Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 01-12-22, 09:17 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I winterized the 90s Wheeler MTB w/ studded front tire, front wheel w/ dynamo hub, B&M lamp, and front fender. Took it to work this morning though the roads and paths were largely cleared of snow and ice. Did find some.

Old 01-13-22, 03:33 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Been mighty cold here in NE PA, but warmed to 40s today! That did make for quite a salty mess to clean up post ride.
Old 01-13-22, 07:07 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Been mighty cold here in NE PA, but warmed to 40s today! That did make for quite a salty mess to clean up post ride.
The river looks even colder! You're a harder man than I (it was a bit nippy for me wearing shorts/short sleeves at 65 degrees in AZ today)

Any concerns with ice on that MUP? I'm thinking a very, very cold bath could be on the cards if one slid at speed and went off to the left!

DD
Old 01-13-22, 08:12 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
The river looks even colder! You're a harder man than I (it was a bit nippy for me wearing shorts/short sleeves at 65 degrees in AZ today)

Any concerns with ice on that MUP? I'm thinking a very, very cold bath could be on the cards if one slid at speed and went off to the left!

DD
Yeah, a tumble down there would be quite painful. The path actually was mostly clear, which surprised me. We had snow and then some ice here recently. There were a few spots with some remaining ice, but easily seen well in advance so I just took it easy over them. Supposed to get much colder this weekend with a snowstorm.

65 in AZ - I'm jealous!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-13-22, 08:47 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I had to go to wallyworld across town to have tires installed. Rather than wander around there, I packed a bike and rode a short distance to Chambers Creek golf course. Nice views and some groovy little hills.

Old 01-14-22, 05:57 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
My ride, yesterday, was about 50 mile further south than Brian's so temp was about 45°. Still, this time of year, you gotta stay diligent for winte hazards. Any dark area on the pavement could be ice, likely water but don't chance it. Solid ice, black ice or a water/ice mix. Track the sun as, even at 40°, shaded areas could still be iced over. If in doubt steer to the north or west edge of the pavement and stop pedaling, coast over it. Or walk.

And be much more watchful for gravel or rock salt, or both. It will be in places that are always clear the rest of the year. Especially watch for rock salt at intersections where the trucks slow for stop signs or traffic but do not close the gate. Oh, and when plowed snow melts, chunks of ice will tumble back onto the pavement. Winter is a bad time for distracted riding.

yeah, it's different but better than riding inside all winter. And my indoor track is only about 8' long.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-14-22, 11:33 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
My ride, yesterday, was about 50 mile further south than Brian's so temp was about 45°. Still, this time of year, you gotta stay diligent for winte hazards. Any dark area on the pavement could be ice, likely water but don't chance it. Solid ice, black ice or a water/ice mix. Track the sun as, even at 40°, shaded areas could still be iced over. If in doubt steer to the north or west edge of the pavement and stop pedaling, coast over it. Or walk.

And be much more watchful for gravel or rock salt, or both. It will be in places that are always clear the rest of the year. Especially watch for rock salt at intersections where the trucks slow for stop signs or traffic but do not close the gate. Oh, and when plowed snow melts, chunks of ice will tumble back onto the pavement. Winter is a bad time for distracted riding.

yeah, it's different but better than riding inside all winter. And my indoor track is only about 8' long.
Yup, all those hazards are familiar to me; in fact, these days I avoid riding in temps lower than the 40s if there's been recent rain. It's too easy to miss a tiny spot of ice, particularly if you're paying attention to traffic or whatnot, and end up having a really bad day.

Cabin fever or broken collarbone? Hmmm...I'll take door number one since I don't heal up as fast as I once did

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-15-22, 05:40 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,726 Times in 526 Posts
I woke up at stupid o'clock this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so as it was foggy and all atmospheric and mystical outside, I thought I'd pop out for a spin and try to capture the moodiest pics my boggo standard phone camera could muster. Was just above freezing here in London this morning, so I wrapped up warm, minimised the leaning and avoided those deadly metal drain covers and any icy patches.

It started off really foggy but gradually cleared up, here's HMS Belfast and the world famous silhouette of Tower Bridge, ....honestly guv

Our den of thieves, or the Houses of Parliament as its more commonly known. After 3 years of repairs at an eye watering cost, they removed the scaffolding to reveal the famous old face of Big Ben, Big Ben actually refers to the Bell and not the clock itself. The old bell tolls on the hour and is used as the countdown to the New Year, and the start of traditional New Years Eve firework display, which alas was cancelled because of Omicron this year.

