Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike chain grime

Old 08-04-22, 10:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
(Note: I wouldn't characterize UFO Drip as has having "little lubricant". The old 2017 MSDS says it had up to 30% waxes.)

My observation that horrible lubes are low viscosity and have little lubricant is based on published test data. The worst performing lubes in the Velonews tests were reported to be "thin". Notice the clustering of "thin" lubes at the bad end of the graph:

However, one can't conclude that all thin lubricants are poor performers. The tests also found some low viscosity formulations that perform well, like the Rock n Roll products. At least they perform well on the Velonews test. Rock-n-Roll Gold didn't do so well on the Zero Friction wear tests.

Given that low viscosity has been correlated to poor performance, but it's not universal, how does a consumer know what they're getting? Review test results, I guess.
Go back and look at magnitude of the range. The chart is showing a range of 4.5 W to 8 W or a total of 3.5 W of difference. “Horrible” is a relative term when speaking of such small differences. In terms of energy, that 2.6 kcal/hr. To put it in food terms, that’s 1/10th of a teaspoon of sugar (500mg). I wouldn’t say that low viscosity is correlated with poor performance at all.

Nor would I say that all low viscosity lubricant have low levels of the lubricant. Rock-n-Roll Gold has about 20 to 40% lubricant. White Lightning Clean Ride and White Lightning Epic have about the same range. Finish Line Wet, to pick one at random, is 50 to 85% oil but it performs “worse” than Rock-n-Roll Gold.

The main takeaway from all this is that the chain lube doesn’t really matter all that much. A chain is cheap. A chain will wear out no matter what you do to it. It’s not worth losing a whole lot of sleep over. If there were one magic lubricant that was vastly superior to the other lubricants, we would all be using that one. But there really isn’t one that performs better than others. They all work well enough on a wear item. From a personal standpoint, I choose the one that requires the least amount of fuss when it comes to maintenance.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-04-22, 04:02 PM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by james89
(just so we're all on the same page here - I HATE scammers and everything about them), but maybe this guy is in the same boat that I am. I have a few questions on a Trek I recently purchased and want to make a thread to show it and get some advice, but sometimes forums can make it difficult to even get the ball rolling. When I first tried to make a thread, I couldn't - I was told I have to have at least 10 posts. When I tried getting my posts up, I couldn't - I was told I can't make more than 5 in a day. On the second day, I tried making 5 more posts, I couldn't. Even though it was after 24 hours, it said I needed to wait 24 hours. When I tried replying with a quote that included an image, I couldn't - I needed to get back to my 10 word-only replies. If this guys really a scammer, have at em'! If he's dealing with what I've been dealing with - give him a break.

To answer his question - take care of your bike and it will take care of you - clean your chain.
Post counts and post content is completely different. I've already chased 3 scammers out of here, and they were all totally identical in nature; all their content was SUPER broad and SUPER vague. There was never any real substance about ANY of their posts. I could describe it more accurately but I dont want to give any tips to these guys. Every single one of their posts were "What's your favorite seat?" , "How much do you like your bike?" or "Yea,I agree!" I was born at night but not last night. I know when someone's just full of ****. You can also tell that English is a second language for them by how simple they keep their grammar and sentence structure. It's just obvious...

Old 08-04-22, 04:07 PM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Zero Friction Cycling has tested the new formulation: Lubricant On Test : Ceramic Speed UFO Drip v2

TL;DR -- Second lowest block 1 (no contaminants) wear ever tested.

Fair enough, my initial statement was overly general. Performance of commercially available drip-on, wax-based lubes is highly variable, ranging from superior to horrible.
Actual wear resistance and/or friction reduction are not the same as effort reduction. I just waxed 3 different chains 3 different ways, and those 3 bikes are harder to pedal than the bikes I have a wet lube on. Just to keep people in the know.

Old 08-04-22, 04:46 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by buddiiee
Actual wear resistance and/or friction reduction are not the same as effort reduction. I just waxed 3 different chains 3 different ways, and those 3 bikes are harder to pedal than the bikes I have a wet lube on. Just to keep people in the know.
Are these 3 bikes otherwise identical to your “wet lube” bikes?

