Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help/advice about a Peugeot Chorus

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 03:50 PM
DaCox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey was going to buy this Peugeot Chorus but not really sure about the year. It seems to match the color of the 1988 us brochure model. Person sent pictures and from reading around, it seems like the 753 frames are good. It's close by so i can go and pick it up. What price should I get it for? I like the colors do think it will be a good ride? Was going to upload pictures too but they don't let you upload pictures until you post 10 times. Als0 what years did they make choruses to and from and was the color specific to that year? Silly question but looking through the brochures on bike boom peugeot .com for the usa i don't see the chorus listed in any other year than 1988. does this mean they only made this model for this year or did it go by a different name?
Old 09-15-22, 04:54 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
All 753 framed bikes are sought after by collectors! This is definitely a rare and desireable bike. Buy it before somebody else snaps it up!
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-15-22, 06:15 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Peugeot Chorus was only marketed in the USA during the 1988 model year. This one has had most of the Campagnolo Chorus parts removed and has been retrofitted with pre-CPSC Campagnolo Record components that are at least a decade older than the frame. It looks, heavily used, neglected and even abused. The frame itself has condition issues with severe chipping, scratches, abrasion and some rust. Given the cosmetic issues, I'd be worried about mechanical condition of the components and dents in the tubing. This would have to be very cheap to interest me. There's a lot of money and work required to make it respectable. Selective photo assist...

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-15-22 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 08:23 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks T-Mar. How did you get those photos. I tried to post them but it wouldn't let me. That's the exact one i was looking at. Also, what would you pay? Like 50$ cheap? or...

Last edited by DaCox; 09-15-22 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 01:19 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCox
Thanks T-Mar. How did you get those photos. I tried to post them but it wouldn't let me. That's the exact one i was looking at. Also, what would you pay? Like 50$ cheap? or...
Yes
Old 09-16-22, 07:07 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,962 Posts
At $50 cheap you buy and leave with a smile. The crankset is worth twice that.

That said, when the ask is anywhere over a certain point unless the frame is in decent shape it becomes a more expensive parts bike.

If the frame is sound but rusty, you can always get rid of the harmful patina and touch up to prevent rust.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-16-22, 07:24 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
And keep in mind, Reynolds 753 is very thin and therefore very vulnerable!
Old 09-16-22, 08:09 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
Yeah, you really have to watch it when you buy steel frames that looked like it might have been not well taken care of like this one. The rot might be deeper than what you can see at first glance.
Not sure if it's the case but it seems like I've seen more rusty 753 frames that others made with different tubing. I'm wondering....Would different steel alloys have different resistance to rusting??
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 09-16-22, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

This is the type of bicycle that I'm reluctant to assign a dollar value without an in-person inspection. It does not present well in the photos, so there's a good probability that there are further issues that will only reveal themselves by a physical examination.

As noted by other members, 753 is a very thin, lightweight steel. Consequently, it's more susceptible to dents and any corrosion compromises an already thin tubing wall. There are no apparent OEM parts, with the possible exception of the seat post. Even the headset has been replaced. So, why wasn't the seat post replaced with the other components? Maybe it's seized? Or maybe the donor bicycle had the incorrect size seat post? Frozen seat posts can beome a major project in even a lesser frame but extreme care would required to extract one from 753. A frozen post would elicit a hard pass from some members and a drastic price reduction from others, but you won't know unless you take some wrenchs and test its movement.

The bicycle has been neglected. So what is the condition of the bearings races, chain, chainrings, sprockets, etc.? Are the derailleur pivots sloppy? As noted, the crankarms can fetch a tidy sum, but many of the older design also suffer cracking.

So, while the frame and the older components are desirable, unless they have good service life remaining, the bicycle can quickly become a money pit, as replacement costs escalate with the level and age of the parts. For the most part, it's something you can't judge from the photos but the overall neglect suggests there will be other issues beyond what is apparent in the photos.

Is it worth $50? Yes. You could almost certainly get that out it, somehow. Many would be happy to pay that, even it turned out to be just a wall hanger. $50 is cheap admission to say you belong to the "753 Club". However, beyond that the attractivenss decreases depending on the issues and since there is a high probability for unseen issues, I don't have a reasonable confidence level in where the fair price point lies.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-16-22 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 10:13 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Yeah, you really have to watch it when you buy steel frames that looked like it might have been not well taken care of like this one. The rot might be deeper than what you can see at first glance.

