Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

9 speed or more, relative chain wear?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 02:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts

I remember going from 7 -> 8 -> 9 speeds, and there was concern that the chain and cassettes would wear out more quickly as the cogs and chains were thinned. I'd expect similar degradation in chain and cog life from 10, 11, and 12 speeds.

Has anyone kept track of chain or cassette wear, for similar use, going from 9 speed up? Part 2 and 3, what sort of conditions were you riding in, and what chain life did you observe on the different speeds?
Old 02-11-22, 03:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I remember going from 7 -> 8 -> 9 speeds, and there was concern that the chain and cassettes would wear out more quickly....
It's been so long I can't remember. Did this concern prove valid?
Old 02-11-22, 03:18 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
As far as I could measure, chain durability depends mostly on the quality, and maintenance (clean and lubricated lasts a lot longer, while even with a similar maintenance regime, some higher-quality chains last longer).
In other words, to my amazement, 10 and 11-speed chains don't always last shorter than 7, or 8-speed ones.

Can't really say anything about the cassettes. A lot depends on how much time one spends on one, or just a few sprockets. Couldn't find a way to reliably measure and compare cassette wear.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 02-11-22, 04:09 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
My nine speed goes through chains just a tad faster than the old seven speed. Not enough to worry about for me, maybe two a year max, instead of three in two years. I haven't replaced the cassette, maybe because I keep a close eye on the chain. A friend got surprised with her first nine-speed wearing out a chain and cassette, now she checks it more often.
Old 02-11-22, 04:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I went from 7 speed rears to 11 speed rears just over twelve years ago. While I think that my 7 speed chains lasted longer I can't prove it. I did wear out an 11 speed chain in a little less than 5000 miles. But the rings and cogs so far are not showing any signs of issues caused from wear.

It's not a big deal though. At least not to me. The advantages of more gears far out weighs any chain or cassette I might have to throw away. Plus, you get to be in the 21st Century, instead of smug with the delusions of vintage stuff as I was until I dared to try the new stuff.
Old 02-11-22, 04:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I thought my old 5/6 speed freewheels used to last absolutely forever. I had troubles finding ones with 12T, and think I had one 12T sprocket wear out many years ago. I wasn't the best at keeping the chain in tip top shape, but chains and freewheels all lasted quite well.

When I went car-free a couple of years ago... and upgraded to 9s & 11s, whew!!! I started chewing up chains and cassettes right and left.

Of course, my miles went way up, and I was putting on as many miles in 1 years as I had been doing in several years earlier. Probably in about 4 years I put on as many miles as I had done the rest of my life.

I'm not quite sure what caused me to have so many problems with the transition to cassettes.

One thing. If one is pretty good at not cross-chaining a 5 speed freewheel, then the chainline is relatively straight.

Go to 11 speed, and a more flexible chain, and one is always pulling a bit to one side or another.
Old 02-11-22, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
I, also, have no recorded data to show but I think the modern stuff wears faster than the older and wider cogs and chains. Back ith the day before 7 speeds were the boss chains had real bearing bushings. The cog plates were thicker and I know some who say were of a harder steel (softer steels cost less to stamp and form all those shifting aids in).

All this is personal observation, stories told by various industry members and some basic design principles. Andy
Old 02-12-22, 04:10 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's been so long I can't remember. Did this concern prove valid?
I don't know, which is why I ask for data either way.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-12-22, 04:12 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I, also, have no recorded data to show but I think the modern stuff wears faster than the older and wider cogs and chains. Back ith the day before 7 speeds were the boss chains had real bearing bushings. The cog plates were thicker and I know some who say were of a harder steel (softer steels cost less to stamp and form all those shifting aids in).
I never wore out a "10 speed" (2x5) chain with the bushing, but I've ridden a lot further with newer bikes.
Old 02-12-22, 07:01 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
The newer chains 10/11/12 speed may be narrower but they are actually designed for a wider deflection angle because of the width of the cassette.

I read a technical article a while ago and a SRAM tech stated that, while it's not ideal to cross chain, it is miles better in terms of longevity than the 7/8/9 Speed.