Hold on, was that sarcasm?

Old 08-05-22, 02:54 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Does anyone know if Squirt will "re-emulsify" if exposed to (hot?) water or is it a one way street requiring degreaser or solvent to remove it?
Old 08-05-22, 08:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I use this. Much like cycocommute, I no longer have to clean my chain and drivetrain since switching to this. Cleaning and degreasing has become a thing of the past. Never have any grime at all anywhere after hundreds and hundreds of miles of mountain biking, road biking and gravel riding.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon.../dp/B00KMMFE8Y

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-...s%2C107&sr=8-1

Last edited by prj71; 08-05-22 at 08:46 AM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-05-22, 08:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Since I dont ride in the dirt, and always wipe my chain down before each ride. I use Mobile 1, and have little chain grime.
Old 08-05-22, 09:24 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Even if you don't ride in dirt using an oil based chain lube will pick up fine particles from the road and eventually you will have grime.
Old 08-06-22, 04:36 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by prj71
Even if you don't ride in dirt using an oil based chain lube will pick up fine particles from the road and eventually you will have grime.
Im not so sure wax isn't also picking up dirt. Testing squirt on a glass plate to see what its like, it dries to consistency very similar to what new chains come packed with (!) - A soft waxy substance that will easily take a finger print and hold on to random "dirt" I could find in my apartment (ground coffee). Agitating with a finger, its readily absorbed into the wax. Im betting, after several applications and several hundred miles a wax lubed chain will be full of dirty wax, just like a chain with factory grease*.

*why is factory lube always referred to as "grease". Im betting it actually is wax. At least there is a video on YT showing how chains are lube at the factory. Looks like a bath of hot wax to my eyes.
Old 08-06-22, 05:12 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Grime isn’t a given. I’ve ridden tens of thousands of miles on dirt roads without collecting grime. Grime comes from using the wrong lubricant. As a long term user of White Lightning, I don’t have to clean nor degrease ever! I don’t even have to lubricate that often. It makes life a whole lot easier than when I used oil lubricants 20 to 25 years ago.
UPDATE, as I read through the feast of the thread I see you answered these questions, thanks.

you use the clean ride? Sound e like, similar to waxing it would be wise to remove and clean the chain thoroughly first, then would it be wise to wax and then use clean ride as a supplement or 100% clean ride product only.

Last edited by Bogey Speedwell; 08-06-22 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-06-22, 06:37 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
UPDATE, as I read through the feast of the thread I see you answered these questions, thanks.

you use the clean ride? Sound e like, similar to waxing it would be wise to remove and clean the chain thoroughly first, then would it be wise to wax and then use clean ride as a supplement or 100% clean ride product only.
You can use Clean Ride without cleaning but the chain will be dirtier throughout it’s life. It’s not as dirty as oiled chains but handling the chain will leave your hands black. I clean off the factory lube before use with mineral spirits and then use Clean Ride or, occasionally Rock ‘N’ Roll exclusively. I can then handle the chain as much as I like without it leaving my hands covered in black gunk.

I have tried White Lightning Extreme Ride in the past and it’s got quite a bit more oil in it so it’s a dirtier lubricant. I’ve also tried both Rock ‘N’ Roll Gold and Absolute Dry. Absolute Dry is similar to Clean Ride in cleanliness and Gold is closer to Extreme Ride…i.e. leaves behind black gunk.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-06-22, 06:46 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Im not so sure wax isn't also picking up dirt. Testing squirt on a glass plate to see what its like, it dries to consistency very similar to what new chains come packed with (!) - A soft waxy substance that will easily take a finger print and hold on to random "dirt" I could find in my apartment (ground coffee). Agitating with a finger, its readily absorbed into the wax. Im betting, after several applications and several hundred miles a wax lubed chain will be full of dirty wax, just like a chain with factory grease*.
It depends on the formulation and the wax. Waxes come in a range of hardnesses from Vaseline (a soft wax) to hard candle wax to, well, asphalt. If you every cross country skied on wax base skis, you would understand that better. Wax for 0°F is super hard while waxes for 35°F are super sticky. Klister is even softer. The formulation of different wax lubricants depends the wax used. The wax for Squirt is a very soft wax while Clean Ride uses a much harder wax.