On the opposite side of the river Thames sits St Thomas Hospital, originally located further down the river in Southwark it has been based in Lambeth since 1871, but the hospital has been providing healthcare freely, or under charitable auspices since the 1100's. Florence Nightingale laid the foundations for modern UK nursing when she established her nursing school at the hospital in the 1860's. Our feckless, lying, tail chasing Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted here with Covid following breathing difficulties back in April 2020, in the week prior he'd been boasting of shaking hands with people in a hospital on the very day the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) advised against doing so. They nursed him back to health and sadly Boris the virus has been released back amongst an eye rolling British public.

The walkway along the river front of the hospital has been turned into a very moving National Covid Memorial Wall. It stretches a few hundred metres, all the way through and beyond the fog of this picture, and is covered in hearts in which people are invited to add an inscription to someone loved and lost due to Covid.

I coast along the cycle route along the Thames towards the business district, stopping off at St Paul's Cathedral, good morning fellow cyclist....

I do like this view of the old church in the foreground and the modern building we know as the Gherkin looming out of the mist behind it.

Nearby there was a new artwork on display called Orphans by Bram Ellens, it is made up of paintings that had become orphaned after their owner died and the art was discarded by their heirs, and were gathered by the artist from undertakers and thrift stores and made into new works. As its breathing new life into old works I'd have preferred the original art to be displayed on the outside rather than hidden on the inside, but I'm just a muggle.

And following all that drab winter grey, after it had brightened up a bit I managed to add a bit of colour by stopping at what looks like a relaxing countryside pond in spring time, look the daffodils are out, I look forward to the days in the coming months when the real ones are flowering.

Last edited by botty kayer; 01-15-22 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-15-22, 06:38 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Well, you are no muggle in my book!
Thanks for taking the time on our ride, to stop and take those photos.
Thats a landscape I might never encounter in person (still hopeful....), and certainly whets my appetite to make a trip to London happen before I get too darn old!

[QUOTE=botty kayer;22374743]I woke up at stupid o'clock this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so as it was foggy and all atmospheric and mystical outside, I thought I'd pop out for a spin and try to capture the moodiest pics my boggo standard phone camera could muster. Was just above freezing here in London this morning, so I wrapped up warm, minimised the leaning and avoided those deadly metal drain covers and any icy patches.

QUOTE]
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 01-15-22, 08:14 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Nice pics botty kayer!

Was last in London back in1980 - need to return some day…
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 01-15-22, 08:34 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
I woke up at stupid o'clock this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so as it was foggy and all atmospheric and mystical outside, I thought I'd pop out for a spin and try to capture the moodiest pics my boggo standard phone camera could muster. Was just above freezing here in London this morning, so I wrapped up warm, minimised the leaning and avoided those deadly metal drain covers and any icy patches.

It started off really foggy but gradually cleared up, here's HMS Belfast and the world famous silhouette of Tower Bridge, ....honestly guv

Our den of thieves, or the Houses of Parliament as its more commonly known. After 3 years of repairs at an eye watering cost, they removed the scaffolding to reveal the famous old face of Big Ben, Big Ben actually refers to the Bell and not the clock itself. The old bell tolls on the hour and is used as the countdown to the New Year, and the start of traditional New Years Eve firework display, which alas was cancelled because of Omicron this year.

On the opposite side of the river Thames sits St Thomas Hospital, originally located further down the river in Southwark it has been based in Lambeth since 1871, but the hospital has been providing healthcare freely, or under charitable auspices since the 1100's. Florence Nightingale laid the foundations for modern UK nursing when she established her nursing school at the hospital in the 1860's. Our feckless, lying, tail chasing Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted here with Covid following breathing difficulties back in April 2020, in the week prior he'd been boasting of shaking hands with people in a hospital on the very day the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) advised against doing so. They nursed him back to health and sadly Boris the virus has been released back amongst an eye rolling British public.

The walkway along the river front of the hospital has been turned into a very moving National Covid Memorial Wall. It stretches a few hundred metres, all the way through and beyond the fog of this picture, and is covered in hearts in which people are invited to add an inscription to someone loved and lost due to Covid.

I coast along the cycle route along the Thames towards the business district, stopping off at St Paul's Cathedral, good morning fellow cyclist....

I do like this view of the old church in the foreground and the modern building we know as the Gherkin looming out of the mist behind it.

Nearby there was a new artwork on display called Orphans by Bram Ellens, it is made up of paintings that had become orphaned after their owner died and the art was discarded by their heirs, and were gathered by the artist from undertakers and thrift stores and made into new works. As its breathing new life into old works I'd have preferred the original art to be displayed on the outside rather than hidden on the inside, but I'm just a muggle.

