Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Old 08-05-22, 09:53 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Sure you might enjoy them. If you are not that strong, in that good a shape, are a very tiny person, or are a senior citizen, then you will enjoy as many gears and as light a bike as you can get, and if you are not that alert or good a rider, then those good brakes might get you out of a jam. As far as ergonomics go, road bikes have not changed in design for 120 years.

The most popular section of BikeForums is the vintage section by far, which means a lot more people agree with me that new stuff is not necessary than agree with you.
I'm still trying to figure it out, beng. Are you willfully ignorant, trying to justify your own preferences/limitation, or just a troll?

Last edited by Eric F; 08-05-22 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 08-05-22, 09:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm still trying to figure it out, beng. Are you willfully ignorant, trying to justify your own preferences/limitation, or just a troll?
Yes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-05-22, 09:59 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Here is a recreational rider on a 90 degree head tube, 90 degree seat tube angle bicycle. Look at her hip angle. Look how slow she is.

(I dunno, man. Just throwin' it out there.)

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-05-22, 10:00 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I thought I was the baddest old fart? It's slipping away.
You're still the baddest old fart!

Just not one of the most obnoxious. 😜
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-05-22, 10:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I thought I was the baddest old fart? It's slipping away.

You're insufficiently flatulent for the title.
Old 08-05-22, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
On our monthly C&V rides, most of the riders have both C&V and modern bikes, so the idea that the C&V forum being popular means all those folks DON'T ride modern bikes is nonsense.

I'd bet most of the posters on that forum have more modern bikes in addition to their C&V bikes, and most of us have more than one C&V bike, and a tendency to acquire more, and fix them up, so we're constantly asking questions, posting pictures, bragging about how cheap we found this bike for etc.

I figured you had the "people who ride both" angle covered.
Old 08-05-22, 10:06 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Here is a recreational rider on a 90 degree head tube, 90 degree seat tube angle bicycle. Look at her hip angle. Look how slow she is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQBbHzypBro

(I dunno, man. Just throwin' it out there.)
With that chest parachute position she's going to become obese.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-22, 10:07 AM
big john

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're insufficiently flatulent for the title.
Mrs John might disagree.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-22, 10:19 AM
big john

On our monthly C&V rides, most of the riders have both C&V and modern bikes, so the idea that the C&V forum being popular means all those folks DON'T ride modern bikes is nonsense..
My friend runs a C&V ride out of a local store once a month. He has 2 of the most beautiful no-expense-spared old steel Colnagos I've seen, along with some other old bikes. He also rotates through a bunch of new bikes including a Sarto and an Officine Mattio. He looks older in the pic than he actually is.
Old 08-05-22, 02:26 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
Riding easier, faster, and further is more fun. If I only cared about exercise, I could chain a boulder behind my bike, ride from my back yard to my front yard, and call it a day. Exercise done. But how many times am I going to do that before saying, "this ******g sucks", and never touch my bike again?
Likes For Yan:
Old 08-05-22, 04:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Just got all this:

I’m sure I got suckered into it, but I sure am looking forward to installing it! I did confess to my wife that it won’t make my lardass any faster.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-05-22, 04:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Just got all this:

I’m sure I got suckered into it, but I sure am looking forward to installing it! I did confess to my wife that it won’t make my lardass any faster.
50/34? What, were there no REAL cranksets available?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-05-22, 04:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

50/34? What, were there no REAL cranksets available?
There were, but I’m not a real cyclist. There was also a 30/11 cassette available. Just a poser it seems.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-05-22, 04:51 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Just got all this:

Those dork discs are huge. And, why so many?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-05-22, 05:31 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Those dork discs are huge. And, why so many?
Because they break often.

Actually, They are for a new type of stoneware disc for a new brake system I’m about to patent.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-05-22, 06:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Because they break often.

Actually, They are for a new type of stoneware disc for a new brake system I’m about to patent.
Ceramic rotors...I bet they are real heat/fade resistant!

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-05-22, 09:23 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I defy you to explain how my suggestion you start a new thread because TT is by definition of the word "trial" outside the scope of this thread could justify this insinuation that I am a member of any kind of "thought police".
It still seems to me that I ride like I am in a time trial, or my rides are a form of time trial, against the clock, not drafting, often going as fast as I can (often because I want to get somewhere within a certain time, and often because I am comparing my ride with previous times). Describing my riders as a sort of time trial seems to me a communicative use of the phrase "time trial," but you are trying to insist that I only use that phrase, perhaps only think of that phrase in a different way. You seem to be attempting to police my use of the phrase "time trial".

This is a thread on non-competition, why did you even bring UCI into this?
When companies spend a lot of time money on innovation it is often the case that this results in an improvement in customer satisfaction. The relationship need not be linear, and I think beng1 feels that the relationship has become so exponential, or steep on cash side of the curve that innovations costing thousands lead to improvements that are almost worthless in terms of satisfaction. This is a point also made in comparison with Rolex watches, that both the watches and the bikes are better but not much better than a Casio or Schwin except in terms of bling.

My argument is a bit different in that I am saying that the cash spent on innovation is being spent towards a goal (UCI races and their riding style) not shared by many if not a majority of amateurs. In order to do this, in order for their to be a difference, there need to be similarities and comparison.