Not sure if it's the case but it seems like I've seen more rusty 753 frames that others made with different tubing. I'm wondering....Would different steel alloys have different resistance to rusting??
In my experince chromium-molybdenum has a higher corrosion resistance than manganese-molybdenum, which has a higher corrosion resistance than high tensile steels. Corrosion resistance of steels can be increased by the alloying agents and since chromium doesn't oxidze but manganese does, CrMo tubesets should be more corrosion resistant than MnMo tubesets.

The other thing that affects steel's corrosion resistance is the application of a coating/plating, such as a phosphate, prior to priming anf painting. These are common rust inhibitors on consumer grade models but are often omitted on pro level bicycles, where the expected life is relatively short. Being used almost exclusively on pro level, racing models, 753 would have a higher probablity of not having a rust inhibiting coating/plating, than a lower grade consumer model, made of something like 531.

The use of corrsion resistance coatings/platings are also highly dependent on the manufacturer. You're more likely to find it on models by a large, mass volume manufacturer, who can invest in the additional coating/plating equipment, whereas small volume manufacturers are more likely to omit it.

Overall, when you consider the combination of alloy, intended use and the manufacturers, there's a greater probality of finding higher rust rates on 753 frames, than other high grade tubesets.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-16-22 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added closing paragraph
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-16-22, 12:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
You need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 to pose pics.

And welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.
Old 09-18-22, 05:24 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for all the posts. the owner told me to "pound sand" over ebay messenger when i offered him 50$ and explained all the issues you guys presented . Lol. He's about 2 hr away from me so I don't think I'll be going to get it even if he offers a lower price. Don't really trust him at this point any more. He might just try to get me to travel out 2 hr and say f off again. I will say that it may be my fault for pitching such a low bid. He was asking 175. Thanks again though. I'm new to this so i might have made a mistake not buying this.
Old 09-18-22, 07:19 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
I’m attempting to get a Peugeot Dolomites, Reynolds 531 Professional from France. If that chorus was my size, I would drive the two hours and inspect it for the price of $175. Any steel bike that is 40 years old is going to have scratches, and probably some rust. I would want to make sure the frame wasn’t in an accident that bent the forks, down tube, or top tube, close to the head tube. I’d check the seat and stem to see if they were stuck. If it passed, I’d say $175 would be quite a score for that model Peugeot, with campag, and I would assume English threading. Just my two cents.
Old 09-20-22, 08:05 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the post. i guess i will. I don't mind spending the money.
Old 09-21-22, 03:10 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,962 Posts
I wouldn’t have been rude but I would have said the same. The crank, pedals, shifters and FD are worth 2-3 times that by themselves.

Thanks for all the posts. the owner told me to "pound sand" over ebay messenger when i offered him 50$ and explained all the issues you guys presented . Lol. He's about 2 hr away from me so I don't think I'll be going to get it even if he offers a lower price. Don't really trust him at this point any more. He might just try to get me to travel out 2 hr and say f off again. I will say that it may be my fault for pitching such a low bid. He was asking 175. Thanks again though. I'm new to this so i might have made a mistake not buying this.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-21-22, 04:23 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't think many or any of the parts are original as T-Mar said in his first post with the pictures. I still can't post pictures or links until i post 10 times but looking at the picture in the brochure, the crank design looks total different from the one that's on the owners bike and the derailleur says Campagnolo Muovo Record. The brakes say Campagnolo BrevInter. don't know much about these parts. Any of them good?
Old 09-21-22, 04:35 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
I don't think many or any of the parts are original as T-Mar said in his first post with the pictures. I still can't post pictures or links until i post 10 times but looking at the picture in the brochure, the crank design looks total different from the one that's on the owners bike and the derailleur says Campagnolo Muovo Record. The brakes say Campagnolo BrevInter. don't know much about these parts. Any of them good?
As T-Mar pointed out to you in his first answer, most if not all Chorus parts have been changed to earlier record models, BUT as others pointed out, they are also sought after, expensive parts based on condition to some extent, but also by default as they are Campagnolo. You can check ebay (but you might get better with local classifieds, as ebay often throws highly priced almost new condition ones) for Campagnolo Nuovo Record in your area to get a rough idea about values.