And following all that drab winter grey, after it had brightened up a bit I managed to add a bit of colour by stopping past what looks like a relaxing countryside pond in spring time, look the daffodils are out, I look forward to the days in the coming months when the real ones are flowering.
Fantastic, thanks for these photos Botty! I like the above foggy photo of Tower Bridge and HMS Belfast in particular.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 01-15-22, 08:37 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I had to go to wallyworld across town to have tires installed. Rather than wander around there, I packed a bike and rode a short distance to Chambers Creek golf course. Nice views and some groovy little hills.

Dylansbob - how do you like those moustache bars for longer rides? Are those moustache or 'albastache'? I'm considering trying these on a fixed-gear Peugeot build.
Old 01-15-22, 09:10 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Dylansbob - how do you like those moustache bars for longer rides? Are those moustache or 'albastache'? I'm considering trying these on a fixed-gear Peugeot build.
I can't vouch for more than the 1hr rides my body allows, but I like them once I get them set up right. They do seem to be a little tricky, I typically shorten up the stem 10mm or so. These are actual Nitto Moustache, I have the Origin8 knockoffs (identical curves, drop) on my old tracklocross rig and another pair somewhere. When I got my first pair, ~'02, I ran them with RSX STI levers. When DualControl came out soon after, it was like deja vu for me.

Old 01-15-22, 06:57 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Solo shakedown ride on the new-to-me Cutter tandem. Still some sorting to do, but what a great bike.

Learned me a lesson about left leg trouser damage!

I love this view under the Sellwood Bridge.

Likes For JacobLee:
Old 01-16-22, 12:57 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Took the Robust around the block a few times today, to get it right. The weather wasn't too bad for January, and just before it set, the sun even showed itself briefly.

Old 01-16-22, 02:17 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
Nowhere, technically. I had meniscus repair in mid-December following a twisting injury to my left knee. Today was my first time in the saddle, 25 minutes on the trainer, about the duration of my one-way commute, spinning on my International townie. I HATE riding a trainer and always have, but this felt pretty good.

Old 01-16-22, 02:39 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Today was my first time in the saddle, 25 minutes on the trainer,
I completely agree that the trainer is boring. Still, I leaned on mine heavily during recovery from femur surgery in 2017. It's definitely handy to have when you need it. Best of luck on your recovery.

My most recent attempt at alleviating trainer boredom has been to try rollers for the first time (borrowed from a fellow BF denizen whose handle I can never recall for the mention). For the time being at least, it's anything but boring. I can finally stay up for a few minutes at a time, but my shoulders are still tense and my eyes are glued to the front wheel. Not sure I'll ever cook while riding rollers.

Old 01-16-22, 03:54 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Burning off the potatoes before the 9er game. Nice cloud day.

Old 01-16-22, 03:59 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I completely agree that the trainer is boring. Still, I leaned on mine heavily during recovery from femur surgery in 2017. It's definitely handy to have when you need it. Best of luck on your recovery.

My most recent attempt at alleviating trainer boredom has been to try rollers for the first time (borrowed from a fellow BF denizen whose handle I can never recall for the mention). For the time being at least, it's anything but boring. I can finally stay up for a few minutes at a time, but my shoulders are still tense and my eyes are glued to the front wheel. Not sure I'll ever cook while riding rollers.

https://youtu.be/ybFvomdhW2Y
One day I oughta try em.

Old 01-16-22, 04:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
A couple couple of nice weather days so the the bike path to Alma was almost clear of snow.

Old 01-16-22, 07:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Thankful to post this thread

Just pics- but it was ‘sweet 16+’ smilin miles. Who says the Winter bikes have to all have fenders?

Something about rock walls and black bikes.

Green fields and well fenced

edit: Trying the Wolfpack clinchers - that are touted to be smooth yet with a tire tread that is more resistant to cuts and puncture flats. All that has been available (at least lately) stateside has been 23mm clincher. So on a discounted hunch, financially speaking, I took the leap. So far pleased with them after several rides with light gravel. I will clean and inspect them for cuts.

C&V downhill winter mossy trials course

The ‘gravel’ = hard packed and rain washed

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-17-22 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 09:14 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Sonoma Coast/ Motobecane by djk762, on Flickr

Sonoma Coast/ Motobecane by djk762, on Flickr
Old 01-16-22, 09:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts

Sonoma Coast/ Motobecane by djk762, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

I was Santa Cruz county, but there are times
of the year when I miss California.

……and of course that SantaCruzin vibe….!!!
Old 01-17-22, 08:05 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 326 Posts
Love all those shots from warmer places. Winter arrived late but haven’t been on a bike for over a month. Not the CA coast, but the stars or full moon aligned, the temp was close to 40 here today, and the road was mostly clear of ice. Not C&V but mostly steel gravel bike was the easiest to pull out to sneak in a rare January ride today.

Old 01-18-22, 01:01 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts

Nice morning ride on my Austro Daimler Puch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.