Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightweight clinchers+TPU tubes vs tubeless for 2nd wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 10:34 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 441 Posts

I'm planning to setup a 2nd wheelset with deep dish wheels. I'll use this wheelset for fast group rides on city streets. I can't decide if I want to go with lightweight 25c tires with TPU tubes focusing on speed or 28c tubeless tires for the slightly better comfort and puncture resistance? I like the idea of lighter weight and speed with the 25c tires, but knowing how bad the roads are in my area, going tubeless with bigger tires might be better especially with the endless road cracks and potholes. My only issue with the tubeless 28c tires is the increase in weight.

Given the choice between the two, which would you choose? Thanks for any responses!
Old 07-22-22, 11:35 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
28mm tires and TPU tubes an option ?

weight increase might be small ?

example: +15g per tire GP5000 when moving from 25mm to 28mm (?) - and can use same size tube
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-23-22, 01:31 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I can't decide if I want to go with lightweight 25c tires with TPU tubes focusing on speed or 28c tubeless tires for the slightly better comfort and puncture resistance?
If you're expecting the narrow option to preclude comfortable pressure choice on the roads you'll be riding, the wider choice may well be faster.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-23-22, 05:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
No brainer. Wider tubeless. My new Zipp 303s homeless wheels are working great. I'm using Pirelli p zero 30mm that measure 31.5mm on 23mm internal width rims. For my weight 54/57 psi. Great for chip sealed roads.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-23-22, 06:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Tubeless.
Old 07-23-22, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I'm not a fan of tubeless for secondary wheelsets that are used sporadically and may go unused for long periods of time - I think that the maintenance starts to outweigh the potential benefit.

That said, if these are going to see regular use, then I'd absolutely go tubeless optimized for modern 28mm tires. Like DaveSSS, I have Zipp 303S and find them to be fast, comfy, and light... which then raises the question: why wouldn't something like that be your everyday wheelset?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-23-22, 10:12 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm not a fan of tubeless for secondary wheelsets that are used sporadically and may go unused for long periods of time - I think that the maintenance starts to outweigh the potential benefit.

That said, if these are going to see regular use, then I'd absolutely go tubeless optimized for modern 28mm tires. Like DaveSSS, I have Zipp 303S and find them to be fast, comfy, and light... which then raises the question: why wouldn't something like that be your everyday wheelset?
I'm already running tubeless on my gravel bike and love them. I was planning to run tubeless on the road bike, but I'm currently running lightweight TPU tubes with 30c clinchers. I actually have no issues with this setup either since they're quite lightweight. Though in the long run, I do see myself migrating fully tubeless, but clinchers with TPU tubes do tend to save quite a bit of weight by almost 100g.
Old 07-23-22, 10:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,546 Times in 1,784 Posts
I'm tempted to try TPU tubes, but currently I'm staying with Vittoria latex. The Vittorias, at 80 gm, are heavier than TPU, but they tested better than any other tube for rolling resistance.

Source: bicyclerollingresistance.com

Old 07-23-22, 12:22 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Sure, even compared to light butyl tubes, the lightest TPU tubes are only marginally (<1W) faster and the standard Tubolito is in fact slightly slower. I've used light butyl for next to two years by now. No issues at all. light, low packed volume, holds air fine, normal patch routine and waaay cheaper than TPU.
Old 07-23-22, 02:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Given the choice between the two, which would you choose? Thanks for any responses!
Thought about which tire width would be more aero with whatever rim width your deep wheels have?
Old 07-23-22, 02:27 PM
WhyFi

I'm already running tubeless on my gravel bike and love them. I was planning to run tubeless on the road bike, but I'm currently running lightweight TPU tubes with 30c clinchers. I actually have no issues with this setup either since they're quite lightweight. Though in the long run, I do see myself migrating fully tubeless, but clinchers with TPU tubes do tend to save quite a bit of weight by almost 100g.
So, what's the secondary set of wheels going to get you that your current, primary set doesn't provide, then? Are the new wheels going to be deeper? Unless you're running super delicate tires for special events - like very supple TT/race tires with little protection - secondary wheelsets for a dedicated road bike just don't make a whole lot of sense to me, anymore. With modern wheels, tires, you can kinda have your cake and eat it, too.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-24-22, 08:11 PM
jonathanf2

So I picked up the tubeless 28c tires. I'm having a hard to beading the tire. With my Gravelkings, I can just bead most of the tire by hand and then use the air compressor to finish the rest. With the smaller 28c tires, it's much more difficult to bead. Would using the inner tube method work by beading one side and then pouring sealant on the non-beaded side work to get a proper seal?
Old 07-24-22, 11:04 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Did you try to apply some soap water? Do you have access to a compressor? I second WhyFi here - tubeless are more hassle then they are worth if you don't ride them regularly.
Old 07-25-22, 11:18 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by vtje
Did you try to apply some soap water? Do you have access to a compressor? I second WhyFi here - tubeless are more hassle then they are worth if you don't ride them regularly.
I have no problem beading my gravel tires, but this the first time I've tried beading 28c road slicks. Maybe this is why Panaracer only does tubeless up to 32c with the GKs? I'll try a couple tricks today and the soapy water to see if it'll help. If not, I'll head over to my LBS. Thanks!
Old 07-25-22, 12:14 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
For me Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack is a life-saver when dealing with tight tires.
Old 07-25-22, 12:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I have no problem beading my gravel tires, but this the first time I've tried beading 28c road slicks. Maybe this is why Panaracer only does tubeless up to 32c with the GKs? I'll try a couple tricks today and the soapy water to see if it'll help. If not, I'll head over to my LBS. Thanks!
Are you using an air compressor or booster pump?
Old 07-25-22, 03:49 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Koyote
Are you using an air compressor or booster pump?
I was able to get the tires beaded by removing the valve core + using the inner tube method (beading one side) + wrapping the tire with rim tape to keep air in the tire while using a gas station air compressor. This method was a bit tedious, but it worked perfectly and I think I can easily repeat the results later on to make the process simple and painless specifically for road tubeless tires. I didn't even bother with soapy water. Anyways, I plan on doing a fast group ride tomorrow, so I'll see how this setup works. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old 07-25-22, 04:40 PM
WhyFi

I was able to get the tires beaded by removing the valve core + using the inner tube method (beading one side) + wrapping the tire with rim tape to keep air in the tire while using a gas station air compressor. This method was a bit tedious, but it worked perfectly and I think I can easily repeat the results later on to make the process simple and painless specifically for road tubeless tires. I didn't even bother with soapy water. Anyways, I plan on doing a fast group ride tomorrow, so I'll see how this setup works. Thanks everyone for the advice!
What wheels and tires are you using?

There's always a bit of a tubeless learning curve and it sounds like you're doing more/making it harder than it needs to be. The soapy water works well and is quick - you just need a $2 spray bottle with water and a few drops of soap. I just give each wheel a few sprays to make sure the rim tape is slippery (pinch and wiggle the tire all the way around the wheel to confirm). With a halfway decent compressor (or just a floor pump, in many cases), most modern wheel/tire combinations should pop on without much fuss - no need to use a tube, seat one side, yadda, yadda.