Go ahead, start a thread on this topic-I'll even title it for you "My Ideas on Bike Position, Fitness, Weight Control and Consciousness", No one's been stopping you.
If I want to start a thread I will.

I joined this one, incidentally, particularly because I was interested in and generally agreed with beng1's point of view.

I did start a thread recently to which there were no replies, unfortunately.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-c-1990-a.html
Old 08-05-22, 10:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by base2
Ceramic rotors...I bet they are real heat/fade resistant!
You laugh now. 😜
Old 08-06-22, 04:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by timtak
It still seems to me that I ride like I am in a time trial, or my rides are a form of time trial, against the clock, not drafting, often going as fast as I can (often because I want to get somewhere within a certain time, and often because I am comparing my ride with previous times). Describing my riders as a sort of time trial seems to me a communicative use of the phrase "time trial," but you are trying to insist that I only use that phrase, perhaps only think of that phrase in a different way. You seem to be attempting to police my use of the phrase "time trial".

I did start a thread recently to which there were no replies, unfortunately

Jeez, can't imagine why. LOL

Where did I force you to refer to what you do as time trial? You used the phrase throughout, and your position is a bad parody of tt. You linked to a petition of the UCI you started. Your posts are obsessed with UCI riders. You obviously don't know anything about how solo riders who want to ride for more than an hour ride, and you have gone into illogical rants insisting that comfort on a bike is some sort of slow poison.

My hope is you get a big dose of no responses here.

I believe you are likely the only person on earth nutty enough to go on a road looking through prisms. Maybe focus more on trying not to kill yourself and less on trying to save whoever it is you delusionally think you're speaking to.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-06-22 at 05:43 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 08-06-22, 05:19 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Jeez, can't imagine why. LOL
I can't say I am surprised.

Where did I force you to refer to what you do as time trial?
You did not. You seem to prefer to use the word, or abbreviation, tt to refer to UCI time trials and recommend that I do also.

You used the phrase throughout, and your position is a bad parody of tt. You linked to a petition of the UCI you started. Your posts are obsessed with UCI riders. You obviously don't know anything about how solo riders who want to ride for more than an hour ride, and you have gone into illogical rants insisting that comfort on a bike is some sort of slow poison.
Mainly I agree other than
1) If you believe that "time trial" only refers to UCI trime trial then I understand how you would see my position as a parody but from my point of view, my position is my time trial position, rather than a parody of the UCI time trial position. (That said, currently my position is a parody of that of Jacques Anquetil and Eddie Merckx, and my position used to be a deliberate parody, or partial emulation, of the UCI time trial position when I forward offset my saddle and bars to place them roughly where the bull horns of a time trial bike are. )

2) I don't think I am being illogical. I think that "comfort" in general tends to be a bit of a slow poison, and recommend you cut the comfort. Take up your bike and follow Jacques Cobb.

My hope is you get a big dose of no responses here.
I wish you success.

I believe you are likely the only person on earth nutty enough to go on a road looking through prisms. Maybe focus more on trying not to kill yourself and less on trying to save whoever it is you delusionally think you're speaking to.
Hey, thanks for remembering that. I posted about prisms years ago, I think. I tend to find I get quite a lot of interlocutors here but I am sure you will feel free to ignore me in future.

Tim
Old 08-06-22, 06:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
The UCI permits the use of pneumatic tires.

Should we now refer to pneumatic tires as “UCI Tires”?

Because that is basically the logic you are using to label a typical time trial position as “UCI”.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-06-22, 08:09 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
Yes. Yes.
I think I got so proud of the speed I was going on my forward offset long and low stem funny Frankenbike that I even stopped using the stairs at work. I stopped jogging too. If I get confident in my glutes I will put a Return of Frankenbike together.

Maybe I overdid it. I was not balanced but quite firmly planted on my hands and forearms. I definitely want to do it again.
I saw a picture of your old setup. You may have over did the downward tilt . You don't need that big downward tilt unless your butt is sliding backward when pedaling. If not, it's only causing discomfort and not really making you make more power.
Old 08-06-22, 08:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Timtak has no grounds for complaining about discussion or comparison to time trials, UCI or not - he's the one that introduced pro time trialing to the conversation, saying that pros rode setups like his when TTing.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-22, 10:00 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You and a bunch of other guys should try discussing the topic on hand, instead of hijacking threads every day and switching the subject to me??? Maybe you all can find a room in a forum somewhere and start a specific thread on me instead of littering and hijacking this forum and every thread I comment in with negative personal comments??? It is a commentary on the moderation of this forum that they let you guys keep dumping this trash into this forum every day of the week. Personal attacks ARE against the forum rules, commenting on the subject at hand is not, and if a comment does not happen to align with your personal opinions, that is no excuse for YOU or anyone else to begin personal attacks, but that seems to be the norm for at least half the regular population here.
Likes For beng1:
Old 08-06-22, 10:16 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
This is the actual topic at hand.

The true answer is that a typical bicycle consumer is better riding a new bike than a 44 year old steel bike with a 5 speed freewheel and friction shifters. Whether or not the new bike contains carbon has no impact.

Riding position, financial status, fitness level and all the other s#*t that has been posted is not relevant to the topic.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.