*why is factory lube always referred to as "grease". Im betting it actually is wax. At least there is a video on YT showing how chains are lube at the factory. Looks like a bath of hot wax to my eyes.
It is, and I’ve mentioned that before numerous times. But people, generally, have little understanding of chemistry and call things by various incorrect names all the time. Don’t get me started on the difference between “clear” and “colorless” or “scale” and “balance”! I can hear Dr. Salzman every time someone uses those terms incorrectly.

And I just love ads at gas stations for “pure gasoline”!

Old 08-06-22, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
people, generally, have little understanding of chemistry and call things by various incorrect names all the time
reminds of when ppl refer to "aspirin" for a headache, when they mean anything for a headache, including but not limited to, ibuprofen or acetaminophen
Old 08-06-22, 07:14 AM
Racing Dan

If factory lube is in fact wax (I believe it is), then why would the Squirt manufacturer recommend stripping the chain before application? I says right on the bottle to remove factory grease completely. However I see no reason to believe squirt is incompatible with factory lube. In its dried form it closely resembles the sticky stuff on a new chain and to a lesser degree, but not far off, what is found in the old school MC melt wax tins.
Old 08-06-22, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
If factory lube is in fact wax (I believe it is), then why would the Squirt manufacturer recommend stripping the chain before application? I says right on the bottle to remove factory grease completely. However I see no reason to believe squirt is incompatible with factory lube. In its dried form it closely resembles the sticky stuff on a new chain and to a lesser degree, but not far off, what is found in the old school MC melt wax tins.
It’s not that the lubricant is incompatible with the factory lubricant. Nothing used as a chain lubricant really is incompatible with that lubricant. But leaving the factory lubricant in place may lead to inconsistent or undesirable results. I used to use White Lightning over the factory lubricant without any performance issues. However, the chain was far dirtier when doing so. The solvent in most any chain lubricant is insufficient to clean off all of the old lubricant so you end up with things being a bit messier than if you clean the chain throughly first.

Just to be clear, I’m not cleaning my chains any more than just shaking it in mineral spirits for about a minute. The elaborate 500 set cleaning regimens that some people use for chain cleaning is entirely unnecessary. Keep it simple. It’s all that is needed.

Old 08-06-22, 09:54 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Forgive if this classic Sheldon Brown spoof was already mentioned - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Old 08-06-22, 10:04 AM
Racing Dan

It’s not that the lubricant is incompatible with the factory lubricant. Nothing used as a chain lubricant really is incompatible with that lubricant. But leaving the factory lubricant in place may lead to inconsistent or undesirable results. I used to use White Lightning over the factory lubricant without any performance issues. However, the chain was far dirtier when doing so. The solvent in most any chain lubricant is insufficient to clean off all of the old lubricant so you end up with things being a bit messier than if you clean the chain throughly first.

Just to be clear, I’m not cleaning my chains any more than just shaking it in mineral spirits for about a minute. The elaborate 500 set cleaning regimens that some people use for chain cleaning is entirely unnecessary. Keep it simple. It’s all that is needed.
Thats about what I was thinking. Im striving to do as little drive train maintenance as I can get away with too. No more washing or stripping chains for me. Im down to wiping the chain and cogs with a microfiber cloth before lubing. Sometimes with a bit of solvent, paint thinner or the like, to get rid of black gunk and build up on the chain rings and jockeys. If I get a decent chain life Im happy with that. We'll see.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 08-06-22 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-06-22, 10:05 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by duffer1960
Forgive if this classic Sheldon Brown spoof was already mentioned - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Spot on! haha :-)