappa sang:
I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of Dental Floss
Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box I can sell uptown
By myself I wouldn't Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely Dental Floss

https://www.letssingit.com/frank-zap...tycoon-z1bfjwc
LetsSingIt - The Internet Lyrics Database
Old 09-07-22, 12:11 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
It's not that e-bikes go so fast that bothers me, instead it's the way they tend to chase other bikes, knock them down and steal their lunch money.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-07-22, 02:44 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
It's not that e-bikes go so fast that bothers me, instead it's the way they tend to chase other bikes, knock them down and steal their lunch money.

or insult them for wearing white after labor day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.