Lattz
Old 09-21-22, 04:37 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oh ok. Didn't know. Thanks. Thought he was just talking about if it had original parts.
Old 09-21-22, 05:06 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
I don't know the US prices, but over here, you can get a Chorus 1st gen. groupset without wheels or hubs for ~USD400, crank alone like 60-70, derailleur as well, (on average, you can find cheaper ones, but those are beaten). If you would go that way for originality, at least a quarter to a half of that you could cover by the current set. But keep your eyes peeled for local prices. Also ask members here in the "appraisals/what would it worth" section before you sell or buy, if unsure.
Old 09-26-22, 05:45 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting. Well i bought the bike for 150$. Went to get it on Sunday.
Likes For DaCox:
Old 09-26-22, 05:48 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well i bought the peugeot chorus on sunday for $150. This is from the guy that told me to "pound sand" when i offered him $50. He was originally asking 175. Going to post details after this post so i can upload pictures to as i only need one more post to be able to post pictures.
Old 09-26-22, 06:28 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So, after getting the bike I inspected it. There are some problems. The handlebar stem is frozen. I don't have any penetrating oil right now so I'm going to have to wait to get that. The front tube is popped. The derailleurs do not function correctly or I am using them wrong? I'm not sure, but the shifters won't stay in place when I try to shift. The shifters just go back to the top. Is there a special way to use these? The back left drop out is maybe slightly bent? Idk let me know. Does the rust in the seat tube look bad? Like, should I be concerned about it? The brakes actually work great and the rims are very true except for the back rim which is very slightly out of true. Let me know if you see any more problems or want me to post more pictures.

Seat tube

Bent?

Bent?

Likes For DaCox:
Old 09-26-22, 06:46 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
So, after getting the bike I inspected it. There are some problems. The handlebar stem is frozen. I don't have any penetrating oil right now so I'm going to have to wait to get that. The front tube is popped. The derailleurs do not function correctly or I am using them wrong? I'm not sure, but the shifters won't stay in place when I try to shift. The shifters just go back to the top. Is there a special way to use these? The back left drop out is maybe slightly bent? Idk let me know. Does the rust in the seat tube look bad? Like, should I be concerned about it? The brakes actually work great and the rims are very true except for the back rim which is very slightly out of true. Let me know if you see any more problems or want me to post more pictures.
Hiya ,

Looks like an all right deal for $150.00 !

There is probably something missing or loose in the shifter levers . That will make them return when changing .
Maybe pop them off and show us an exploded view of the parts you have ,
Better still locate and use some simplex retrofriction levers .
Work great and appropriate for a Peugeot .
How nasty is that scrape on the downtube by the levers ? Just paint or dent? ( please say no dent)

Go gentle as possible on the stuck stem . Brute force is not your friend ! Especially on 753 tube.

HAve fun with it !
Look forward to updates .
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 09-26-22, 06:48 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I got a peugot monaco a week ago for $25 because the back tire was completely bent and destroyed . the frame looked completely fine and it was. I went down to the local bicycle co-op and was able to get a set of used 700c rims, tires and tubes for $90. I have been using it as a commuter for now. I got larger width tires because the roads around here are crap.
Old 09-26-22, 07:01 PM
DaCox

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Hiya ,

Looks like an all right deal for $150.00 !

There is probably something missing or loose in the shifter levers . That will make them return when changing .
Maybe pop them off and show us an exploded view of the parts you have ,
Better still locate and use some simplex retrofriction levers .
Work great and appropriate for a Peugeot .
How nasty is that scrape on the downtube by the levers ? Just paint or dent? ( please say no dent)

Go gentle as possible on the stuck stem . Brute force is not your friend ! Especially on 753 tube.

HAve fun with it !
Look forward to updates .
Thanks man and I will. This is probably going be what I dump most of my money into try to fix and update. I will look into the simplex retrofriction levers and post some pics of the shifters dissembled. The scrape is just cosmetic. Just some paint scraped off. no dent. . I'll try to be gentle on the stem. Never fixed a frozen stem before but the local co-op has repair stations you can rent out for $5 an hour with like every park tool tool there is. I'm just going watch a ton of vids on it and most of the staff at the co-op are very helpful so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.